Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R and Windows 7 upgrade advisor

Default GA-EP45-UD3R and Windows 7 upgrade advisor

My GA-EP45-UD3R works great in XP SP3. I ran the Win7 upgrade advisor and it flags the device "GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller" as needing a new driver. I am 90% sure this is the SATA/RAID driver, so it's pretty important. Gigabyte's site does not list a driver for either x86 or x64 versions of Win7. Have other people found this not to be a problem? I'm running Win7 upgrade advisor version 2.0.1125.0, which I believe is the most recent version.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R and Windows 7 upgrade advisor

99% of vista x64 or 32 bit drivers should work in windows 7 if no windows 7 driver is available. If you have your hdd's connected to Gigabytes/Jmicron the purple sata ports then yes I would say that would be correct. You can find all the latest drivers for just about every Gigabyte board here. It is stickied at the top of this forum or you can find the link in my sig. It is strongly advised of downloading all drivers before you upgrade/install any OS. Windows 7 will include basic network drivers so you will atlease have internet after install if you forget to download something.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Awesome, thanks. So the jmicron jmb36x vista 64 drivers will work, I gather. I hope they don't have to be on a floppy/slipstreamed like under XP sometimes.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

You should only need the drivers if you are using AHCI or Raid Vista/7 should be able to install with built in drivers but always download the latest and supply them with the install if you if not do it after install.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schweinhundert View Post
    Awesome, thanks. So the jmicron jmb36x vista 64 drivers will work, I gather. I hope they don't have to be on a floppy/slipstreamed like under XP sometimes.
    Yes those are the correct ones. And I do advise that you do not use these ports anyway for your OS, use the Intel ones. OS Drive should go on the first yellow port (SATA2_0)

For windows 7 any Pre-install RAID/AHCI Drivers can be installed during setup from a USB Stick, so no slipstream or floppy is needed.

I have the exact same problem, ep45-ud3. I have to install win7 several times but around 60-70% done screen goes black and only very little cpu activity. I tried with files from "motherboard_driver_sata_gb_sata2raid_ep45.exe " from the "Floppy64" directory created and copied the 4 files to a usb stick - txtsetup.oem is dated 23. june 2009 and 1970 bytes.
    I have also downloaded from jmicron site, same result. Could you please tell me where to download the correct files, and filenames please.
    Thank you
    /Michael

Please install your OS Drive into SATA2_0 on the yellow Intel ports, then if you are not using RAID or AHCI then you do not need any drivers during the install. Even if you use AHCI you do not need a driver as Vista/windows 7 default ones will work.

But if you want to load your own AHCI or RAID Drivers they are here >>

x86
    *32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility

x64
    *64-bit Floppy Configuration Utility

BIOS Settings for use with OS on Yellow ports (Suggested!!) >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI/RAID (Disabled here for IDE/Normal SATA mode)
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports) (If you are not using Purple Ports or a actual IDE Ribbon cable device these can be disabled)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Thank you for a very fast reply and thx for an excellent answer.
    I have my OS disk (not 'drive' as you americans call a fixed disk - a bad habit ;-) on SATA2_0.

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode: Disabled

I just want to let you know, that I actually disabled the Integrated Peripherals, Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) and now the 'Windows 7 upgrade Advisor' does NOT state the GGB36X controller from JMicron Tech as an issue.

I will let you know, if I can install Windows 7.

btw: Now after reading a little more in the manual and these experiences I understand a bit more about AHCI, SATA, RAID etc. Thanks
    Michael
    Last edited by goeasy; 09-11-2009 at 06:27 PM.

OK, well I mentioned all that about the Gigabyte controller because you mentioned that controllers drivers, which you do not need to load then if you are not using those ports in RAID or AHCI

No worries about the upgrade advisor if it tells you something wont work, all things on your board will work just fine with windows 7

Since you do have your disk on the yellow Intel ports, the drivers linked above are what you need to install, and then only if you are setting up RAID or AHCI (AHCI Not a must either as default drivers will work) No drivers are needed if you are doing a normal install.

I thought you could not install windows 7, and since you mentioned that controllers drivers and J.Micron ones as well I had to let you know those drivers are for the purple ports and not needed for anything other than AHCI or RAID on those ports.

You will be fine installing Windows 7! Good luck and enjoy.

Post back anytime

By the way, I am from India not America :)

Sorry about India ;-) Must have been somebody else many months ago.
    Anyway I have tried to install 7 times, no luck yet. Maybe next time. I will tell you, if it works this time. But all the other times my screen goes black at the end of installation, after some reboots and nothing more happens ...
    Michael - from DK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information