Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Default Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Thanks Artdrivers.

I don't think it's an issue with AVG. It happens pretty regularly if I access another program before the startup items complete and it never happens if I let them complete normally. Also starting them manually works fine always. Also AVG worked fine on my other systems without this issue.

Also - AVG is a bit too permissive - i.e. it is a good Anti-Virus, but it is not an Anti-Spyware or Anti-Rootkit - but it never claims to be. Personally, I like that - I've had issues with other AV programs slowing down my trusted apps.

It is likely a WinXP issue, but I've changed a bunch of things with NLite or TweakUI and MS Web Support will likely (possibly correctly) blame those, so I don't want to try that route.

I think I'll just be more patient, unless anyone else knows a fix. MSRTweaker was the one that bothered me, but now that I think about it, it loads as a service and is probably working - it's just the systray item for switching it from balanced to performance that is getting interrupted.

Thought I'd post here before continuing - some new issues, many issues resolved.

Startup items not loading was apparently some kind of malware. Don't remember what, but MalwareBytes found some kind of "startup" something of other and I deleted it and hasn't happened since.

Mouse issue seems to be resolved after Logitech sent me a V220 rather than V320 under warranty.

USB issue seems to have been resolved with a new cheap USB hub from Office Depot, but I'm being careful not to plug the MP3 player into the hub.

Lately, however, I have been having issues with BSOD's. Odd issues - STOP errors, IRQ less than zero, Video driver errors, etc. Typically with the Burnout Paradise game, but happened once with other apps. Oddly, no errors with Microsoft Memory Tester or Prime95 or OCCT???

I dropped the memory from 1600 to 1333 with no other changes (could have probably bumped the voltage instead, but more worried about stability than speed).

BSOD's are less frequent and the one's I get now seem to be only related to the ATIDVAG is caught in an infinite loop.

I am planning to try the following in order, but wouldn't mind advice on the issue:

• Search for and delete ATIDVAG.exe if present. Change PCI TO PCI driver per this page.
    • Update Catalysts to 9.11 - I think I am running 9.6.
    • Maybe flash BIOS - I think I am running F1, there is an F3 and F4Beta out, but neither address the issue, but I don't know what if anything F2 did.
    • Worst case, install an Nvidia PCIe card, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks again in advance - sorry for not updating sooner, but with intermittent problems like I was having you are never sure if you have fixed the problem or just fixed the problem for today!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would put BIOS update on the top of the list!! Use the latest beta, what you see in the change log only mentions a few changes, in each update there are MANY changes they do not list, so don't worry about if you see something you need fixed mentioned or not. Just update to the latest beta

And yes, update ATI Drivers next

Okay, will do - I actually moved it to the end based on a previous thread by you saying not to do it unless you were having an issue that the BIOS said it would resolve and that the beta bioses could be problematic.

Dumb newbie questions - I'm assuming that any previous changes (memory voltage and timings, etc.) will be lost in the flash, so I should write them down beforehand, correct?

I know you are supposed to use DriverCleaner or similar when switching from ATI to Nvidia drivers or vice versa. Wouldn't hurt when upgrading from ATI 9.6 to ATI 9.11, but would it still be recommended?

Do you think the "PCI to PCI bridge" driver suggestion has any merit and if so when would you try it? (Oddly, there are a ton of suggestions for Ati2dvag going back 3 years and ranging from anything from the PCI bridge, to BIOS, updates, to driver updates, to chipset driver updates, to cleaning the GPU fan (mine is fanless and onboard), to updating the video drivers manually rather than using the ATI install program.

That is just general warnings really, I personally do always suggest using the latest BIOS.

Maybe I need to update/change/remove that thread.

Yes, all settings will be lost when you flash the BIOS, Write them down as reference, especially your SATA/Disk settings. All your overclock settings may need adjusted differently in a new BIOS, but your old settings should give you a good starting point.

I update ATI Drivers like you mention, new ones right over old ones, and never have any issues.

I have no clue what PCI to PCI Bridge is or what it is supposed to do, maybe is that some AMD Specific thing? If so, I don't know and that would be why. If it is AMD related then you may need to ask Artdrivers about it.

I suggest updating ATI CCC fully with the installer program, then if issues remain try the other things you are talking about

I'm not sure if it is AMD related or not, the thread mentioned "CPU to AGP Interface" which somewhat sounds AMD related, but not sure.

Now that the Northbridge, the CPU, and the video (ATI/AMD) are all AMD, I would think most of these issues would have been resolved.

I think you are on the right track with the BIOS, Catalyst, and then other things sequence, though.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the system now only crashes maybe every 4 or 5 days and no rhyme or reason when or why, so it's quite possible I'll think I solved it only to have it pop up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
    I dropped the memory from 1600 to 1333 with no other changes (could have probably bumped the voltage instead, but more worried about stability than speed).
    Bumping the voltage should help with stability in this case. 1600 speeds usually require a higher than default voltage anyway. I have Mushkin 1600 that boots fine but freezes up on Prime so I have it running at 1333 at 1.9V

Search for and delete ATIDVAG.exe if present. Change PCI TO PCI driver per this page.
    I have Vista, W7 and Xp systems installed but I can't find that file anywhere.

Update Catalysts to 9.11 - I think I am running 9.6.
    9.6 doesn't even officially support the 4200 chipset so definitely update those.

