Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R freezes at bootup splash screen

Default GA-EP45-UD3R freezes at bootup splash screen

I just received a GA-EP45-UD3R and tried setting it up today. I was previously using an Abit IP35 pro but it started bluescreening and eventually failed to boot (my power supply just flashed an LED on and off when I tried to power it on, although the PS worked just fine with a PS tester I have and powers up just fine with the gigabyte board).

When I power on the GA-EP45-UD3R with my video card, RAM, processor/heatsink installed, it goes to the flash screen and the keyboard is completely unresponsive. I heard the post beep right before it gets to the splash screen and nothing afterwards. With a PS2 keyboard it blinks the num/scroll/caps lock LEDs at the post beep (USB keyboard does not flash at post beep). I tried resetting the BIOS, moving my stick of RAM from slot 1 to slot 2, hitting tab/del at different times (or just holding it) through the bootup sequence, plugging in a hard drive to the SATA port, plugging in the IDE connected to my CD drive... nothing. Any ideas?

I do not know what BIOS I'm on (as I have never been able to access the BIOS) but I just received this board a week ago from newegg.

Just one stick of this:
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065

This power supply:
    SILVERSTONE ST85ZF 850W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC SLI Certified Power Supply. It has a 12v3 connector (24 pin).

This video card:
    MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

And a Q6600 G0 stepping 65 nm core2quad intel CPU (LGA775)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R freezes at bootup splash screen

Those 2.2V Crucials have been known to be incompatible/picky on Gigabyte boards.

Can you test with any other ram to rule this out as part of your issues?

Ram should be in slots 1+3 also try 2+4 if you think you may have faulty slots.

Next step would be, if you cannot test with different ram, is borrow some ram to test with :) Really

Aside from that I can only suggest that you get it out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray, and put it on a wooden table or box. Then try it with only the minimal hardware CPU/Heatsink, One stick of ram in slot one, and your GFX Card. NOTHING ELSE, this will rule out shorts and faulty parts

But you really need to find/borrow/buy some different memory as this may be the only issue. 2.0V rated Crucial are fine I did a review on them, link in my signature if you would like to see. But I can say I do know there is/was issues with the 2.2V sets and Gigbayte boards, and just issues with them overall and they have been replaced with 2.0V Sets across the board

Just to follow up:

I was trying it with minimal hardware connected (just CPU/heatsink/RAM/GPU) and it was failing. No shorts in the motherboard and it was freezing right when it would normally start the RAM check. I didn't have any other RAM to test with but saw that the 2V ballstix was pretty cheap (and it always gets used in some PC sooner or later even if it wasnt the problem) so I ordered some. Now my PC boots up just fine, the problem is resolved, and I'm currently running Memtest86 for 4 hours and counting with no errors. Thanks for your quick and correct advice!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Superb to hear your issues are resolved!

Yeah DDR2 is getting pretty nicely priced these days, DDR1 is still insane though!

Ya, those new 2.0V Crucial's work great in Gigabyte boards, not sure why but some of the older ones have been known to cause many issues.

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything, again glad to hear all is now well!

Thread Information