Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Default Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

All the memory has a set of JEDEC# that the bios or cpu uses to adjust your memory timings and voltage. The bios uses the fail safe setting on the memory. If you are content with the fail safe memory settings you need to be content with the fail safe frequencies as well.
    I actually would rather have CnQ enabled in BIOS, but I assume at this point I would need to disable PMT service and shortcuts, change the CnQ settings in BIOS
    I believe the bios has 3 options for cool and quiet (Auto, enabled, and disabled. Auto is the one I select to allow a program to enable or disable it. You may be able to use the two programs.
    You said you can select power states from the icon, but I assume it also automatically ramps up and down with load?
    Yes I just right click on the icon in the task bar and set power scheme to one of five settings or always on which turns off power settings truly (Performance mode) The catch is if you close the program keep in mind the settings are still where you left them. Even on a cold start it will come back with the same features you had set previously before you closed the program. Please try to remember this at boot up or when needing to change performace. Out of habit now I open and close the program everytime I make the change.

There was a CPU driver for CnQ included with the mobo
    It may be the same version. You can try the one provided with your board. You can check the version @ add or remove programs Look up AMD Processor Driver there and click on the link (Click Here For Support Information). or you can download and install AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 provided on page one if it is different. You need a AMD processor driver for the AMD Power Monitor to work right.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-10-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Sorry for bugging you with details, but I'm a bit confused on some of the replies now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    If you are content with the fail safe memory settings you need to be content with the fail safe frequencies as well.
    Okay - the PC is stable with the memory at 1066, but it is supposed to be 1800 PC memory, I would at least like to run it at 1666 or whatever the board supports - I'm not looking to overclock it to 2000 or anything like that (or the processor either for that matter).

I believe the bios has 3 options for cool and quiet (Auto, enabled, and disabled. Auto is the one I select to allow a program to enable or disable it. You may be able to use the two programs.
    Seems like mine only had enabled and disabled, but I'm going from memory and that's dangerous.

Yes I just right click on the icon in the task bar and set power scheme to one of five settings or always on which turns off power settings truly (Performance mode) The catch is if you close the program keep in mind the settings are still where you left them. Even on a cold start it will come back with the same features you had set previously before you closed the program. Please try to remember this at boot up or when needing to change performace. Out of habit now I open and close the program everytime I make the change.
    Here's where you are losing me - I know CnQ supports five processor states, P0 through P4, I think.

Okay - I read through the readme and I think I have a better idea of the concept ...

It looks like the AMD driver just allows CnQ to work - it might be the same as the one I have now, shouldn't be significantly different.

The AMD power monitor does both:

• Allows you to see CPU frequency on each core.
    • Adds a taskbar icon to select power settings (I'm guessing "Always On", "Minimal Power Management", Home Office/Desk, etc. etc.)

The thing I am leery of (and I only have empirical data), but this is essentially about what I had before PMT and it was NOT working for me. I didn't have the taskbar icon, but I could select Always on and the CPU ran at 2.8 and all games worked fine. I could select Minimal Power Management and office tasks ran at 800 Mhz and benchmarks ran at 2800, but games seemed to basically run at 800 - I think b/c only one and not both cores were ramped up to 2800 Mhz.

PMT takes care of this and also gives me the option to run locked in Performance mode or locked in minimal power mode. In short, it solved a lot of my problems.

I have my doubts that AMD Power monitor will work for me, (unless it also locks the cores to the same clock setting - but I didn't see any mention of that in the readme.)

It seems to be working for you, so perhaps it does do that, or perhaps other AMD CPU's don't have the issue, but ...

Can't hurt to try it, but I'll likely be sticking with MSR Tweaker ...

Looking forward to setting the memory timings correctly, though!!!

I would at least like to run it at 1666 or whatever the board supports
    We should say what ever the board, and memory controller or cpu will support. This is why you will be setting the memory settings in bios, and not everyone gets the same results. In your case it has to do with the 144-bit DDR2 Memory Controller and HyperTransport 3 technology. It could have its memory frequency timings and voltage limitations. We will do the best we can though.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Agreed - what I meant by whatever the board supports is that I didn't see a setting for 1800 and some of the other GB boards I was looking at said "Frequency determined by CPU and memory" or sth like that.

DDR3 Memory controller, not DDR2, correct?

Your CPU is holding you back I researched it and the memory controller for it only supports 1066Mhz anything higher will be an oc.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Okay, that's good to know.

Fortunately, I didn't really pay extra for the memory over DDR3 1066 and it could be useful if I ever upgrade the processor.

I assume all Regors are limited to 1066? (would be lousy if the 245 or 250 that was $5 more would run 1666!!!)

