Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Default Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Hmmmmn, something now is making me nervous ....

Here's what I posted yesterday from Friday's tests:

Update – reduced the load VID from 1.425 to 1.25 (1.248 on CPU-Z – still stable and load temp is only 102F running P95 – so the HSF never kicks up to high speed – gotta love it!!! Reduced the P0 (idle) state voltage to 0.9 (0.88 indicated) and temps running P95 in Power-saving mode are 82F with ambient at 80.
    That ended up not being stable, but that's a variation of 0.002 and 0.02 respectively between CPU-Z and MSRTweaker requested values.

Here's yesterday's results:

HW Monitor shows:
    CPU Vcore (idle) 0.96 (Requested 1.15 by MSR Tweaker – might need to fix that.
    CPU Vcore (load) 1.17 (Requested 1.35 by MSR Tweaker – Hmmmn, those values look off, but I like (liked before it crashed) the way the system is running – i.e. it works well so far at those settings.

Okay, for some reason MSR didn’t like 1.29, but idle Voltage is now 1.2875 requested, which gives 1.104 measured. (No Vcore warning from SSS). Set MSR performance for 1.4, which gives 1.216 in CPU-Z.
    Thats a rough average variation of 0.2, not 0.002 or 0.02.

What bothers me is if MSRTweaker is not just consistently off a certain amout, than if MSRTweaker is only off by 0.002 the next time I run it, I am almost over-volting the CPU.

And I don't think MSRTweaker has any option to NOT adjust Vcore but still lock the multipliers, and I don't know another tool that will do anything similar - K10Stat looks about the same, but not sure it works any better than MSRTweaker since it seems to be developed from K10Stat.

Suggestions?

Answering my own questions, but ....

Stock Vcore for the Regor seems to be 1.425 as reporting by the BIOS and several web forums (Not 1.35 like SSS reported).

So - with yesterday's settings - if the actual values stay close to requested, than I am still (slightly) below stock voltage - and if they are 0.2 lower, then I am pretty much where I want to be.

Far from ideal, but at least I can continue to use MSRTweaker and not worry about stablility or overvolting the processor.

(Another thought - this could also easily explain why the processor was stable in Prime95 (when the voltage was only 0.002 off from requested) and crashed loading Vpinball and running Word (when the voltage was 0.2 below requested).
    Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 09-16-2009 at 12:48 AM.

You have 2 different NB's CPU NB VID controls voltage supplied to the IMC (on die memory controller).
    NB Voltage controls voltage supplied to the chipset (on the motherboard).
    If you are increasing NB speed, then increase CPU NB VID as necessary, and vice versa when decreasing speed decrease CPU NB VID as necessary.
    You will need to find the voltages to speed that best suites your needs.
    Code:
    System Voltage Control [Auto]
    DDR3 Voltage Control [Auto]
    NorthBridge Volt Control [Auto] voltage for the Northbridge chip 
    SouthBridge Volt Control [Auto] voltage for the Southbridge chip
    SidePort Mem Volt Control [N/A on my board]
    CPU NB VID Control [Auto] voltage for the memory controller on cpu  
    CPU Voltage Control [Auto] voltage or vcore for the cpu
    Normal CPU Vcore is 1.4250V
    This is voltage initially. When you use the AMD drivers and PMT overrides some of these voltages. They change. PMT is showing the CPU VCORE voltage and the CPU NB VID, although they are calling it CPU VID and NB VID. This was confusing to me so I tried the program out to confirm this. It's a good program I like it too. When I open PMT and activate a setting then close PMT. The cpu continues at what ever the setting was when I closed PMT. To change it you only need to open the program and activate a different setting.
    Hopefully when I access bios the voltages go to the settings in bios because the Windows drivers will not be present. But when I boot into Windows the drivers load again and make the changes. This is why I have different voltage readings compaired to the windows programs and bios.
    Some programs will only have a specific set of numbers as to what it normally is. Some read the bios settings. Some read the sensors. I prefer HWmonitor. It works for my system, cpu cores, hard drives, and GPU. It reads temperatures and voltages from the sensors all on one quick accessed program.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-16-2009 at 02:10 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Hi ArtDrivers!

Okay, I sorta followed all of that.

I'm assuming I should bump the DDR Voltage by 0.08-ish to hit 1.9 Volts - agreed?

CPU NB VID control is what I bumped up in BIOS to increase the memory controller. I think I left it alone now - but I'll double check that.

If I understood what you posted above, NB Volt control is what PhenomMSRTweaker is setting and it shouldn't affect NB VID control, and I can reduce set it back to stock or bump it up and it shouldn't affect the memory controller (which is what I am trying to stabilize).

Errrmn, no wait, you said it is setting NB VID - so I do need it increased in PMT, correct?

I like PMT, but the main thing I need it for is keeping both cores at the same multiplier - that's a 1.5-2X frame rate increase for me in some games.

