Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP43-DS3 based system unstable with 2x2gb RAM. Help!

Default EP43-DS3 based system unstable with 2x2gb RAM. Help!

note: I made a thread about this issue a few days ago, but it quickly died an unglamorous death, so I'm going to make a new (hopefully clearer) one. If this goes against forum rules, then let me know and I'll close this one/resurrect the other one.

I recently built a computer using the EP43-DS3 board, with the specs listed in my sig.
    This is my first time building a PC and everything works fine, except I can only use one of the 2 2GB corsair RAM modules. If I try to use both of them - either in single or in dual channel mode - the system becomes very unstable and returns lots of BSOD's, either while trying to boot up or after a few minutes on the desktop. The best I got it (through voodoo magic, as far as I can tell), was to only crash during high-intensity stuff (graphically intensive games, lots of multitasking, that kind of thing).
    I
    n dual channel mode it is almost garuanteed to fail, but with 2 sticks in single channel mode it tends to at least make it to the desktop
    The system runs fine with only one of the RAM modules, so long as the timings and voltage and stuff are set to what's on the sticker.

In my previous thread it was suggested for me to fiddle with the MCH core values in the bios - I tried from 1.2v-1.3v with no joy.
    The RAM is 1066MHz - Would lowering it to 800Mhz help? (and if so, how do I do this?)
    I'm not looking to overclock, just to get my system stable!
    Thanks

edit: Oh yeah, and the RAM modules themselves are definately in good working order
    Intel Core2 E8500 @3.16GHz
    Windows 7 64bit RC
    NVidia Geforce GTX 260 factory overclock
    Gigabyte EP43-DS3 motheboard BIOS ver 7
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-8500C5C 1066MHz 5-6-6-18 2.10v
    corsair VX550 psu

Default Re: EP43-DS3 based system unstable with 2x2gb RAM. Help!

Gidday
    I've got exactly the same problem, with the same ram
    Has anyone got any ideas?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Are both sticks working individually?
    Load optimized defaults amd set Performance Enhance to standard.
    Try lower MCH Core, 1.05-0.95v, one step down at a time.
    Tun 5+ memtest86+ passes to test memory before booting to windows, memory related problems may lead to corrupted files, or worse corrupted file system/

Both sticks were happily working individually... It was just when running in dual-channel mode, or both sticks insingle channel.
    I'd made all of the other recommended changes

The one thing I'd not done was to drop the MCH Core - so it's been dropped 0.05V. I did notice that after running the tests and adding both sticks in dual channel mode that the MCH Reference appeared to have dropped by almost 0.2V, which surprised me. I need to run some more tests.

Thanks for that bit of advice - very useful! Thanks Chike

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry your other thread was missed! Do you want me to dig it up or should we carry on here?

MCH ref will change if as you change Vtt voltage. Please give us your full current settings in a template (link in my sig) and we can advise back.

Since you already tried more MCH as advised above less can also sometimes help. Let us know how you get along trying things that way.

If in the end you want to give up and get 800Mhz stable, no problem, let us know and give us your current settings and we will advise back. Then you can save a 800Mhz profile and try harder when time permits for 1066Mhz

Hi,

Sorry I actually got this fixed a while back, but had forgotten about this thread.
    I think the board has an issue with that ram at full speed: I'm running it at 800MHz now and it works absolutely fine. This is with memtest. The RAM worked fine individually at full speed but it looks like I am having to underclock it to get it stable.
    It's a shame it doesn't seem to work as advertised without a lot of hassle, but if you turn it down a notch it works absolutely flawlessly.
    Intel Core2 E8500 @3.16GHz
    Windows 7 64bit RC
    NVidia Geforce GTX 260 factory overclock
    Gigabyte EP43-DS3 motheboard BIOS ver 7
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-8500C5C 1066MHz 5-6-6-18 2.10v
    corsair VX550 psu

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to hear you got it sorted. Very well could be, P43 is not the best at clocking things.

It could also just be a slight incompatibility with the ram and board/BIOS not letting it run at 1066Mhz, the board may do 1066 just fine but maybe just not with that particular memory.

Chike is offline Senior Member

What timings are you using for 800MHz? If you can manage 4-4-4-12 with Static tRead Value 5, than performance will be close to 1066 at default FSB.

Thread Information