Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Default Re: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

I keep getting the runaround. "He's out until tomorrow...." He being the tech I've been talking to about this matter. I understand people are busy and take vacations, but damn, at least a call or email would be nice to explain why they are taking so long. It's been almost a week now, and it's not like this is some complicated matter to figure out for their 'engineers' who are apparently still analyzing the pictures to determine the problem. I know this is a Gigabyte forum, but let me tell you, so far Antec's tech support blows.

In other news, the latest EX58-UD5 is performing flawlessly. I'm glad I decided to stay with this board! I also decided to run both the Ballistix and OCZ Platinum together. They seem to be playing pretty nicely together with Win 7 64 as I guess memory rated at the same speed should.

Sounds like a poor excuse on their part.

I've doe some tech support work for gardening products (lawn mowers, chain saws etc) and we never needed to make sure the same person spoke to a customer all the time. Of course it's best where possible as it makes people feel better having one person follow through with their issue. However we also made comprehensive notes on issues so that any one else could pick up the task, should someone be on holiday or ill.

Be sure to keep us informed. No matter that this is a Gigabyte forum, everyone here is interested in helping. It'd be good to know what they do about this for you, and it's interesting to know if the case is the issue. 3 knackered boards is an intreguing problem, if unfortunate.

I can't see how they need to analyse the photos much really. There is a standard size for I/O plates on graphics cards, which gives a good idea of the scale in the photo, ie how much the bracket is floating above the mounting point on the case. I don't get what else they could need. If it were me dealing with your problem I'd have either asked that you return the case, with free collection to transport it, or I'd have offered to ship a new case right away on the condition you gave credit card details and authorisation for a transaction hold on the full amount of the case. In the event the case is faulty, the transaction never gets actioned, and if it turns out the case is fine, the charge is followed through. It would mean that you no have two knackered cases, but it's an option if a customer really needs a replacement ASAP.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would say if he is still "Gone" then you want to speak to a manager, no way you should absolutely HAVE TO wait on this one person. While it might be nice it is not convenient and you shouldn't be put off by them because he is gone

Do you have a thread on this at XS? Just wondered because maybe a Antec rep is there and they would hate negative publicity, often issues that go bad are quickly fixed there once a Rep notices the thread getting negative comments

Hey guys,

I finally got them to RMA the case. They fought it hard though. Yesterday they tried convincing me that the case was fine and a new one would be exactly the same. They really wanted me to find a 'work around'. No thanks, I'm not taking any chances. From their email...

"IF at all possible, I would recommend that you somehow find other means to work around the issue And I can offer some courtesy parts to you without having to replace the case that may be more advantageous to you Instead. IF you think it will solve the problem by replacing the case…let us know."

I don't have a thread on XS, LSD. Since the problem has been rectified, I'll probably not create one. Although I'm still waiting to see if they are going to pay for shipping.

What I'll probably do is get the replacement and just sell it NIB, along with the CP850 PSU, and get a Coolermaster COSMOS instead.

I will tell you this though, I won't be spending money with Antec again. While they appear to be rectifying the problem, it was too much of a pain dealing with them.

A few gems from tech support...

"I double check with our engineers and we tried High End ATI card on the P183 and did not Appear to have that issue."

But then yesterday on the phone they said the ATI card DID display the same problem but that's normal.

It was after I pointed out that discrepancy that he finally budged on an RMA.

He also mentioned that if that wasn't normal, they would have gotten many calls regarding that case, which they apparently haven't.

I've also done tech support and I understand many problems are user error, but damn, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Anyway, at least I'm up and running, even though my rig as ghetto looking, out of the case sitting on a bench with a big oscillating fan blowing on it for extra cooling.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You sale of the case and buying a different one sounds good to me, as the new one may have the same issues since they seemed to think it was OK/Normal.

He could have been lying to you about the amount of calls or issues with ATI Cards ya never know. I have not seen this issue mentioned anywhere, but I only venture into case forum sections ever now and again though. Most likely it was just something wrong with only a few cases and you happened to get one of them, so there is not many reports on it

Glad to hear all is till working fine!! Very sorry you had to go through so many boards!!

