Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA MA770 UD3 rev 2.0 - Bios updating

Default GA MA770 UD3 rev 2.0 - Bios updating

Hi, I'm new and it's nice to be here

I've been doing some bios flashing, from FA to FD, then FD to FB, and FB back to FA. I read your posts about not using @BIOS. Before reading them, I erm..HAD actually been using it, 3 times in fact, (yikes! you say), with no problems. I always closed down any TSR's and unplugged my modem.

So today, I tried out Q-Flash and it worked fine and I'm going to stick with Q-Flash, it's just as simple. It just meant I had to connect up my floppy drive. I'm back to FB as that is the first bios my phenom x2 550BE supports according to gigabyte's cpu compatibility list, which I only discovered today.

I was getting lower temps by 5C to 6C with FA, but was told by gigabyte that FA might be giving me inaccurate temps since FA isn't supported. There was one glitch though. After getting into windows desktop after the bios update, and a few seconds after it loaded my normal taskbar stuff, the mouse froze and it rebooted. Once back to my desktop, a windows message came up saying windows has recovered from a serious error. I'm not sure if the bios update had anything to do with it, or something else, any idea?

All is well now though. My other question is, how many times can a motherboard be safely flashed before doing damage, if at all? I read that it can be done thousands of times, but need confirmation on that. Cheers.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: GA MA770 UD3 rev 2.0 - Bios updating

Did you follow the following step from the Bios Flashing Guide immediately after your bios flash completed?
    Once you have flashed and rebooted back into the BIOS choose Load Optimized defaults and save and apply. This is a required step for the flash process to complete, and for the new BIOS to be properly loaded into the chip.
    If not, load Optimized bios settings now, save settings and exit, then re-enter the bios and make any required changes to your bios.

Many have "bricked" their motherboards when using the Windows based flashing utility. This can happen with any motherboard brand.

Ideally, your system would be hooked up to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) setup because a power outage during the flashing process can destroy your bios.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You are safe to flash as many times as you like, provided all goes well each time you will have no issues.

Random crashes in windows could be due to the BIOS you are using or settings within, or just random driver/programs causing it in windows.

You can simply put your BIOS files on a USB Stick and use in Qflash if you like, no need for a floppy really unless that is all you have

Thanks guys.
    profJim, yep, I did all that, I'm always thorough with reading up and absorbing instructions before doing something, especially bios flashing! My heartrate increased massively each time I flashed. It was sort of exciting in a scary way if that makes sense

Anyway, I'm now back to the first supported bios version 'FB' for my chip, and it's the only version with hybrid mode, allowing me to try unlocking again. Whether there would be any benefit in me having the latest bios FD, I don't know, but I would certainly lose the hybrid mode. Unless it's hidden and I couldn't find it.

FB - Update ACC code and CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code for Phenom X3 CPU)

FD - Update CPU ID(AGESA 3.5.3.0 for PhenomII /AthlonII AM3 CPU)
    *Phenom II x2 550BE @3.1GHz*HIS 4870 1GB*WD RE3 1TB sata II*Coolermaster Dominator CM690*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w*Patriot Viper 2x2GB DDR2 6400 @EPP 4-4-4-12*
    GA-MA770-UD3 rev 2.0*TRUE Rev C + AC MX-2*Thermalright HR-03-GT vga cooler
    *120m fans: Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER blue LED/Xigmatek XLF-F1253 orange-white LED/
    4 x AC Ryan Blackfire 4 UV-LED blue, blue-green & blue-orange/Sharkoon 'golfball' silent eagle 2000

It should be in the new BIOS as well, at least they made a public comment that they would be adding it in all supported SB Boards BIOSes.

If you think it might be hidden try Control + F1 on the MAIN page, then go look again in the page where you think it should be.

If you want tell me which section and I can look inside each BIOS for you and tell you if it is indeed there or not

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It should be in the new BIOS as well, at least they made a public comment that they would be adding it in all supported SB Boards BIOSes.

If you think it might be hidden try Control + F1 on the MAIN page, then go look again in the page where you think it should be.

If you want tell me which section and I can look inside each BIOS for you and tell you if it is indeed there or not

That would be great if you could do that Lsdmeasap, would save me the risk of flashing again. I think I've pushed my luck with 4 flashes in a few days.
    It's interesting you mention it, because someone else also said to me that ctrl +F1 reveals things, so perhaps it's there. Though I read where others mentioned version FB as the one to have for hybrid. Anyway, if it's there, it would be in the bios at this section:

M.I.T. >>

Advanced Clock Calibration >>

ACC (select disabled or auto)
    EC Firmware (select Normal or Hybrid)

EDIT: I should add, when I had bios FD, the EC Firmware was there, but there was no hybrid mode to select. That's where it differs from version FB.

Perhaps gigabyte had pressure from AMD to stop including the ability to unlock cores?
    Last edited by Merlin5; 09-11-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    *Phenom II x2 550BE @3.1GHz*HIS 4870 1GB*WD RE3 1TB sata II*Coolermaster Dominator CM690*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w*Patriot Viper 2x2GB DDR2 6400 @EPP 4-4-4-12*
    *120m fans: Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER blue LED/Xigmatek XLF-F1253 orange-white LED/
    4 x AC Ryan Blackfire 4 UV-LED blue, blue-green & blue-orange/Sharkoon 'golfball' silent eagle 2000

Ahh as long as you do it properly you will be fine. I sometimes flash 5 or more times a day, several times a week (Even to BIOS that are not for my boards)

Ya, check with Control + F1, some BIOS it reveals hidden settings, other times they are visible and that is not needed.

Gigabyte told AMD to kiss off! HAHA, they will be unlocking cores always
    AMD Blocks Unlock; Gigabyte Fights Back - Tom's Hardware

AMD locks dual/tri core CPUs, Gigabyte & ASRock answer back - Page 1 - XCPUs

I will grab FB and FD and compare for you and post images to let you see if I think you should be able to select it in both BIOSes. One sec

Ahaha, excellent articles Lsdmeasap, thanks for the links

Yeah, you wanna click at the top of that where it says 'other version : rev. 2.0'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information