When you say anything higher will be an OC - would that void the processor warranty? (not sure why I am worrying about a $60 CPU, but I am). I don't think it affects the memory since it would still be within spec.

I'll post template data tomorrow anyway just in case you see anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Okay – First off, the AMD processor driver was in fact the identical one to the one that came with the GB mobo.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Second, while I like the AMD monitor program, I will continue to use MsrTweaker instead. Here’s what I liked about AMD monitor:

• Probably the most responsive program I have seen for monitoring core speeds and the only one I’ve seen that shows each core independently. I was monitoring it with MsrTweaker running at the time, and if I moved the AMD window to a different part of the screen, you could see the core ramp up to 2800 and down to 800 for a split second.
    • Very nicely done graphics and systray icon.
    • Always on top feature is cool if it worked … The game I am mainly using to benchmark the processor (and the only one I really have re-installed now), runs in full-screen mode and it and AMD Monitor fight for foreground control until the game crashes. (I know there is a setting to run it in a window – which would be nice b/c I would really like to know what the cores are doing – I only know they aren’t doing what they should, b/c the framerates are about 3X as fast on Home/Office as they are on Minimal Power Management.

Here’s what I like better about MSR tweaker:

• It works – again, all I can go by are the in-game framerates, but I didn’t see any improvement with AMD Monitor over EES or just running standard CnQ with Minimal Power Management selected.
    • Simple – (Perhaps too simple for some) – I start it minimized. In this mode, left-clicking the icon does nothing. Right clicking the icon gives you a choice between:
      • Balanced – CPU ramps up and down depending on load.
      • Power Saver – CPU remains in low power state (I’m not sure if there is an equivalent power scheme that does this – not that it’s all that useful in a desktop).
      • High Performance – CPU remains in high power state.

• Intuitive – Personally, I like the options above better than AMD Monitor’s – they make sense, with AMD Monitor you have to choose between Power Schemes (although I think you could eliminate these if you wanted to):
      • Always On – Similar to High Performance, but you have to know that it will lock the CPU in high-power state.
      • Home Office/Desk – Same as above.
      • Max <st1:place w:st="on">Battery</st1:place> – if there is a comparable scheme to Power Saver, this would be it.
      • Minimal Power Management – This is the equivalent of Balanced (except both core are not locked to the same state). My English writing really bugs me here b/c if you were ESL, you could interpret this as either “System Manages Power to Keep It as Minimum” which is intended, or as “System only Minimally Manages Power”, which would be similar to High performance.
      • Portable/Laptop – I think this would be the same as above.
      • Presentation – I think this is the same as Always On, except the monitor also never goes to sleep.

• Quick – Okay, I’m nit-picking, but with PMT, you just right-click once and select one of the three options. With AMD monitor, you have to right-click and then select the Set Power Scheme tab (which is one of eight options), and then select the scheme you want (which is one of six non-intuitive choices) so it takes longer.
    • Not an issue for me (yet, at least), but a major advantage of PMT is it allows you to use CnQ functionality with a custom NB Multiplier. Official CnQ disables this and I have to think AMD Monitor would follow along with that.
    • Finally, I have to agree with Kink on a 2-State power solution. Official CnQ uses 4 (or 5?) power states. However, if you can monitor load every 20 ms and ramp up to full speed in approximately 80 ms and back down almost as quickly, there really is little advantage in running the processor at intermediate speed – at least in Kink’s and my HO.

