Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BIOS checksums?

Default BIOS checksums?

Quick question guys...

I downloaded the latest BIOS for my board (GA-MA790XT-UD4P) and was going to flash it via the bios q-flash utility. After reading the image, it prompted me with a checksum and asked if I wanted to proceed.

I cannot seem to find what the correct value should BE, and thus can't tell if the file is corrupt or not.

Is there a listing, somewhere, showing the BIOS revisions and their corresponding checksums? Also, does the q-flash utility use a standard CRC-16, or some other algorithm?

I'm not overly worried about it, but since it DOES show me a value, I'd like to know what to compare it against.

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS checksums?

Thanks for the link to the guide, that answered a few other questions I had too. :)

I was hoping for a site somewhere that would list what the correct checksum values were for various BIOS revisions though. It just seems silly to have the flash utility display a checksum when there's no known-good value to compare it against.

Thanks!

The flash utility will always display a checksum. This info can usually be ignored.

The only time you need to really pay attention is when you get a message like "Checksum Missmatch" or "Checksum error, expecting xxxxxxx, calculated yyyyyyy, do you wish to procede with the flash anyway?"

Often for BIOS files the checksum for different versions can be the same. This is the case with the two different factory versions of my HD4850's. The checksum is used to verify that the file is the correct BIOS to use with the card, rather than actually verify the file is correct (not corrupt etc). The checksum is merely calculated from certain content on the file rather than being like an MD5 checksum that one would verify when for example downloading an ISO from a website, such as a Linux distro.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Ahhh, ok. That explains it. I won't worry about it then, although I still think it would be a good idea for manufacturers to put an MD5 on their site, just so you know if the file is intact before pulling the trigger. :)

Thanks again guys!

Thread Information