Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Ahh, ok! I wasn't sure since you mentioned the board flexing.

So what causes the board to flex then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, ok! I wasn't sure since you mentioned the board flexing.

So what causes the board to flex then?
    Since the tray is flimsy, having that 24pin ATX cable run behind it pushes on the tray once the side panel is attached because there isn't enough space between the mobo tray and side panel of the case, therefor slightly flexing the mobo. So what winds up happening is the video cards are pushing in on the mobo towards the bottom causing it to flex down, and the ATX cable is pushing up on the mobo tray causing the mobo to flex out towards the center to top. I hope that makes sense.

So if you were to look at the mobo from the back of the case, the mobo would be making a slight backwards S shape from the pushing in on the bottom and pushing out on the top.

Something like this, but backwards and not NEARLY as drastic...
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-14-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added image

Ahh, ya I would not be doing that at all. Damage could already be done though, but have you tried it with the cables not doing that and the cards not locked down so the board is straight?

Do it outside the case if you feel you have to, but if the board is flexed off the tray then damage may already be done too badly

Ahh, ya I would not be doing that at all. Damage could already be done though, but have you tried it with the cables not doing that and the cards not locked down so the board is straight?

Do it outside the case if you feel you have to, but if the board is flexed off the tray then damage may already be done too badly
    Yeah, I tried it out of the case, with many combination's. With GPU's and ram, without anything connected other than the CPU, etc., with no luck. The board appears to be straight out of the case. It just flexes with everything installed from the strain by the GPU's being screwed down and the cables being behind the mobo tray.

I ordered the Corsair hx750 PSU which got here yesterday. For the 24 hours previous to it showing up, I took the battery out of the board and shorted the CMOS pins. So it got a good 24 hours or more to clear. The CPU fan actually spun for a few seconds with the Corsair connected, which is something that never happened with the other PSU's after the board initially fried. I was optimistic for a few short seconds, but now the fans won't even spin. I power the board on, nothing happens other than a slight click from the PSU which corresponds with the DDR Phase LED's coming on. All the Corsair testing was done with the mobo laying flat on a wood workbench, same as the testing with the Antec CP850 and Antec 1000w Quattro PSU's. I tried the Corsair with both one stick of ram and none. FWIW, I tested the Corsair with an Antec PSU tester before connecting it to the mobo.

I'm a little gun shy on getting another UD5 and was thinking of maybe getting a UD3R. Those are the only 2 Ga-ex58 boards available at NewEgg now. I don't like that the UD3 only has 4 ram slots, but I'm a little worried that the UD5 may do the same again. But at this point I'm thinking it has to be user error.

EDIT: Went ahead and ordered another ud5 today along with 6gb of OCZ Plat.

Since I've tried 3 different PSU's now, the only thing I can attribute this problem to is the board flexing. Unless ram can cause this issue. I hate to not use the Crucial Ballistix since I can't return them being that I'm now out of the 30 day grace period, but I'm feeling I better get new ram with my next mobo purchase too. Do you think ram could cause this?

I guess the only other thing that could be contributing are the video cards themselves. But correct me if I'm wrong, if actual components are causing this issue, wouldn't they get bricked or stop working too? I really don't know. I tend to not think it's the RAM or GPU's because with each new mobo, they work flawlessly iitially, but who knows.

Just to reiterate, in case it matters, I'm using 2 different brands of GPU's. A BFG GTX 260 216 and an Evga GTX 260 216. Both are overclocked versions which are OCed differently, but I have them both running at the stock GTX 260 speeds.

Thanks again for all the help!

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that the last mobo only worked for less than a week. The one previously worked for about 2 1/2 weeks before bricking, as did the first one I had. Also, each time the mobos have bricked, they have worked before installing them in to the case (I always make sure everything works on the bench before putting everything in the case). All 3 stopped working while they were installed in the case.
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-13-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added content

Well if it is caused by the bending you are doing, it could have affected the other boards as well. So that may be why they keep dying on you, I do not think it is just UD5 in general or anything

Ya, I would think the flex is the issue as well.

Crucial memory works fine in this board, I have some myself, and just did a review on a set of Tracers (See signature for link)

Ya I dont think other hardware would/could cause this, without damaging itself as well. The only other hardware that could possibly do that would be a PSU I think.

So what PSU are you using now?

When you get your new board, not sure what you should do? I was about to say not use the same case, but you don't have another do you? I would be ordering one, or finding a way to NOT Flex this new board

Well if it is caused by the bending you are doing, it could have affected the other boards as well. So that may be why they keep dying on you, I do not think it is just UD5 in general or anything

Ya, I would think the flex is the issue as well.

Crucial memory works fine in this board, I have some myself, and just did a review on a set of Tracers (See signature for link)

Ya I dont think other hardware would/could cause this, without damaging itself as well. The only other hardware that could possibly do that would be a PSU I think.

So what PSU are you using now?

When you get your new board, not sure what you should do? I was about to say not use the same case, but you don't have another do you? I would be ordering one, or finding a way to NOT Flex this new board
    I'll be using a new Corsiar HX750 with the latest incarnation of this build. Previously I was using an Antec CP850 PSU.

I was thinking the same with the case. This time around I'm probably going to run the setup out of the case for a couple weeks, just because I'm sick of taking the mobo in and out with these things dying on me. In the meantime I'll pick up another case.

New mobo will be here Thursday.
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-14-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Let us know how you get along, I for sure would be finding a new case! Wonder why they made the case so that it does that? Very odd

Let us know how you get along, I for sure would be finding a new case! Wonder why they made the case so that it does that? Very odd
    After inspecting the case further, the mobo tray may not be as flimsy I first thought. Although I do wonder if mine is just off, or maybe out of alignment considering how the GPU doesn't lay flush on the expansion card bracket.

Off topic: I see the ex58-ud5 has been deactivated from the NewEgg site. Ex58a coming finally? I may have to just deny the delivery of the ex58 and get the ex58a instead. :-) Or maybe has the ex58-ud5 been discontinued all together?
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-16-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Sounds like it is, shouldn't be making you push your PCIE Cards in like you mentioned

No, they are just out of stock is all. Sorry I can't comment on the X58a-UD5, but I can say if you want UD5 wait for one at Newegg or get elsewhere if you can't wait for the egg to get more stock

What is a Deactivated Item?

When a product is out-of-stock, it may show as "Deactivated" on the item page. This could mean that the item is no longer available and we are searching for a new supplier. However, if an item has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available, we will remove the item from the website permanently.
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Sounds like it is, shouldn't be making you push your PCIE Cards in like you mentioned

No, they are just out of stock is all. Sorry I can't comment on the X58a-UD5, but I can say if you want UD5 wait for one at Newegg or get elsewhere if you can't wait for the egg to get more stock

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
    Talked to Antec support today. They had me take pictures of the problem with the vid cards not fitting flush. Looks like the stand-offs may be too tall. Unfortunately they are riveted into the mobo tray, so I can't remove them and install new ones. Hopefully they will just replace it without much hassle. I've included a pic/. Sorry it's blurry...
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-17-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information