Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Default Re: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Haha! If I could sh1t money, I'd be taking laxatives by the handful and eating like 20 pigs!

I recommend something like a E5200, 4GB of DDR-800 maybe generic and a P43/budget overclockable P45. You should be able to get 3.4-3.8GHz from it and then sell the system, over clocked on eBay. You may even make a profit, especially if you can pack it with a cheap/discounted mid range GPU like a 4850/4770/4830 or a 9600GT/9800GT. that'd be a nice little gaming system for somebody, hopefully a righ guy willing to pay a nice price.

Let us know what happens either way. No matter if you go for another brand of board or not, it's nice to know that someone gets their problem(s) sorted in the end. I and everyone else here realises that sometimes brand loyalty has to be put behind actually getting a working system.

I'd still love to know exactly what the issue is with the boards you have had though. 3 failures is way more than the average for a single person to get a dodgy one. I knew Apples could rot your teeth, but they shouldn't harm a motherboard.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Overland Park in the Great State of Kansas

I guess I'll hold off buying a new MB till I hear something.

What's that saying about "Misery loves company."
    Kevin A Thornton
    KAT

For Fitness, Health and World Class Supplements
    http://www.fit2cash.com
    http://www.fit2cash.biz

For Essential Oils and Supplements
    https://www.youngliving.org/katman

Overland Park in the Great State of Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I knew Apples could rot your teeth, but they shouldn't harm a motherboard.
    Hay now, remember "An Apple a day..."
    Kevin A Thornton
    KAT

For Fitness, Health and World Class Supplements
    http://www.fit2cash.com
    http://www.fit2cash.biz

For Essential Oils and Supplements
    https://www.youngliving.org/katman

Haha! If I could sh1t money, I'd be taking laxatives by the handful and eating like 20 pigs!
    Ha ha ha ha! Thanks for the build suggestions too. Luckily I was able to borrow an iMac from a family member to hold me over until I get this fixed.

Ok, I have a couple more things I overlooked that could be causing the problem. I'd love your opinions.

For starters, the 2 GTX 260 video cards I'm running don't fit perfectly in to the case (Antec P183). There is about a 2mm/16th inch gap between the case and GPU bracket that screws into the case. When the screws are fastened all the way, it causes the mobo to bow down 2mm/16th inch. On top of that, Im running most the cabling behind the mobo tray which is causing another part of the mobo to bow up slightly because of the girth of the 24 pin ATX cable.

I can confirm that even with this bowing, the mobo is not shorting out on the mobo tray (I installed everything without the I/O shield so I could shine a light underneath to see), but could this bending of the board be causing something internally on the PCB to short? Or even causing a solder joint somewhere on the board to become loose, then short out the board?
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-10-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    What's that saying about "Misery loves company."
    That's the truth, and I need some company at this point!

Bowing/flexing of the board could possibly cause issues. Hard to tell if this is the cause of the issue but anything you could do to eliminate or at least lessen it would be best.

If you're not too worried about the GPU's warranty, or if you've ran out of guarantee, you could carefully file the groove where the screw holds the plate to the case by 2mm to compensate for the gap. If you want to avoid that, then some sort of double sided stickey pad, like the type used to fix rear view mirrors to car windscreens would likely secure the card enough to not need the screw.

For the PSU cable, again if the warranty is out or you don't care about it, you could always strip the braiding from the part of the ATX cable under the board. This will allow you to spread out the individual wires, making the whole thing a bit flatter. You could always buy a ATX extension cable and strip that instead if you have warranty remaining.

Bowing and bending can slowly kill things or quickly kill things. Over the course of 9 months, my T-Rad 2 cooler bowed my 4850. It was bowed the same amount at 9 months as it was when initially fitted but over time the card just buckled under the strain (maybe because of heating up and cooling down etc) and suddenly died.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Bowing/flexing of the board could possibly cause issues.
    For SURE!!

Psycho, good suggestions. I'll probably just use the double sided tape, like you suggested, or get some plastic washers.

So, I took the Antec Quattro back today and ordered a Corsair 750HX since many people seem to be having success with that PSU and the UD5. I'm going to try it with the current UD5 I have and if that doesn't work, which it probably won't since I'm pretty sure the board is bricked, I'll be ordering a new ex58 along with some OCZ ram which is also known to be compatible with the UD5.

If all that doesn't work? I'll probably just part it all out on eBay or Craigslist and start from scratch. I sure hope I don't have to do that though because I'll more than likely lose my ass selling everything. I'm pretty confident that after all these changes I should be good to go though. Here's to hoping!

Thanks again for all your help, guys!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I'd try to keep things out from behind your board if possible, especially your power cables or any cables as the end of the soldered items may stab into the cables and you may never find where this is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I'd try to keep things out from behind your board if possible, especially your power cables or any cables as the end of the soldered items may stab into the cables and you may never find where this is happening
    Yo Lsd,

I meant to say the cables were running up the back of the case behind the mobo tray, not between the mobo and tray. :-)

Unfortunately the mobo tray is very flimsy in that case and it moves easily when wires are run behind it and the side panel is put on (if the wire are too thick at least). Kind of silly as the case was designed to run the cables behind the mobo tray. It could definitely stand being a little thicker and have more reinforcement to keep it in place.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information