Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Yeah, bad news for sure. There is no Microsoft instructions for doing what you say, and I can tell you the way it is done is FAR more advanced then changing one registry setting.

If you want the method to install AHCI After OS Properly let me know and I will link you to it

8GB of ram, you better just hold off on the AHCI Business as I bet you will have some issues getting that stable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah, bad news for sure. There is no Microsoft instructions for doing what you say, and I can tell you the way it is done is FAR more advanced then changing one registry setting.

If you want the method to install AHCI After OS Properly let me know and I will link you to it

8GB of ram, you better just hold off on the AHCI Business as I bet you will have some issues getting that stable as well.
    Yes, I want the method for installing AHCI after OS, so please give me the link.

Well, I will do the AHCI thing first and wait on the RAM.

Sock it to me. :)

Those are all methods for XP, and not Vista 64-bit. I have the iaStor.sys installed in system32/drivers and that is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver x64

Same procedure per vista

You need to edit some files and do much more than you mentioned you did previously, so you can't have done it properly

Clean Install is best, be careful if you do not have a backup you may end up on this route anyway.

AHCI is not any faster than normal SATA mode, so you will not see any benefits anyway unless you need to hot plug your drives or something.

I have heard you may also try updating the driver in device manager with the proper driver, but not sure how that works. When I do this for clients I ALWAYS do a clean install, except for in XP I will do a repair install and load the driver during the repair install. Which you can't do in vista as it does not perform repair installs

Same procedure per vista

You need to edit some files and do much more than you mentioned you did previously, so you can't have done it properly

Clean Install is best, be careful if you do not have a backup you may end up on this route anyway.

AHCI is not any faster than normal SATA mode, so you will not see any benefits anyway unless you need to hot plug your drives or something.

I have heard you may also try updating the driver in device manager with the proper driver, but not sure how that works. When I do this for clients I ALWAYS do a clean install, except for in XP I will do a repair install and load the driver during the repair install. Which you can't do in vista as it does not perform repair installs
    So I get NCQ even without AHCI? I don't need hot plug. The only reason I want AHCI is for NCQ. I ran the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Console and it does say NCQ Support Yes. Do you get that without AHCI?

I switched it back from AHCI to Disabled and the Intel Matrix Storage Console would not give any information, said something about a plug-in not being installed. I then switched back to AHCI and the Console reported all the information as before. Whether or not this means I have AHCI truly enabled is beyond me, but at least I know NCQ is enabled and supported now.
    Last edited by JVM; 09-17-2009 at 03:24 AM.

I downloaded the F6c BIOS and extracted it to a formatted floppy disk and will soon do my very first BIOS update. If you don't hear from me by tonight, you will know something is wrong.

Well, this is a strange one. I used Q-Flash and a floppy with F6c installed on it, did the process and it said all was fine but when I hit any key to exit, the screen went back to giving me a choice to save or load file to drive. I loaded optimized defaults and booted to Windows and checked the BIOS which still says F3. The BIOS download included two things, the BIOS F6c and FlashSPI. Have I missed something? Was I supposed to do something with that FlashSPI?

One other thing that may be important: the file says ex38ds4.f6c should I rename that to ga-ex38-ds4.f6c or something else? I used Q-flash.

I then tried using 2 floppy disks as per your instructions but that gave me a bad command when typing flashSP1 ex38ds4.f6c

Any other suggestions? I don't have a USB drive so it is either Q-Flash or the 2 Floppy method.

Success! I did it!!! Apparently I was loading optimized defaults and then changing the BIOS before saving and exiting. Anyway, there are a few different things in this F6c BIOS and I just set it to AHCI and left it there. I ran CPU-Z and saw the F6c BIOS noted. I also saw the miltiplier change from 6 to 9 and back to 6 again with my Intel Core Duo 2 E8400. Otherwise, all seems well and tomorrow I will install the additional 4 gigs of RAM and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information