Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

Default ex58-ud5 short circuit, 3 different ud5's!

Hey all,

I've searched the forums and found part of my problem talked about here. I just had to RMA my second ex58-ud5. My initial problem booting is explained in this thread...

EX58-UD5 DOA? (No LED code, Phase Green and Amber LEDs light up, nothing else)

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
    When I power the PSU up and hit the on-board "power" button, 2 LEDs light up below the RAM (one green, one amber), the "Reset CMOS" button on the back lights up, and that's about it. CPU Fan doesn't turn on, no output to the display, no output on the error codes LED on the board, no beeping in the speaker I have hooked up. Nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
    Agh. In my process of elimination I decided to go to Best buy and get a PSU. Picked up the 850W Black Widow from Thermaltake and it fired the motherboard right up.

So, it was my PSU. Let's see if it works with all the RAM/CPU installed now.
    Unfortunately, a new PSU didn't fix my problem.

My exact boot problem demonstrated in this vid, though this is from someone using an EX58-Extreme...

YouTube - GA EX58-Extreme boot issue

This always happens after the computer has been running fine for a couple weeks. It has happened both times running the i7 920 at stock speeds, although the day before this last mobo went bad, I had been running with a very cool and stable OC of 3.2ghz. I changes things back to stock because I had to do some audio benchmarking to compare to the OCed results.

Both times, it happened when I was away from the computer. I'd leave for an hour or so, then come back, computer would be off, then the non-boot issue would start. Although, not mentioned in the linked thread, my mobos have both burnt out. It's a little square, black resistor or something that burns out, which has been the same one on both boards. It's located right underneath the 3rd PCI-E x8 slots clasp, and it's labeled on the mobo as "ID1". (pic below) The resistor would inevitably burn out after coming to see the computer was off and trying to reboot a few times.

First time through I thought I just got a bunk mobo until it happened the second time a couple days ago. I thought maybe the PSU was bad, but trying with another new PSU from my wifes computer (BFG GX550), yielded the same results, no boot. I also tested the PSU with a PSU tester, the new overpriced digital one from Antec, and according to the tester the PSU is fine. I also checked it on an older tester I got a few years back. The PSU also passed with it. (are those testers really trustworthy?)

I also double and triple checked to see if the mobo was shorting out on the mobo tray, which it's not. I triple checked all my connections, I tried booting with one stick of ram, 3 sticks, no ram, no video cards, clear CMOS, etc., etc. Still, no boot. I also tried booting with the mobo in and out of the case.

From what I can tell, it seems to be the mobo. Anyone else had this happen? I'm afraid the same is going to happen to the 3rd ud5 which will be here today. This is a production computer that is used in my studio daily, so it's getting a little frustrating since every few weeks I've been missing a couple days of work because these mobos keep frying.

FWIW, the i7 is running at about 39c at idle and 59c full load with Prime95.

My concern is, am I causing this or was there a run of these board that had some defective parts?

I hope I've provided enough info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Specs...

EX58-UD5

i7 920 w/ Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

Antec CP850 PSU

Antec P183 Case

6gb Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz (set to XMS profile 1) (8-8-8-25-2T 1.65v and QPI @ 1.25v)

2x GTX 260's in SLI
    - BFG GTX 260 (216) OC
    - EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked edition

Win XP Home

Win 7 64 bit RC
    Last edited by Vocalvoodoo; 09-13-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Default Re: ex58-ud5 short circuit, 2 different ud5's!

if the third UD3 still behaves in the same way, I'd be 99% sure that something else is the issue.

Those PSU testers do work, but they obviously can't detect any incompatibilities between a certain board and PSU. The new PSU (unlikely) may also have compatibility issues with your board.

To completely eliminate any possibility of a short you can use the mobo size piece of packing foam. Place this on the mobo tray and pop the case risers through it. You can then place the board on top and screw it down. Alternatively, several pieces of A4 paper (I think the US equiv. is "Standard Letter") placed over the metal underneath the board in the same way does the same job. There are no fire hazard issues with the foam, and the combustion temp of paper is over 230c, so you're OK there too.

Which PCIe slots are you using for SLI? I'm assuming the two blue ones, as the orange is only a PCIe 4x connector. How much PCIe voltage are you using?

