Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA790X-UD4P Black Edition CPU problems

Default MA790X-UD4P Black Edition CPU problems

Hi

I've bought a MA790X-UD4P with a Phenom II X2 550 BE to give my current M2N-E/X2 6000+ setup to my kids. Booted once in bios, looked at temps and settings for about 10 minutes then rebooted to install Windows but it never reposted.

On reboot, VGA (8800GT) fan would spin at 100%, HDD and power leds were both on and screen would go in stanby mode. Reset and Power buttons would not work either, I had to use the PSU switch to turn it off.

I then tried the X2 6000+ with the same hardware (which has been running fine for a year) and all went perfect. I installed Windows without a glitch. Since Windows was running fine on the MB, I've tried switching back to the 550 BE and tried F5, F6 and F7 BIOS version but none of those would change the symptoms.

I then tried the new 550BE in a M3A76-CM mobo and it boots just fine.

I took the 7750BE that was with the M3A76-CM and put it in the new MA790X and it would not post.

So I have a MA790X-UD4P that won't post with Black Edition CPU's but will post with a standard X2.

Can someone suggest anything else than a BIOS update before I ship this board back ?

Sorry for the lenghty post, I hope that I'm clear.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: MA790X-UD4P Black Edition CPU problems

Sorry I am not up to speed when it comes to AMD. Is there a 550 normal, and then 550 BE? Just wondered as I thought maybe CPU/BIOS incompatibility and checked your CPU Support list and only find the 550 (BIOS F4 needed), without BE so I wanted to be sure

What Speed memory are you using? I ask because I know some CPU's wont work with 1066Mhz ram, but again you would know more about that then me so I am sure you looked into that.

Is the PSU you are using maybe in your thoughts as part of the issue? You didn't mention a PSU, and again I am not up to speed on AMD, but maybe the PSU you are using is not good enough for the BE's? Just a thought, likely not part of the issue but thought I would ask

If you are not using the latest BIOS, that could be the issue. I do suggest you update it and try again if you are using an older BIOS. Latest is F7 here >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev. 1.0)

Please do not use @BIOS, use Qflash instead. Here is a guide on using that >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

First, thanks for your reply.

This mobo is widely known for its compatibility with my cpu

RAM is DDR2-800 and its working fine on this board with another cpu

PSU is OCZ ModXtream 600W.

As I said, every piece of hardware in this setup checks out fine and is working properly with the X2 6000+ cpu, but it just won't post with any Black Edition cpu's.

Pete

Hmm, well if you know all to be compatible then I would think maybe BIOS? Are you using the latest one?

Yep, tried all available versions from Gigabyte's website.

Thanks for trying.

Hmmm, well about the only thing I can suggest then is for you to contact them and see what they have to say. You can send in a report ticket here >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Let us know if the provide you with any answers, sorry I can't offer any better advice on this!

Can you possibly test a different CPU << (I meant PSU), different brand or larger just to be sure as PSU Incompatibilities can show up in random ways such as this?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-16-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Change CPU to PSU

I've already sent a tech support request to Gigabyte before posting here yesterday. I have not received an answer yet.

<quote>Can you possibly test a different CPU, different brand or larger just to be sure as PSU Incompatibilities can show up in random ways such as this?</quote>
    As previously stated, the whole setup works fine with a X2 6000+ but not with a X2 550 BE or a X2 7750 BE.

Those are the 3 cpu's that I have at my disposal

The mobo is toast, RMA or return it for exchange.
    Had the same thing happen to me in the early days of Phenom on a different brand mobo.
    Mobo works great with an x2 (K8) won't POST with a Phenom (K10).

With K10 CPUs there are separate power planes for the cores and the CPU NB(memory controller), each one can be set independently. At least on higher end mobos like this one.
    With K8s the CPU NB is still there, but runs at the same voltage as the cores and draws power from the same source as the cores do.

There is something wrong with the power circuitry that supplies the CPU NB, that is why the Phenom CPUs won't POST. No power to the CPU NB.

On the x2, because the NB gets its power from the same source as the rest of the CPU it will POST.
    Mushkin Enhanced comes alive...

Need help with your Mushkin Product? Click Here

Thanks a lot for your time, that's what I was afraid happened. Anyone know how long Gigabyte takes to answer service tickets ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by FTPete View Post
    Thanks a lot for your time, that's what I was afraid happened. Anyone know how long Gigabyte takes to answer service tickets ?

Pete
    Strange, I have the same board and I put a 7850BE in it and 4Gb of ram and once I set the correct ram volts I had no prblems at all.

It worked with the original bios and every bios up to and including the latest.

I even have my 7850BE overclocked to 3GHz by only upping the multiplier and nothing else.
    There are loads of people that use the same board with either a 7750BE, 7850BE or the 550/BE without problems.
    I would have gone for the 550BE if I had not already had the 7850BE knowing that it would work ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information