Hope it works out for you with the shipping as well, I know that can be expensive! Go USP if you have to pay for the return

Overland Park in the Great State of Kansas

Have you tried hooking up any FireWire devices? How about another computer, FireWire to FireWire in network form?
    Kevin A Thornton
    KAT

For Fitness, Health and World Class Supplements
    http://www.fit2cash.com
    http://www.fit2cash.biz

For Essential Oils and Supplements
    https://www.youngliving.org/katman

Now you're getting used to an open air rig, have you considered getting one of those open workstations and mounting the components to that? They actually look pretty cool when set up right. An Antec skeleton case would also be sweet. I'm toying with getting the M-ATX skeleton for my media centre PC.

They say if it wasn't normal they'd have loads of calls... I call bull sh1t on them for that. If the case I tried to install a card in had mounting issues like that I'd call instantly. And saying ATI cards are fine one minute and have issues next is also crap.

Oh well. Let us know what happens with the new case, and if it's still the same then maybe accept their "work around" parts. They'll probably send some case riser extensions to screw in and pop the mobo on to them, which is a pretty OK fix as long as everything is the right size etc.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

I've thought about just going the open air route.

I call BS on them too. That guy was full of ****e on a couple counts. The more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. I'll probably just eat the loss. In all fairness, Gigabyte are the ones who really got screwed in this deal, so me loosing $100 pales in comparison. I thought the boards were faulty, as we know, but now that it seems the case is the problem, Antec cost Giga a pretty penny with all these boards that got hosed, if it is indeed the case that is the culprit.

I just sent Antec this email...

"Is it possible that I can get a picture of the case the engineer tried with the ATI card showing the I/O plate not sitting flush with the case? I mean seriously, if all the cases had the same problem this one is having, you'd have numerous calls. Believe me, if it was insignificant, I'd not even be bothering with RMAing this case because it's more trouble than it's worth, probably for both of us.

There are a few things I'm just not happy with regarding this issue. First, the story changed from the ATI card doesn't display the problem I'm having to the ATI does the same thing but that's normal.

Second, It took a week to get this sorted.

Third, I feel like I had to fight to get a product replaced that is clearly defective. I know a lot people who call tech support are not well versed in building computers, and I'm no pro, but this computer isn't my first build. I never ever had a case where the I/O plate on an expansion card hovered that high over the mounting bracket of a case to the point where you have to put major pressure on the card down just so you could screw it down securely. This includes a few Antec cases I've bought over the years. It seems like it's been conveyed that I must be the one with the problem with the insistence that there is nothing wrong with my case, despite the pictures I sent that pointed out the problem clearly. Mistakes do happen in manufacturing, and I believe that is what happened with the case I bought.

And finally, I have to pay for shipping for a product that came to me defective in the first place, which I already paid shipping on.

I know my measly $300 purchase, P183 along with a CP850 PSU, is insignificant in the large picture, but these will be the last Antec products I purchase.

With that said, I do truly appreciate your help, ****. I just feel like this wasn't handled by Antec appropriately
    "

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    Have you tried hooking up any FireWire devices? How about another computer, FireWire to FireWire in network form?
    No, after reading about the potential firewire problems, I'll leave that alone. :-)

I have installed an ADS firewire card, but have not connected anything to it because I'm gun shy. lol

That looks like a good, fair and to the point e-mail. Not too aggressive, not to soft.

You deserve answers and feedback from them on this. They should also send a courier or at least pay you the shipping fee on you showing them the receipt. Is the place you're shipping the case to in the same country as you are? If so then they should be able to send someone to pick it up if they wanted to excell at customer service. Even if you're in the US and are shipping to another state, or in Australia and shipping to the other side of the country, there are plenty of courier firms for them to use.

If you do get p155ed off with the Antec case, have a little read of this article on open top rigs: Cage Match: Four Open-Air ATX Chassis : Better Than No Chassis At All? - Review Tom's Hardware

The danger Den Torture Rack looks like it even has space for a water cooling setup. I can see me getting that when I go Lynnfield i7 and HD 5800 series some time next year. If there's no room for the rads I'll get a friend to make a separate clear acrylic box with routing holes for it all to sit on top of, with some form of retaining brackets.

Just to correct my last post: They won't ship riser extensions as obviously the problem is that the board is too high or the bar the cards screw into is too low. Maybe they'll just give you a new set of risers, as long as the originals aren't permanently screwed/riveted.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information