Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X48-DQ6 continous POST loop

Default X48-DQ6 continous POST loop

This is the first computer I have tried building myself, and the components are as following:

- GA-X48-DQ6 rev 1.3 mobo
    - Intel core 2 duo E7400
    - 2x 2gigs GSkill DDR2-800 ram, 1.8v-1.9v
    - ATI radeon HD 4980 video card
    - 500W Antec Earthwatts PSU

The problem I am having seems pretty common, whenever I try to power on the system there is a continous cycle of the mobo powering on for about 5 seconds, then shutting off.

I have tried rebuilding the entire system to check for loose or bad connections, I have tried running the system with a different PSU and video card, I have tried tricking the BIOS into thinking its a bad boot, I have tried all possible RAM configurations and I have tried clearing the CMOS numerous times but the same problem always persists.

I am at a complete loss of what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

PS. I was on the gigabyte website looking at supported CPU's (although it distinctly advertises compatability with Core 2 Duo's) and it said the E7400 is compatable in BIOS versions F8D and up... is there a way to check what BIOS version I have? Or is there a way to flash the BIOS without getting the system to POST? Or is this the issue at all?

Thanks, bewmar
    Last edited by bewmar; 09-12-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: X48-DQ6 continous POST loop

BIOS version is shown on th left top side at boot time. Disable LOGO in advanced BIOS settings.

I can't get to the BIOS...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Was this boxed or used? If boxed then you may need to borrow another 775 CPU that will allow you to flash the BIOS, as sometimes unsupported CPU will not boot up.

F8D is a beta BIOS, and for sure did not ship with your board, so you very well may need another CPU in order to flash to that BIOS.. Sometimes unsupported will work and just have issues, other times it wont even boot.

So it could possibly be the cause, but I would test the ram also if possible in another system to rule that out too.

Are you sure you fully cleared the CMOS? Just asking, my suggested method is here for users who are having issues, post #2 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-12-2009 at 01:40 PM.

"I would suggest with one stick of ram you go in and set some voltages. MCH add .2 and DDR set to .2, refresh to act delay to 70, then you should be able to use all 4. You should not have any issues with 2x1, especially if you set the proper voltage. Unless one of them is dead/dying." (Changed ram to .2 becoz your ram spec says 1.9 max?)

LSDmeasap when I had continuous reboot loop, no post...
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...92/index7.html

I guess the x48 doesn't recognise EPP profiles too well, so you need to do the settings manually.
    Last edited by Salty; 09-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.

CPU
    =
    i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
    Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
    - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
    Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
    , BIOS Version = Award FC
    Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
    Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
    Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
    PSU = Corsair HX850
    OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

I am leaning more towards the CPU not being compatible since it was JUST added in the latest Beta, there may have been some issues until just now.

But of course please try the above as well, and what I suggested if possible about testing the ram in another system. Most likely thought you will need another 775 CPU to fire it up and flash the BIOS before you can use your 7400

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I am leaning more towards the CPU not being compatible since it was JUST added in the latest Beta, there may have been some issues until just now.
    This is what I was leaning towards, the reason I didn't consider this before now is because I bought the CPU and motherboard in a combo deal from newegg and assumed that they were compatable. After talking to newegg they told me that combo deals are never guarenteed to be compatable and are just random popular items... and you wouldn't believe how much they wanted to charge me to return the CPU.

I will go to the local computer store today to purchase, use and return a compatable CPU to flash the BIOS, and hopefully they have a computer they will let me use to run memtest. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

So I bought a compatable CPU, the E8400, and the same problem occured when I switched it within the case. I then took the entire thing apart on a bench and ran the system with only the video card attached to a monitor and I recieved continuous long beeping (I think it is long, I don't have the basis to tell because I haven't heard any short beeps) and then went into the same reset loop as before. I then tried substituting an old ATI Rage card in for my current video card and there were no changes to the beeping or looping. The manual says continuous long beeping is a video card error and continuous short beeping means a power error.

Anyway, I tried installing some RAM and the beeping stopped completely and the system went into the reset loop. I have not been able to test this RAM in any fashion since I don't have access to a computer that can accept it, nor do I have other sticks that I can use temporarily. I really don't know what to make of these new developments. Any advice?

Thanks again, bewmar
    Last edited by bewmar; 09-14-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Did you try it with one stick of ram only?

CPU
    =
    i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
    Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
    - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
    Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
    , BIOS Version = Award FC
    Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
    Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
    Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
    PSU = Corsair HX850
    OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Quote Originally Posted by bewmar View Post
    So I bought a compatable CPU, the E8400, and the same problem occured when I switched it within the case. I then took the entire thing apart on a bench and ran the system with only the video card attached to a monitor and I recieved continuous long beeping (I think it is long, I don't have the basis to tell because I haven't heard any short beeps) and then went into the same reset loop as before. I then tried substituting an old ATI Rage card in for my current video card and there were no changes to the beeping or looping. The manual says continuous long beeping is a video card error and continuous short beeping means a power error.

Anyway, I tried installing some RAM and the beeping stopped completely and the system went into the reset loop. I have not been able to test this RAM in any fashion since I don't have access to a computer that can accept it, nor do I have other sticks that I can use temporarily. I really don't know what to make of these new developments. Any advice?

Thanks again, bewmar
    Did you try one stick of ram? Can you record and post the error sounds? Sounds to me, if it is Many multiple beeps fast, that the ram setting tRD is too low. This can happen anytime and since you cannot access the BIOS to change you will always get the error

Try with only one stick of ram in slot one and see if you can post to the BIOS, if so wait and report back here for settings advice

*edit*

Actually, do you now have it going without a error beep and only the Reboot loops? If so, please clear the CMOS and try again with one stick of ram in slot one

If you can't get to the BIOS you may need to borrow or buy a cheap 1.8V stick of ram, so you can get in the BIOS and flash and install your other CPU, then adjust settings per your normal memory you plan to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Did you try it with one stick of ram only?
    MY first thought!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information