Take a look at the solid capacitor to the right of the component you circled. Make sure the metal housing isn't touching the surface mounted component that blows. If it is, gently push the cap to the right. the legs should give a little and let you do so.

Note that if you did all this testing after the small component blew, then this is ofc, too late. all the testing possible would be unsuccessful.

If while being shielded from the case with an insulator, and at stock speed the mobo blows, then it must be an inherant fault with the batch of boards you're receiving.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Hi Psycho101,

Thanks for the response!

All testing was done before the small component blew. The solid resistor is not touching the blown component. I'm using the 2 blue/PCI-E x16 slots for the vid cards with voltage set to auto. Should I set that manually to spec?

I will definitely try using a few sheets of paper or foam between the mobo and mobo tray to eliminate the possibility of a short there. When you say packing foam, do you mean the black stuff that kind of looks like the foam you'd see on a recording studio wall, or the white styrofoam?

Luckily, this has happened both times within the 30 day return period from the retailer I bought if from so I don't have to wait weeks for a Gigabyte RMA. Fingers crossed for UD5 number 3!

As for the batches of boards, the second one was produced a few months or more after the first one I had. (I can't remember the production date of the first as I dont have the box anymore) First board came with f4 or f3 BIOS, and the 2nd came with the f7 BIOS.

The most frustrating part is that it takes a couple weeks for this to happen so I have to play the "wait and see" game. This is one factor that makes me believe it's the mobo and not the PSU. I would think if the PSU was the culprit, it wouldn't work straight away, unless the PSU is pushing out random voltage spikes that are causing the problem that wouldn't be detected by the tester unless I happened to connect the tester when the PSU decided to do one of these hypothetical spikes.

The foam I refer to is the sheet you should have gotten in the packaging with the board. It's the same dimensions and around 0.5cm thick. It's not that dense, but tight enough to stop any sharp component legs touching the mobo tray. the risers pop through easy if you apply some tension to the foam while pushing down.

I would definitely set the PCIe voltage manually. To be honest it's only a guess that the dodgy component is Pcie related due to the proximity to the third slot.

The fact that the boards seem to be from different batches is re-assuring. You shouldn't be stuck with a dodgy batch of boards. It could well be the PSU spiking. It could also be your mains electricity supply. Dirty power can be cleaned somewhat by the PSU through its various filters, as you know, but only to a certain extent. Do you have a surge protector in place at the minimum?

Sorry to be presumptuous, but assuming you're in the USA, power quality may vary due to your location and the type of cabling, route of delivery etc. I notice in alot of the US, power is connected to a home via an overhead cable. Here in the UK it's all under ground. We do have over head pylons, but only to go from substation to substation at extremely high voltage. All the nice clean 230V AC is delivered via under ground cabling.

If you have an over head supply, have you had alot of rain? Even wind rocking the cables may interfere with power supplied. I'm not insinuating that the overhead method of connection is inferior, it obviously works well for so man homes to use it, just that it may be susceptible to weather conditions. You can buy a power conditioner to smooth things out if you can confirm your AC is dirty in some way.

Likely your AC supply is fine. Being able to borrow for a while another kit of RAM would be an excellent idea. Other than that, post up your BIOS settings again when you have the new board and ask for them to be checked out for voltages etc. I don't have any i7 experience, but Lsdmeasap and a few others with i7's can definitely help. Lsdmeasap is busy with a RAM review project until tomorrow I think, but after that, he's back.

I understand how frustrating it is. Through faulty RAM I have had the same experience. You think you have it working, then BANG! BSOD. You tinker, and it's fine for ages and then ANOTHER damn BSOD. One way or another we'll try and get you going reliably. If you bought all the components from the same store/shop you could argue that you bought them to work together. I know that in the UK we have some sweet customer protection in the form of The Sales of Goods Act 1979, but I'm not sure about any other territories. Arguing that they should work together may mean they'll allow you to swap the board for another model, maybe a Gigabyte X58a revision board.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

I am in the US (is it that obvious? lol), and our house does have overhead cabling, though the weather has been calm and dry lately. While I won't argue that the power could be the problem, I can say that for the past few years with various builds, this has never occurred.