Anyhow, enough of that – here are the Health and MBIT templates with non-matching values in red:
    Code:
    PC Health Status
      Hardware Thermal Control [Enabled]
      Reset Case Open Status [Disabled]
      Case Opened Yes (There is not intrusion sensor, though)<o:p></o:p>
      Vcore 1.488V<o:p></o:p>
      DDR3 1.5V 1.600V<o:p></o:p>
      +3.3V 3.408V<o:p></o:p>
      +12V 12.365V<o:p></o:p>
      Current System Temperature 37oC<o:p></o:p>
      Current CPU Temperature 42oC<o:p></o:p>
      Current CPU FAN Speed 2463-2472 RPM<o:p></o:p>
      Current SYSTEM FAN Speed 1102 RPM<o:p></o:p>
      Current NB FAN Speed 0 RPM
      CPU Warning Temperature [Disabled]
      CPU FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
      SYSTEM FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
      NB FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
      CPU Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
      CPU Smart FAN Mode [Auto]
      System Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
    Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
      } Advanced Clock Calibration [Press Enter]
      CPU Clock Ratio [Auto] 2800Mhz
      CPU NorthBridge Freq. [Auto] 2000Mhz
      CPU Host Clock Control [Auto]
      x CPU Frequency(MHz) 200
      PCIE Clock(MHz) [Auto]
      HT Link Width [Auto]
      HT Link Frequency [Auto] 2000Mhz
      VGA Core Clock control [Disabled]
      x VGA Core Clock(MHz) 500
      Set Memory Clock [Manual]<o:p></o:p>
      x Memory Clock x5.33 1066Mhz<o:p></o:p>
      } DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
      ******** System Voltage Optimized ********
      System Voltage Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      DDR3 Voltage Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      NorthBridge Volt Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">SouthBridge</st1:place></st1:city> Volt Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      SidePort Mem Volt Control [N/A on my board]<o:p></o:p>
      CPU NB VID Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      CPU Voltage Control [Auto]<o:p></o:p>
      Normal CPU Vcore 1.4250V
    <o:p></o:p>
    Code:
    Advanced Clock Calibration
      EC Firmware Selection [<st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Normal</st1:place></st1:city>]
      Advanced Clock Calibration [Disabled]
      x Value (All Cores) -2%
      x Value (Core 0) -2%
      x Value (Core 1) -2%
      x Value (Core 2) -2%
      x Value (Core 3) -2%
    Code:
    DRAM Configuration
      DCTs Mode [Unganged]
      DDR3 Timing Items [Auto] SPD Auto
      x CAS# latency Auto 8T 8T<o:p></o:p>
      x RAS to CAS R/W Delay Auto 8T 7T<o:p></o:p>
      x Row Precharge Time Auto 8T 7T<o:p></o:p>
      x Minimum RAS Active Time Auto 27T 22T<o:p></o:p>
      x 1T/2T Command Timing Auto -- --
      x TwTr Command Delay Auto 5T 4T<o:p></o:p>
      x Trfc0 for DIMM1 Auto 110ns 110ns<o:p></o:p>
      x Trfc2 for DIMM2 Auto -- --
      x Trfc1 for DIMM3 Auto 110ns 110ns <o:p></o:p>
      x Trfc3 for DIMM4 Auto -- --
      x Write Recovery Time Auto 10T 8T<o:p></o:p>
      x Precharge Time Auto 5T 4T<o:p></o:p>
      x Row Cycle Time Auto 42T 34T<o:p></o:p>
      x RAS to RAS Delay Auto 4T 4T
      Bank interleaving [Enabled]
      Channel interleave [Enabled]
    [/QUOTE]
    After I typed this, I played around a bit (30 minutes) with PMT, AMD monitor (as a monitoring tool), and Prime95. Pretty impressive stress tester – with PMT set to balanced, both cores went to 2800 and temp eventually stablilized at 115 F (46c)and fan was loud (to me) (previous high temp was under 100 (38c) – the Barton ran around 120 (49c) idle, 127 (53c) load (not P95) though). I then switched it to Power Saving and both cores locked at 800 and temp dropped to 88 (31) and fan quieted down (although I think the PS fan was still running when it normally would not be). (Ambient probably around 78 (25c). System remained stable at 1.15V though. Way too soon to tell, but I think I can drop the CPU voltages a bit more and gain some more temp drops.

Finally, this is a minor annoyance (that I thought I had fixed - it's better with the non-animated cursor), but I am having lag issues and missed clicks with my Logitech V320 Mouse - more info from the other forum below:

Mouse – My Logitech V320 Mouse doesn’t want to play nice with the system. It will lag when tracking and it will miss both Left and right clicks. It worked fine after the 3rd Windows Install, but I changed some setting and it no longer works properly. I noticed in Device Manager, Show Hidden devices, that the Logitech Driver Interface is listed twice (I moved the receiver to a different USB port – might be why there are two) with a yellow question mark, but I haven’t had time to troubleshoot that yet (also need to update Direct X 9.0x, DotNet 3.5, and MS Hotfixes. (Hmmmn, okay this is really strange, but I seem to have solved this problem. I was using an animated cursor from Aston Shell for my mouse pointer. I’d had problems with this cursor before when I would exit MAME and it would take 10-15 seconds for the cursor to re-appear. On a whim, I changed back to the default white arrow cursor and the mouse seems to be working fine now – no lag, no missed clicks. If you told me that was the problem, I would have said you were crazy, but it’s silly to argue with reality. Other animated cursors seem to have a bit of a problem to a lesser extent. I really liked that cursor, so I might have to convert it from a .ani to a .cur file with Microangelo, but for now, I’m happy to have the system working properly.

Google didn't help much, but this page says not to worry about it, and this page looks like a fix, but ends up just being the SetPoint driver I already installed.

