Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA MA770 UD3 rev 2.0 - Bios updating

Default Re: GA MA770 UD3 rev 2.0 - Bios updating

Thanks, good information there. Well C1E doesn't seem to work, my clock speed remained at 3114MHz, so I disabled it. Maybe it doesn't work in the XP environment, I think I might have read that somewhere.
    *Phenom II x2 550BE @3.1GHz*HIS 4870 1GB*WD RE3 1TB sata II*Coolermaster Dominator CM690*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w*Patriot Viper 2x2GB DDR2 6400 @EPP 4-4-4-12*
    GA-MA770-UD3 rev 2.0*TRUE Rev C + AC MX-2*Thermalright HR-03-GT vga cooler
    *120m fans: Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER blue LED/Xigmatek XLF-F1253 orange-white LED/
    4 x AC Ryan Blackfire 4 UV-LED blue, blue-green & blue-orange/Sharkoon 'golfball' silent eagle 2000

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to see you got it all working now! So did your cores unlock or have you got into testing all that yet?

C1E? Not sure, as that is a Intel Feature, so I have no Clue why it is in your BIOS unless there is a AMD Feature named that and I am unaware of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Great to see you got it all working now! So did your cores unlock or have you got into testing all that yet?

C1E? Not sure, as that is a Intel Feature, so I have no Clue why it is in your BIOS unless there is a AMD Feature named that and I am unaware of it?
    It's great isn't it

Regarding C1E, it looks like AMD have added support for that, which as you say, seems to be an intel thing. My understanding is that it reduces cpu clock speed considerably while you're in idle state and when an application needs more processing, it increases speed.

To be honest, I'm dying to see if it'll unlock, but I'm worried about overheating until my core contact freezer cooler arrives, and also, when I unlock, I won't be able to read the core temps anymore. Lsdmeasap, to get back to dual core I believe I would need to clear the cmos. Would I simply have to pull the cmos battery out of this board for 1 minute and then replace, or are there any jumpers I need to fiddle with as well?

edit: I just read my manual and it says either remove battery for 1 minute, or place jumper cap over 2 pins for a few seconds. Now we know, lol!
    Last edited by Merlin5; 09-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    *Phenom II x2 550BE @3.1GHz*HIS 4870 1GB*WD RE3 1TB sata II*Coolermaster Dominator CM690*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w*Patriot Viper 2x2GB DDR2 6400 @EPP 4-4-4-12*
    *120m fans: Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER blue LED/Xigmatek XLF-F1253 orange-white LED/
    4 x AC Ryan Blackfire 4 UV-LED blue, blue-green & blue-orange/Sharkoon 'golfball' silent eagle 2000

I just had another go at unlocking. I set ACC to all cores, and it got further this time into windows, actually to my desktop, and a couple of program error windows from microsoft came up from catalyst control centre and AVG. But there was a BUZZING sound (what does that suggest, any idea?) and then it went back to the bios start menu. I also didn't try upping the voltage yet.

I DID try undervolting though in case unlocked cores were rated at a lower speed. But couldn't get into bios, lol, blank screen. I had to reset the cmos. I couldn't get the battery to come out and was scared of breaking the metal contact and plastic tabs around it. And didn't think it was a good idea to put a kinfe down the side to release it. So I tried the other way that the manual described with a jumper. I found a jumper from an old hard drive and put it over the 'CLR CMOS' pins for a few seconds. Fortunately that worked! At least I now know how to clear cmos.

I'd tried undervolting it by -0.050v, and it took normal volt of 1.34v down to 1.3v. Do you think I should increase the volt this time and by how much? How important is it to disable Cool 'n Quiet, because I forgot to disable on both attempts.

Odd to see them use the same name, C1E... Wonder what Intel will have to say about that?

Ya, I would wait on a good cooler as well. But I think you would be fine to test the unlock at stock speeds, shouldn't add all that much more heat.

Why no core temp readings when unlocked? Are you sure about that, or someone just tell you? I am not sure myself, so just asking. It does seem odd that would happen, but I guess anything is possible

Clearing CMOS would not be needed I don't think, you could just disable the settings that enable the other core, then all should go back to normal. If you do end up having to clear the CMOS, in post #2 here I made some suggestions on how to do that >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

I see you made an attempt, sorry I reply as I read

Sounds like you just need more voltage still, did you get time to check to see if the other core was enabled before it restarted, or can you tell on the BIOS post screen?

I would disable the C1E and any other similar features like cool and quiet you mention. Then just bump the voltages in small amounts until you get booted to windows to check the cores. Only a LARGE Voltage adjustment, like going from 1.3 to 1.5 would cause major heat increases, small bumps would be fine. Just keep an eye on your temps in the BIOS and you should be fine

Yeah, I think I have to face defeat

I've tried loads of permutations, and it gets as far as the windows welcome screen before rebooting itself, and sometimes gets into the desktop before rebooting. I mostly get a screen just after leaving the bios of jumbled little squares of colours for about a second or two, and often it makes a short buzzing sound just as it gets to windows. My latest bios config was :
    ACC Auto, and also All Cores
    Disabled Cool n quiet
    Disabled EPP to bring my ram voltage down from 2.1 to 1.8
    HT Link down to 1.6GHz
    NB Voltage to 1.120v
    CPU NB VID Control (+0.025v) 1.1250v
    CPU Voltage Control (+0.075v) 1.425v ( normal is 1.34v)

All I get is more heat, cpu temp in bios is normally 46c to 47c, and it went up to 55c.

I've also tried to see if I can get it tri-core by doing per core. Tried up to
    -10% on one core while putting the other to -2% and +0%, then reversing. I've lost track of the other variations I tried. Tried doing with no voltage increases and also with increases on various of the voltage parameters available, like NB, and CPU NB VID. Tried reducing HT link to 1.6GHz and 1.4GHz.

Thing is, only motherboards with SB710 or 750 can do this, so is it worth me trying to add voltage to the SB/HT voltage control?

Hmm, your last thought there may be on to something. I would try it for sure, since as you say only those boards allow it that may mean those chips have something to do with it.

If you have no luck, it may just be that your CPU is not going to work properly like that. In the end, that IS why AMD Disabled the cores on some, they do not function properly

I tried it, no luck. I checked out the number on it today, it's one of the good batch numbers, 0924 which is supposed to unlock. But, it's obviously too faulty to unlock. Never mind then, I'm really happy with the stock processor, it's fast enough

That is why AMD Tried to shut this down, they did not want users complaining theirs would not unlock. Sounds like you just got a unlucky chip, or have not tried hard enough or properly?

Sorry it's AMD, otherwise I could help more if it was Intel

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    That is why AMD Tried to shut this down, they did not want users complaining theirs would not unlock. Sounds like you just got a unlucky chip, or have not tried hard enough or properly?

Sorry it's AMD, otherwise I could help more if it was Intel
    Well maybe someone who is more talented could unlock it, but, I've certainly tried many things for hours, with voltage increases, and all sorts of different variations with ACC.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information