Hopefully when I access bios the voltages go to the settings in bios because the Windows drivers will not be present. But when I boot into Windows the drivers load again and make the changes. This is why I have different voltage readings compaired to the windows programs and bios.
    I'm not sure you understood what I meant. CnQ is disabled in BIOS b/c PMT recommends that. PMT service and tray icon are always running when I am in Windows. On one day, measured CPU-Z values were within 0.002 to 0.02 V of PMT requested values (which I consider acceptable) and yesterday they were around 0.2 below - which I don't. BTW, AMD Power Monitor only shows the requested values - to verify them you need HW monitor or CPU-Z. (I assume you knew that, but just in case ...)

HW Monitor is fine, but I don't see that it displays NB VID - and since PMT is changing that, I would like to verify that it is what I think it should be. I think Everest Free Home Version does show this.

If you have a spare moment, I would be curious how closely your HWMonitor Vcore values match PMT requested values.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Yes it increases CPU NB VID.
    Here is some more verification.
    PhenomMsrTweaker: Cool & Quiet customized
    Some background infos
    What about these P-states?
    Each core of a K10 CPU may run in one of up to 5 performance states (P-states). P0 is the highest-performing (default) state, the others ascend to the max-powersaving state. Phenom CPUs use only 2 states, P0 (high performance) and P1 (powersaving). Phenom II CPUs specify 4 states, P0 to P3.

Each core boots in the P0 state. If Cool & Quiet is enabled, a driver may put a core later in a powersaving state if its load is low and then back to a higher-performing state when its load increases.

Each one of these per-core P-states consists in:

a multiplicator controlling the clock frequency (4x to max. multi),
    a voltage ID for the CPU core (0 to 1.55V), and
    a voltage ID for the integrated Northbridge/memory controller (0 to 1.55V).
    PhenomMsrTweaker allows you to customize these settings for all cores and the first two P-states, P0 and P1. Therefore you may choose your optimal settings for P0 (overclocked state) and P1 (undervolted state).
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

I'm assuming I should bump the DDR Voltage by 0.08-ish to hit 1.9 Volts - agreed?

Thanks again!

This may not be neccesary for 1600Mhz, but your memory manufacturer suggests 1.8v to 1.9v It has a 1.95v Extended Voltage Protection. OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ PC3-14400 NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Okay - I think I'll just raise it 0.03 from it's present setting, which should put it at 1.85.

For the NB VID - I think default was 1.175 and PMT is requesting 1.2250. SSS shows 1.1750-1.2250, but you previously suggested +0.2 which would be 1.3750.

What is the max spec voltage for the NB VID?

I only know of 1 program that I had good results with and that was Memset. It's the only program I am aware of that will allow you to change memory timings in Windows. The reboot sets them back to previous settings so you can test your memory timings without the worry. If you find timings that are tighter (= lower) that benchmark with higher result, and pass the stress tests. You may want to write them down and apply them in bios. The program is Memset 4.1 beta 4. You can download it here---> (scroll down to the memory section for it.) Also you might want to add this page to favorites or bookmark it for all the other neet programs on it).---->http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Will MemSet display the NB VID?

Not sure I'd know what to change settings to to test memory anyway, but there's good news - read on:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CG591387%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> FINALLY!!!!
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Okay, I went ahead and bumped the RAM up another 0.050 to +0.250, which indicates 1.850 and reads 1.872 in PC Health. I might not need that much, but it is below the 1.9V rating and well below the 1.95 EV rating.
    Also, I figured out what was happening with PMT (and I’m glad I did) – wish it was more clear. Previously, I had set Vcore to –0.175 in the BIOS with the idea that if PMT ever shut down or I was running in DOS, I was still under stock voltage. Turns out PMT uses this data – i.e. if you tell it to set CPU VID to 1.2, what is really does is set V1D to (1.35-1.2 = -0.15. Now if the BIOS is also set to –0.175, what you end up with is –0.325 or 1.025).

That number should probably 1.425, not 1.35, but the end result is the same, the PMT final output is offset by any applied BIOS correction.

I set the BIOS Vcore back to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Normal</st1:place></st1:city> and set PMT to 1.1 Idle and 1.2 Performance. CPU-Z shows 0.002V below requested.
    Not sure what this means for the NB VID – neither HW Monitor nor Everest Home Free display this from what I can see (Everest might with older mobo’s but it doesn’t recognize mine). I have it set at +0.050 or 1.2250 in BIOS (default 1.1750), and also at 1.2250 in PMT. I suspect that means I am actually at +0.100 or 1.3750, which is half what you recommended – so I’m probably okay with that – if you are.
    Right now, I am running OCCT in performance mode for 20 minutes so far and running Word, and Calculator and File Explorer. Core Temp is 99 degrees F and of course, HSF is still in slow mode. I’ll probably let the full-hour test run, run another hour in Power-Saving mode, run maybe 15 minutes in Performance with P95, and then I think I will call it GOOD and be done with it.
    System core temp is 86 F (ambient 80 F) in power saving mode with OCCT running – I managed to have Word, Calc, Explorer, OCCT, and a Visual Pinball table running – so I’d say I’m there (took forever for the VP table to load and scared me when the screen went black before the graphics came up – but it did not crash, so all’s well!!!)
    Prime95 in performance mode also stabilized at 100 F, with HSF at 2700 RPM, which is almost silent.
    Looks like we have a winner!!!
    Thank you again so much for your help – I learned a lot and am sure I never would have figured all this out on my own!!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information