Here are the memory specifications of your memory. Please verify that this is what you have. I pulled it from the memory link you posted on your earlier post.
    Model
    Brand OCZ
    Series NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition
    Model OCZ3N1800SR2GK
    Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Speed DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
    Cas Latency 8
    Timing 8-8-8-27
    Voltage 1.9V
    Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
    Heat Spreader Yes
    Features NVIDIA SLI certified
    NVIDIA SLI special XTC Heatspreader
    EPP 2.0-Ready
    1.95 EVP
    Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Parts Lifetime limited
    Labor Lifetime limited

Now if you look at your pc health statues you can clearly see that the ram voltage is set low DDR3 1.5V @ 1.6V and this works good at 1066Mhz. In order to run it at 1333 you will need to manually set the voltage higher. At 1600 you will need to set it even higher. Now we talked earlier about the cpu,s memory controller limitations. If you raise the memory multiplier you need to monitor it, and check for stability. You could try 1333 @ 1.7v-1.8v Why put more voltage than is neccesary. CPU NB VID Control +0.2 for reference this will add voltage for stability for the memory controller.

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    } Advanced Clock Calibration [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Ratio [Auto] 2800Mhz
    CPU NorthBridge Freq. [Auto] 2000Mhz
    CPU Host Clock Control [Auto]
    x CPU Frequency(MHz) 200
    PCIE Clock(MHz) [Auto]
    HT Link Width [Auto]
    HT Link Frequency [Auto] 2000Mhz
    VGA Core Clock control [Disabled]
    x VGA Core Clock(MHz) 500
    Set Memory Clock [Manual]
    x Memory Clock x6.66 1333Mhz x6.66} DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
    ******** System Voltage Optimized ********
    System Voltage Control [Manual] 
    DDR3 Voltage Control [Normal] +0.25=1.75+v
    NorthBridge Volt Control [Normal]
    SouthBridge Volt Control [Normal]
    SidePort Mem Volt Controlj [Normal]
    CPU NB VID Control [Normal] +0.2
    CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
    Normal CPU Vcore 1.3250V
    Set DDR3 Timing Items to Manual Save and exit reboot into bios again to confirm the changes CTRL+F1 copy actual timings and post them. The words auto below will change to numbers for timings. Please post these timings. The greyed numbers below SPD and Auto are for reference only.
    Code:
    DRAM Configuration
      DCTs Mode [Unganged]
      DDR3 Timing Items [Manual] SPD Auto
      x CAS# latency Auto 8T 8T
      x RAS to CAS R/W Delay Auto 8T 7T
      x Row Precharge Time Auto 8T 7T
      x Minimum RAS Active Time Auto 27T 22T
      x 1T/2T Command Timing Auto -- --
      x TwTr Command Delay Auto 5T 4T
      x Trfc0 for DIMM1 Auto 110ns 110ns
      x Trfc2 for DIMM2 Auto -- --
      x Trfc1 for DIMM3 Auto 110ns 110ns 
      x Trfc3 for DIMM4 Auto -- --
      x Write Recovery Time Auto 10T 8T
      x Precharge Time Auto 5T 4T
      x Row Cycle Time Auto 42T 34T
      x RAS to RAS Delay Auto 4T 4T
      Bank interleaving [Enabled]
      Channel interleave [Enabled]
    or 1600 @ 1.8-1.9v
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-10-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Thanks artdrivers!

I am more concerned with the mouse issue than the memory right now, if you have any ideas. With the animated cursor it was really bad, it would sit in place for a half-second sometimes when you were moving it, and you would click it five times before it registered. The non-animated cursor, it is just a minor annoyance, but it's still acting up a bit - kinda like if the batteries were going bad, but they are not very old. (It's not really annoying unless you use a system with a working mouse right after it - if that helps). Any ideas?

On the memory - none of this affects warranty, since I am still running it within it's specs, correct?

That should be right - the link I posted was from Newegg's cart, so assuming they actually sent what I ordered ...

Now let me summarize what you posted and make sure I have it correct:

I need to go into MBIT and set
    memory clock to x6.66
    System Voltage Control [Manual]
    DDR3 Voltage Control [Normal] +0.25=1.75+v
    CPU NB VID Control [Normal] [COLOR=darkred]+.2
    [COLOR=Black]Change DDR3 Timing items to Manual - but don't modify them to the values above (or the official spec numbers) (and the numbers I posted earlier really don't matter, b/c they are just for reference).

Then probably re-boot and write down the BIOS memory numbers and re-post them (Monday).

Then I should probably run Prime95 or Memtest and make sure the system works okay with them.

Also - IIRC, PhenomMSRTweaker has a setting for NB VID in both P0 and P1 states, so I probably need an absolute (not relative) value for that to enter there.

If all works well, repeat at 1600 and 1.8-1.9 mem VID - do I need to bump the NB any more for that or not?

Is the above correct?
    Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 09-10-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information