I do have the computer going through a surge protector/battery backup, although the battery backup only supports a little over 500 watts. When gaming, I have to plug the computer into a non-battery outlet on the strip because the battery protected outlets can't handle the wattage of driving the 2 cards and the i7. (the alarm will go off, but doesn't when only using 2d applications) I do have a Furman power conditioner/surge protector that I will relegate to computer duties with this newest mobo once my rig is rebuilt.

As for the RAM, I could see that being the problem as it's not 'officially' supported with this board. (something I didn't realize until after the fact)

I'm considering getting another PSU too. Although I guess I should only get one new component at a time.

Thanks again for your help!

PS - As suggested, I'll post my BIOS settings once I'm up and running again.

Unfortunately with RAM compatibility lists, the manufacturers seldom update the list after initial testing. They may also only test a sample of all the various models of RAM. It may also be the case that your RAM has identical IC's compared to another brand and model on the list, and this isn't easy to spot because only brand is listed. Eg brand X and Brand Y could be both Micron D9 IC's of the same type. Brand X will be on the list but brand Y is absent.

AS the problem tends to manifest after a while of running, it will likely be troublesome to diagnose with component swapping, unfortunately. Sounds strange, but you'd almost be in a better position to trouble shoot with a non-booting system, as any change for the better would be obvious to spot.

For a PSU that's guaranteed to be compatible with your board, have a look at the sigs of people with your exact mobo model. Using the search function and typing the model number is the quickest way to do this, if a little long winded. I can personally recommend the PSU in my sig, or it's slightly bigger 850W brother. Even the 750 will run two 260's in SLI with ease. I've seen one running two 4870 X2's in CrossfireX quite comfortably. The fan wasn't spinning at full speed under load either, telling me there was probably ~100W headroom left.

EDIT*** Just a small warning about the BFG unit you have. According to jonnyGuru it's not such a great supply. It should be treated as a quality 450W unit rather than a 550W one. FYI jonnyGuru is a renowned PSU expert and actually worked with BFG on their recent ES and EX ranges range (ES800, EX1000 and EX1200). I'm not saying that it's crap and is going to blow up any time soon, just that it isn't as good quality as the BFG branding would have you believe. The unit is tested for its max load as long as the input air temp is 25c. Virtually all PC cases will have an air temp of over 25c. To put it into perspective, my PSU is rated to supply its 750W with an intake temp of up to 50c.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 09-02-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

it wouldt hurt to buy a power surge protection plug either,you never know it might be that in your area
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree, it sure would be a lot easier if I wasn't able to boot at all.

The new mobo got here yesterday and all is fine so far, which is usually the case.

Something I realized is that the problem 'may' be with the +5VSB rail on the PSU. The reason I say that is because when connecting the PSU to the tester, the +5VSBrail takes a few seconds to completely discharge after powering the PSU down, but everything else discharges immediately. (according to the lights on the tester) Coincidentally, when powering down my computer, those 2 LED's that stayed lit on the UD5 after the mobo has bricked previously, stay lit for a few seconds after turning the computer off. Then those 2 mobo led's turn off once I hear the click from the PSU that you typically hear when it completely shuts off. The PSU makes that same click when on the tester and the +5VSB led finally dims.

I hope that made sense. Kind of had a hard time explaining what I mean.

Also, I'll post my BIOS settings when I get a chance. Now that I'm back up and running, it's time to play catchup with work.

I understand what you mean. It's like as you say, the rail has some residual charge that gradually dissipates, and is enough to keep the LED's lit for a while.

it may or may not be the cause. With my rig, if I have a boot loop problem and switch off the PSU at the back JUST before it's due to start up again to continue the loop, there's enough power present to light up my front case fan LED's for a fraction of a second.

I wish I had a work to catch up on. The recession's hit the UK pretty hard. Oh well, at least I ican afford to eat and pay the bills (just).

Lsdmeasap'll have finished his RAM review soon I bet, so he and others can take a look at those BIOS settings and hopefully stop your board going pop again.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Thanks Phycho,

Something else to note, on the new board, it seems the compnent/s that fried on the last board are different on the new one. Look the same but have different values stamped on top. Interesting....

I feel your pain, the recession hit really hard here too. I'll be glad when I don't have to scrape by anymore. :)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information