Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-Udl3 and ASUS EAH4770 Formula graphics card, major issues

Default EP45-Udl3 and ASUS EAH4770 Formula graphics card, major issues

I recently picked up an ASUS EAH4770 Formula card to replace my aging 7900gs. However I am having issues. System will only post if I have my bios settings at default. Any changes to clock speeds or voltages and it will fail and then revert to defaults. Eg, I used to easily run an OCd setup where vdimm = 2.0v among many other settings changes. But with the 4770 installed just changing the vdimm to 1.9v and nothing else (all other clocks/vlts/timings etc stock) it will not successfully post. If left stock (optimized defaults) it will post and successfully boot into vista
    but is less then stable. Once I swap in my old GPU everything is fine and I can tweak my settings willy nilly.

Are there any known incompatibilities between the UDl3 and radeon 4770 cards or the ASUS one in particular?
    Specs
    E6300 @ 1.8ghz (opt default)
    Ep45-UD3l with F7 bios (also tried f3 and f4 with no luck)
    4 x 1gb OCZ DDR26400 plat. Rev 2 @ 5-5-5-15 800mhz (opt default)
    Only 1 HDD hooked up right now and using a confirmed working 550watt Corsair PSU.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-Udl3 and ASUS EAH4770 Formula graphics card, major issues

Hmm I have not heard of any issues, but not many users have that specific model or brand of card.

Can you test with another PSU to be sure this is not part of the issue? It may just be on the brink of supporting all of your hardware?

Also, as I mentioned to you in the BIOS thread I think, please try some ICH Voltage changes such as these >>>

ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.54-1.6
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14-1.22

I would also try the latest BIOS, first actually, F7 is available here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, guide is here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Hi Lsdmeasap

I have previously tried the f7 bios and a different power supply. I have even disconnected everything but my primary HDD to make sure it wasn't a power supply issue.

I will adjust my ICH voltages first thing tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

Out of curosity can you please explain what those voltage settings change. I'm guessing that ICH core is the for the actuall chip, but what is the I/O voltage. And also doesn't the PCIe x16 slot go through the MCH? Hoes do the ICH voltages effect a graphics card?

Thanks for your input.
    Intel E6300 @ 1.8ghz for now, usually ~ 2.8-3.0
    EP45-UDL3 F7
    4x1gb OCZ/DDR2/6400 Plat Rev2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-15
    BFG 7900gs (trying to get an Asus EAH4770 to work)
    WD6400aaks + 3 other older HDDs

They change the amount of power supplied to the south bridge, which can allow the SB to have a easier time dealing with larger or more components. The I/O deals with Input and Output of data through the SB.

The PCIE Lanes go through the ICH10 SB First, then into the MCH

I would keep with the latest BIOS since the card is so new, it could be a BIOS issue and they have not fixed it yet but I have not heard any other similar issues though so it may just be the brand or card you have in particular.

What other PSU did you try?

Chike is offline Senior Member

I'm glad I wasn't tempted to buy the Asus model, hopefully the Sapphire I ordered won't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RoachX View Post
    Out of curosity can you please explain what those voltage settings change. I'm guessing that ICH core is the for the actuall chip, but what is the I/O voltage. And also doesn't the PCIe x16 slot go through the MCH? Hoes do the ICH voltages effect a graphics card?
    Was wondering about this myself for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    The PCIE Lanes go through the ICH10 SB First, then into the MCH
    According Intel's chipset diagram the x1 ones do but not the graphic x16, not

Ya I looked at the manual quick/wrong, but I can tell you I have had a card or two that gave me issues and adding SB Voltage corrected them instantly. Being that I always use more MCH, maybe I already had enough MCH and the extra SB Voltages fixed me right up. Maybe the OP needs to add a bit of both, 4GB is going to need more MCH Voltage anyway actually (1.20-1.24)

Sapphire cards rock Chike, that's all I use myself, you will be happy I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sapphire cards rock Chike, that's all I use myself, you will be happy I am sure!
    Yeah I saw you reccomendation about Sapphire, and since ASUS not going to see a penny from me anymore, I had Sapphire and GIGABYTE to choose from, and I"ve read a good review about it too so I decided on the Sapphire.

Ok so i've been trying to change the ICH and MCH voltages and it seamed as is if they were working. I could even up my vdimm which i couldn't before. But then i decided to actually check the voltages in windows via ET6, and guess what they were all still stock. I even increased the vcore to 1.4, but it was not showing in cpu-z. Also any changes to clock speeds would not take.

I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. I think tomorrow i'm gonna send the card back and swallow the extra shipping and restocking fee's. Sigh.
    EP45-UDL3 F7

I'd wait with with the card untill the board is sorted.
    In BIOS HWMonitor vcore did not change either, DRAM voltage?
    Try clearing CMOS as described in the second part of this post for the whole 20 minutes, see that voltage changes are taking effect.

Followed the CMOS reset instructions exactly and still no luck. The changes would still not show up in ET6,CPU-Z or the bios HWmonitor.

The moment i swapped back in my old card everything worked as it should.
    EP45-UDL3 F7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information