Maybe flash BIOS - I think I am running F1, there is an F3 and F4Beta out, but neither address the issue, but I don't know what if anything F2 did.
    You should definitely be running F3. I would avoid F4A but if you're not unlocking cores or overclocking it might be fine.

Dumb newbie questions - I'm assuming that any previous changes (memory voltage and timings, etc.) will be lost in the flash, so I should write them down beforehand, correct?
    You can save your cmos settings to a usb drive and load them later.
    Last edited by Flocons De Mais; 12-10-2009 at 10:54 AM.

@ Flocons De Mais - Thanks!

* Voltage was bumped previously. This is OCZ 1800 DDR3 that was running fine in P95 at 1.8 or 1.85V at 1600, but BSOD (maybe not related, but I was seeing things like "Page Fault" in the errors) in games, so I dropped back to 1.8 at 1333. (So I am running similar timings to yours now.)

* Typo on my part in the filename. ATI2dvag.dll is a legit file that was showing up on the Infinite Loop BSOD. ATI2dvag.exe is apparently malware, but I didn't find it on my system.

* Perhaps it was 9.7. I absolutely HATE that ATI calls them 9.xx, but when you look up info, they are 8.XX - for example 9.6 is 8.62. It was the driver that came on the CD with the MB, and I remember checking at the time and it was the latest and the month prior did not support 4200. Updated to 9.11 now.

* A bit late - I flashed to 4A last night. Seems fine - I'm not unlocking cores, but I am bumping the memory and NB VID voltage and undervolting the processor. I could flash back to F3 if recommended.

* A bit late also, but how would I save the CMOS settings - that sounds like it could be very useful info. I saw in Q-Flash that I could save the BIOS, but I assumed that was the entire old BIOS.

@ Everyone:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CG591387%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0pt; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hmmmn,
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Well, I survived the BIOS update and video update, but I got some really weird results - maybe related maybe not (shouldn't surprise anyone that's read my other posts on here).
    Probably way too early to tell if it affected the BSOD's or not.
    I saw a couple of new settings in the BIOS, but the only thing I changed was UMA Frame Buffer Size. This was previously set to 512M and I changed it to AUTO, which I thought was a new setting, but it is listed in the owner's manual, so I guess it isn't.
    As soon as I booted into Windows, the Found New Hardware wizard said it had found my floppy drive and it was ready for use. There is not and never has been a floppy drive in the system. I had "Boot Up Floppy Seek" disabled in the BIOS. I went into device manager and disabled the mystery floppy drive, but I thought that was pretty strange.
    Maybe I am imagining it, but the system seems to boot into WinXP faster after the BIOS upgrade. The progress bar seems to take about the same time or maybe a bit longer, but the second light blue USER screen seems to come and go more quickly - weird
    I am using a KDS VS-7e CRT monitor with my system. I was very used to having to re-install the monitor driver and jump though hoops to get the monitor to run above 60 Hz refresh rate with the previous Catalyst version (about 2-3 years ago). Oddly, the new 9.11 Catalysts do not recognize the monitor at all and still shows Default VGA Monitor. I got it working above 60 Hz, by going into "Monitor Properties - Attributes" and unchecking "Use EDID or Driver defaults".
    Also - I used a really old version of Tweakguides Tweaking Companion for setting up the (was written for 5.7) ATI Catalysts. He recommends and I had previously disabled the ATI runtime, which is CLI.exe. If you do that, normally the CCC is not supposed to launch until you use the Restart Runtime shortcut. Oddly, this version of the Catalysts does seem to start after a bit of a delay - although there is still a "Restart Runtime" shortcut in the ATI shortcuts menu that was added.
    I wanted to try some before and after stress-testing/ GPU benchmarking to see if anything improved, but got strange results here as well. The Crysis tool I downloaded requires the game (or at least a demo of the game) installed, so it didn't help. FurMark worked, but I got bored with it after 2 minutes with the old config and didn't try with the new one.
    ATI Tool gave me an Error Message that "The video card was not being used by Windows and I should go to Display Properties - Settings, and enable the monitor output of the card". This happened with both the old and new catalysts. Maybe it doesn't work with this board, but I thought I had used it previously with it.
    Something was really accessing the HD after the install, but I couldn't figure out what it was, and after a re-boot, it didn't happen again.
    Word 2000 asked me if I wanted to register with Microsoft, which I don't remember it doing before - ever - but that might just be a coincidence.

You can save BIOS profiles to USB Stick via Qflash or from the F11/F12 save/load options on the MAIN page of the BIOS.

I Do not advise using old settings or profiles with different BIOSes though, but it could give you a starting point to look at, but do not load old profiles with new BIOSes and actually use them, many changes are made in each BIOS and this is not advised

Use this if you want to disable CCC from startup, I use this for many programs that like to snake there way into startup >>
    Mike Lin's Home Page

This will appear in your control panel, in 32bit control panel items if you are using x64

Windows Defender > Tools > Software Explorer will also allow you to disable some items

StartupCPL is a great program - I use it all the time and really missed it when we got a new laptop with Win7 installed (but I figured out where to find the info in Win7).

My main point was that if you don't load cli.exe at boot-up, CCC is not supposed to start up, but now it still will, but ATI still has a shortcut to start the runtime, even though it doesn't seem to be needed - but I guess ATI just wanted to cover all the bases.

I'm also curious how and why the system thinks I installed a floppy drive (maybe b/c the USB stick was never removed after I updated the BIOS)???

Thanks!!!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information