Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme/Intel i7 920,your 3.8 Overclock settings?

Default Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme/Intel i7 920,your 3.8 Overclock settings?

I am using the EX58 Extreme MOBO with the Intel i7 920 processor. I have 3x2ghz OCZ1600 Memory,Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler and I am also using the North Bridge Silent Pipe 2 Chipset Cooler. Using my board as reference what settings could I use to get me to at least 3.8Ghz? I have used the Internet,read articles and watched videos but the settings that are changed I cant even find in the BIOS. Or they call them something else and I still cant find them. I would just like a simple to follow instuction listing the exact named settings to change that read the same as my MOBO BIOS. I know that is asking alot but any help would be appreciated. I am not trying to reinvent my MOBO or rewrite the White Paper, just easy to follow instuctions if I could. Thanks in advance.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme/Intel i7 920,your 3.8 Overclock settings?

Here, no reinvention needed and settings are exact same names as your BIOS

This should get you 3.8 easy, just watch your temps as I am not sure how good that cooler is for 920. Note, I did list a lower CPU multi, only due to the fact that I am not sure if your ram will do 1800Mhz (180 Bclk x 21 CPU multi x8 ram multi if you want to try that out, uncore 16-18)

0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

Code:
    Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [19x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] << Disable for x19 multi, enable if you want to use 21 and set above to 20
    CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
    CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
    C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
    Uncore Frequency ..........................  16-18 (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1, 2x +2, ect) 
    Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 200 (19x200 = 3800)
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [8x] = 1600Mhz (200x8)
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ......................8
    tRCD .......................................8
    tRP .........................................8
    tRAS .......................................24

^^ You did not list your ram model, so if your ram is 999-24 or something other than 888-24 please set accordingly ^^

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine.  For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
    XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................ Auto (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .......................................Auto
    tWTR ...................................... Auto (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ........................................ Auto 5-12 (Odd # values likely will fail)
    tWTP ....................................... Auto   (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
    tWL ........................................  Auto (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .......................................Auto
    tRTP .......................................Auto
    tFAW ......................................Auto
    Command Rate (CMD) ................ 1

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency ................... Auto

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled] << Enabled
    CPU Vcore ............................... 1.24-1.425+ (All up to your CPU)
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.3-1.45+ (All up to your CPU and other various settings, see above BSOD Codes to see when/if you need more)
    CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... 1.8-1.88

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.5-1.54
    QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.14-1.24
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.18-1.24
    ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.5
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.140-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.66
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Thanks LSDmeasap for the help. I know your pretty busy these days so I appreciate the help. So, now if I wanted to move up to say 4.0Mhz are there alot of changes to the 3.8Mhz profile? I would like to try using the Prime95 program to see how much the Temps come up. Is this an easy program to set-up? Settings,tips? Thanks much again.

Prime95 is plug and play, just run it and it should be on blend, you can of course change that later on to do different test if you like

Na, not much to change for 4Ghz, either use 21x190 or 20x200 (20 Multi can be unstable)

Sorry for the ignorance but can you refresh me on what this is?
    Quote:21x190 or 20x200 (20 Multi can be unstable)

Wow! I just tried Prime95 and all 4 cores according to Everest were 100°celcius. Yikes! I stopped the testing right away. This was only after the 3rd Test. Any suggestions?

I mean for 4Ghz, you could use either 21x190 or 20x200 Bclk. And about the 20x, I meant some CPU's do not like even multipliers (20) is all

Are you SURE your cooler is on tightly and properly? Did you maybe use too much paste? What Vcore do you have set?

CPU V-Core is set at 1.24375. That is at the bottom of the scale that was listed.
    1.24-1.425+ (All up to your CPU) Was I right in stopping the Prime95 with the temps that high? Could I have done any harm to the CPU? My CPU cooler seems to be on and functioning just fine. I use the included reostat fan controller for the Cooler Master V8 and have the Smart Fan Control disabled in the BIOS. The reostat is at its highest level right now though. What are typically the ideal temps I want to see at idle and when using a program like Prime95? Sorry for all the questions. When you have time. Thanks

Yes those temps are WAY to high, especially for that LOW of a vcore. You have something wrong here for sure.

Please remove and check your paste to be sure it was not too much, then redo it. Then be sure your heatsink is Fully and Properly mounted, this sounds like the issue to me more than anything else

I am not sure about that cooler and normal temps, but at that Vcore the stock cooler would work way better than the temps you are seeing so you know something is wrong.

Have you searched for V8 here? Could give you some ideas of who is using so you could PM or see their temps if reported

I see at their forum that this user had high 70's at 3.6Ghz (No Voltage noted), but that just gives you a reassurance that something is indeed wrong with your setup/install of the cooler
    Cooler Master Forum &bull; View topic - CM V8 Temperature with Core i7 920

Thanks for the help. Could I have caused damage just in the few seconds that I had the very high temps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information