Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Default Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

I will check and post back tomorrow - are there any voltage issues (NB, DDR) that could possibly cause the USB issues?

I tried to locate the previous issue that made me get the PCI card - I thought it had to do with hubs and the VIA controller on the Shuttle AK38N mobo, but the closest thread I could find was this one and it says NEC controllers have issues and VIA controllers do not.

Not sure what I have or what the issue was at this point.

We know that your memory voltage is still a little low. I would work on that first.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    We know that your memory voltage is still a little low. I would work on that first.
    Actually, I set it low based on your comments in Reply #14:

You could try 1333 @ 1.7v-1.8v Why put more voltage than is neccesary. CPU NB VID Control +0.2 for reference this will add voltage for stability for the memory controller.
    What target should I be looking for?

Also, I significantly backed the NB Votage down from your recommendations b/c you mentioned heat issues - should it be raised higher?

Also - as I said, I have P95 running for 30 minutes with the lower CPU VID, but when I tried Visual Pinball, the system immediately re-booted, so perhaps P95 wasn't the greatest stress-tester - what should I be running and looking for?

Thanks again!

P95 is good. I would set the DDR3 memory voltage to +2.5v=1.75+v or +3.0=1.8+v @ DDR1333Mhz
    Your PC health status earlier suggested the memory voltage was 1.5v @ 1.6v. In my previous experience all desktop DDR 3 on auto is at 1.5v. The small% voltage increase from 1.5 @ 1.6v is only offered in the auto (which is like a generic or fail-safe) setting. When you change it to manual you override that small% increase. Your memory manufacturer suggest that the DDR3 memory voltage should be set to 1.9v @ DDR1600Mhz to 1800+. The memory modules would not need that much at DDR1333Mhz. This is why I suggested 1.7v to 1.8v. I believe if you increased DDR3 memory voltage to +.15v It is at 1.65+v. Please check that and let us know. We still must worry about that memory controller this is why we added voltage to the cpu NB VID controller. As I explained before I never used PMT, but if it makes some of these adjustments for you I would suggest you verify them. These are only suggestions. It seems you are getting things right for your use.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

The RAM is at +0.15=1.75 and the NB is at +0.05=1.225 but these are the M-B Intelligent Tweaker Values, not PC Hardware Wizard or PC Health.

The timing is at 1600.

I guess my basic question is "If I seem to be working fine at the above settings, do I still want to go to 1.9 DDR or 1.375 NB just to have some cushion?"

P95 is good.
    The reason I asked is b/c with the CPU VID, I had the system running P95 for half-hour to an hour with no issues and then it instantly re-booted when I launched a visual Pinball table ... (???)

As I explained before I never used PMT, but if it makes some of these adjustments for you I would suggest you verify them.
    PMT allows you to set requested CPU VID, Multiplier, and NB VID for idle and high-power states. It and AMD Power Monitor only show the requested (not the actual values), but the CPU VID seemed about right or a bit low (+0.003-ish) in CPU-Z.

It seems you are getting things right for your use.
    Yes, I'm happy with the voltage and memory settings (although I will investigate some more).

The USB flash drive problem is very irritating, and the mouse as well - although I might buy a $5 wired optical USB mouse and forget about that part.

Thanks again for all the assistance!!!

The RAM is at +0.15=1.75 and the NB is at +0.05=1.225 but these are the M-B Intelligent Tweaker Values
    This suggests to me you set them and did'nt go back into bios to verify. Because when you read current value and ad 1.5v you think done 1.75v. No problem I have done this numerous times as well. Please verify.
    The voltage here does not ad near the heat as the increase in frequecy does. This is why I would find a happy medium and settle for the 1333Mhz which is very fast and at a good temp.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-15-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Correct - I did not verify (although I think the MBIT screen showed 1.75 "grayed out" when I selected +0.15.

Again, even if the system appears stable, you recommend increased to 1.9V measured?

(i.e. if HW Monitor shows the RAM is at 1.78 for example, I should bump it up 0.12 so it hits close to 1.9 (???))

Thanks in advance!!!

Temps are not a problem - I didn't notice they went up a bit when I went to 1600 Mhz, but even then, actual temps IMS were only around 112 F or so - they were enough to kick the HSF on high, but bothered me (made me think the system was working harder, but I reduced the CPU load state VID and it stopped kicking the fan into high speed (load temps dropped to around 103-105F).
    Watch it raise cpu vid? With software in an OS? Are you sure it's cpu nb vid? Please verify this as well.
    Didn't quite follow this part of your reply, but yes - MsrTweaker allows you to set CPU VID and NB VID and core multipliers inside the OS software (with a service, actually) - I did not verify NB VID, but I did verify CPU VID with CPU-Z.

