Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cool and quiet off, Running at 840mhz

Default Cool and quiet off, Running at 840mhz

Hi, the title pretty much explains it all. AMD Cool and quiet has been disabled from the BIOS, but i'm still running at ~840mhz screen shots from CPU-Z if you need any more information lemme know.

Default Re: Cool and quiet off, Running at 840mhz

did you just turn it off and it did this ?

just a quick look the multiplier is way off , and there is a bios update for your board but i'd see if you can get back to norm before flashing

<table bgcolor="#c8c8c8" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr align="center"><td bgcolor="#ffffff">F6</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff">2009/08/06</td><td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    1. Update CPU ID(AGESA 3.5.3.0 for PhenomII /AthlonII AM3 CPU)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

its been like this since day one. I turned cool and quiet off to see if it would remedy the problem. And in the bios the multiplier is 14 or 15 i believe..

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMac View Post
    its been like this since day one. I turned cool and quiet off to see if it would remedy the problem. And in the bios the multiplier is 14 or 15 i believe..
    are you using anything like AMD overdrive or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMac View Post
    cool and quiet will lower your pc's multiplier automaticly and under load it would bring it up to speed.

Are games or applications being affected?

Quote Originally Posted by Forge View Post
    cool and quiet will lower your pc's multiplier automaticly and under load it would bring it up to speed.

Are games or applications being affected?
    well, with the proccessor as it is, i can only run tf2 at about 15 fps with multicore enabled. Mind you, i only have 2gbs of DDR3 ram installed at the moment, but i'm pretty sure the lower clock speed is to blame.

The amd 945 should run at 15X multiplier fsb should be 200 MHZ. If your bios isnot uptodate you may find core 1 at speed and the other 3 lower. Just a minor glitch. It will run at 3.5 ghz with a fsb of 233 mhz and mem multi at 9X and ht at 9X for 2.097 ghz, you may have to change mem speed to 4 times if running 1066.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post
    The amd 945 should run at 15X multiplier fsb should be 200 MHZ. If your bios isnot uptodate you may find core 1 at speed and the other 3 lower. Just a minor glitch. It will run at 3.5 ghz with a fsb of 233 mhz and mem multi at 9X and ht at 9X for 2.097 ghz, you may have to change mem speed to 4 times if running 1066.
    changed BIOS to those settings, now its showing the core speed at 930, 4x multiplier. Is there another program you could recomend besides cpu-z to view system information, just so i can cross refrerence everything?

look for core temp it will show you all the core speeds or get sisoftsandra it gives quiet a bit of info. What board are you using and what bios do you have.If you ar running the 790fxt-ud5p your bios should be F5 or F6 latest. Your first shot shows F4 that is probably your issue.
    Last edited by mjrhealth; 09-06-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Definitely update your BIOS.

There aren't many occasions where a problem should be solved by a BIOS flash as the first step, but this is definitely one of them.

It clearly states on the CPU support list on the Gigabyte site that your CPU isn't officially supported until BIOS version F5. You need to download BIOS F6 right away, onto a USB pen drive or FAT 32 formatted HDD partition and flash with Qflash.

The likely reason that the CPU is running so slow is because the F4 BIOS is running a rudimentary fail safe configuration which is intended to allow you to flash to a supported version without having to use another CPU to do so.

There is no other way to solve this problem. Any settings applied in the BIOS will not take effect, because on exiting the BIOS the CPU detection facility is run again, and failsafe "flash me now" settings are used.

The list of supported CPU's and the BIOS version needed is here: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (rev. 1.0)

For the latest BIOS, download from here: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS Download

Let us know how you get on after the flash.

As soon as you flash the BIOS, go into the BIOS and select "Load Optimized Defaults". Now hit "Save and Exit Setup". You can now re-enter the BIOS if you need to and set any custom values you desire.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information