Screenshot from their website:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CG591387%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Lots to cover.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Okay Ė this has to go Ė the PC will either re-boot or black the screen out with no warning Ė granted, I had the CPU on Performance setting and I had OpenOffice Calc, MS Word, HW Monitor, PC Wizard, CPU-Z, and SiSoft Sandra all running, but still Ö (Frustrating, b/c like I said the system has been running Prime95 and multiple other apps without a hitch!!!)
    I feel a bit dumb now, as I realized I donít really know where I was supposed to find what I was looking for Ö
    Without making any changes Ö
    PC Health shows DRAM Voltage of 1.824 and Vcore (is that NB Voltage?) of 1.248. (But if so, that gets changed by MsrTweaker anyway).
    HW Monitor shows:
    CPU Vcore (idle) 0.96 (Requested 1.15 by MSR Tweaker Ė might need to fix that.
    CPU Vcore (load) 1.17 (Requested 1.35 by MSR Tweaker Ė Hmmmn, those values look off, but I like (liked before it crashed) the way the system is running Ė i.e. it works well so far at those settings.
    VIN1 is 1.82 (I guess this is DDR Ė only thing in the system that runs near that (didn't see your previous post and was going from memory when I typed this).
    CPU-Z (IMS before the crash) showed CPU Vcore 0.96 (idle) and something like 1.15 (load).
    Makes me really want to see what the NB true settings are since the Vcore is way off from what MSR Tweaker is requesting. PC health gives it, but since MSRTweaker can change it, I'm not sure what the real values are ...

Okay, SiSoftSandra seems to give a bit better info:
    SSS says on low power that the CPU Vcore is below minimum and the FSB is too high, but I donít see where it shows the FSB speed Ė CPU-Z shows it at 200.9 Ė which I think is close enough.
    SSS shows the Min/Max Core Voltage at 1.075 to 1.350 Ė I thought somewhere else I saw 1.450 for the max setting.
    SSS shows the Core Voltage Rating at 1.15 and 1.35 (which is what I set in MSR Tweaker), but down lower it shows the CPU DC Line at the same values as CPU-Z or HW Monitor.
    SSS shows the NB Core voltage rating at 1.2250 and the Min/Max at 1.175-1.2250, but I donít know if this is the requested MSR Tweaker value or the actual measured value Ė Nervous about that. NB requested 1.2250 by MSR Tweaker.
    I think the first thing I want to do is bump the idle core voltage to at least 1.075 and the performance to around 1.2 measured (and not worry about temps/fans just yet) Ö
    Okay, for some reason MSR didnít like 1.29, but idle Voltage is now 1.2875 requested, which gives 1.104 measured. (No Vcore warning from SSS). Set MSR performance for 1.4, which gives 1.216 in CPU-Z.
    Hopefully, this fixes some of the other problems too.
    BTW, it took a while, but I figured out the goal (for me) of undervolting. Itís not so much getting the absolute minimums that the system can achieve, itís getting the system stable at less than stock voltage Ė If Iím a few 0.10ís of Volts above absolute minimum, thatís no big deal, but if I can keep the fan on low speed, thatís a plus!!!
    Hopefully, these settings might help with the mouse and USB drive, but Iím not holding my breath on that.
    On the mouse, I tried the German program, but the text was in German, so I donít know what it did. I ran Settings Fixen and it said successful and Settings Zurucksetzen and it said settings restored, but I didnít see an option to set the polling rate to 500 Hz. What I think it does is disable the WinXP OS restrictions so if you have a Razr or similar mouse that sets the polling in firmware/software, it will use that.
    The mouse is frustrating b/c I really like the weight and feel and features of the V320 mouse and MOST of the time it works well Ė itís just those few times when you double-click an icon and think this program is really taking a long time to load today, and then realize the double-click never registered.
    For now, Iím just plugging the USB drive into the rear PC ports, but it also occurred to me that I am using it quite a bit differently than before. With the old system, I would plug it in after the system started and remove it before I shut down. With this, I been installing so many programs and hot-fixes and having the system re-boot that a lot of time I forgot or didnít have time to remove it gracefully Ė so maybe thatís some (but likely not all) of the problem.
    Good news on the Icon situation Ė If you remember, I was using an animated (.ani) cursor from Aston Shell, but it was slowing down the mouse (I thought), so I used a trial version of Microangelo and selected each of the 23 frames in Animator, copied them and pasted them into Studio and saved them as individual .cur files. All worked fine except the new files didnít show the little + sign under them for ďCopy ToĒ. I did a search on this, and couldnít find an answer, but someone recommended a freeware program called IconArt by Conware. I opened the .cur file and saved it with a different name in IconArt and also opened the orignal .ani file and IconArt had a one step ďSave Frame as CursorĒ button and tried that and both the new files work (and the Microangelo ones still donít - although Microangelo has worked in the past for me) Ė so I recommend IconArt for cursor creation.
    Anyway Ė hopefully Iím on the right track.

Google gave mixed results, but it looks like Everest Free Home can show NB Voltage, and someone said HW Monitor can, but I sure don't see it there.

I think it's more accurate than CPU Vcore, but I'll check it tonight anyway.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information