Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Default Re: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

There is one issue I see in Device Manager: Under ATA/ATAPI Controllers there is IDE Channel listed twice with a yellow caution. The explanation is This Device cannot start (Code 10) There is nothing listed there except a Microsoft driver.

The only change I see in the new BIOS that may be why that is happening is Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode. There are 3 options: IDE - SATA Ports work as IDE. AHCI - SATA Ports work as AHCI. And the third has to do with RAID. I set it to AHCI, as I did with the other option still there from the F3 BIOS.

Like the manual said, if you are not having a problem with your BIOS--leave it alone!

Two things: I chose IDE under Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode and the yellow warning for IDE Channels disappeared. The ATA channels also disappeared, but since nothing was in there, no big deal. This Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode was called Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) in the F3 BIOS I am fairly certain.

2. In Device Manager under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers is Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller with Intel driver. So, I think that solves the question of whether I have AHCI installed correctly. I don't know why it is there and not under Storage controllers.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    Success! I did it!!! Apparently I was loading optimized defaults and then changing the BIOS before saving and exiting. Anyway, there are a few different things in this F6c BIOS and I just set it to AHCI and left it there. I ran CPU-Z and saw the F6c BIOS noted. I also saw the miltiplier change from 6 to 9 and back to 6 again with my Intel Core Duo 2 E8400. Otherwise, all seems well and tomorrow I will install the additional 4 gigs of RAM and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help.
    Glad to see you got it flashed!!!

You CPU Multi issue is because you have Intel Speedstep enabled, to make it run at the max multi always you need to disable this. The options are C1E and EIST, once you disable those your CPU will always use the 9 multi

There is one issue I see in Device Manager: Under ATA/ATAPI Controllers there is IDE Channel listed twice with a yellow caution. The explanation is This Device cannot start (Code 10) There is nothing listed there except a Microsoft driver.

The only change I see in the new BIOS that may be why that is happening is Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode. There are 3 options: IDE - SATA Ports work as IDE. AHCI - SATA Ports work as AHCI. And the third has to do with RAID. I set it to AHCI, as I did with the other option still there from the F3 BIOS.

Like the manual said, if you are not having a problem with your BIOS--leave it alone!
    Two things: I chose IDE under Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode and the yellow warning for IDE Channels disappeared. The ATA channels also disappeared, but since nothing was in there, no big deal. This Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode was called Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) in the F3 BIOS I am fairly certain.

2. In Device Manager under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers is Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller with Intel driver. So, I think that solves the question of whether I have AHCI installed correctly. I don't know why it is there and not under Storage controllers.
    Very odd, this may just be all due to the way you changed things around instead of installing properly? I can't really say as I have not tested those methods or the one you used myself, so not sure how it all should look.

So all is well then now? If so great to hear! If not post back anytime and let us know

I followed the registry fix stated by Microsoft and installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from MB disk to get AHCI. Here is the link to that Microsoft fix: Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Gigabyte is very confusing here on the Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode--this was not in the F3 BIOS.

Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode offers 3 choices:

1. IDE--SATA Ports work as IDE

2. AHCI--SATA ports work as AHCI (This seems like the logical choice when using AHCI--but things are not always logical in the Gigabyte world. ;-)

3. RAID--SATA ports work as RAID--I think that was the last one.

When I chose 2. AHCI, I got that yellow warning thing for the 2 IDE channels listed in Device Manager under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers. When I changed it to IDE, all was well, no yellow warning. This setting was not in F3 BIOS. There was a setting in F3 BIOS similar to this but worded much differently:

Onboard IDE controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. I had that set to enabled in F3 BIOS--but this setting is not in F6c BIOS and the other above is what I believe replaced it.

Finally, now we come to two questions:

1. Since I do not use hot plug, why do I need AHCI? AHCI is available in Vista if the hardware calls for it, but I think you still need to have AHCI enabled. The question really is if AHCI increases performance?

2. If I disable C1E and EIST, then do I lose the benefit of both cores running at reduced speed when not necessary? What would you do?

Just to let you know, I installed the extra 4GB of G.Skill RAM for a total of 8GB and all is well. The BIOS picked it up with stock settings of 5-5-5-15 same as I had before. So, no issues thus far and Vista reads 8.00GB.

I followed the registry fix stated by Microsoft and installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from MB disk to get AHCI. Here is the link to that Microsoft fix: Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Gigabyte is very confusing here on the Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode--this was not in the F3 BIOS.

Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL Mode offers 3 choices:

1. IDE--SATA Ports work as IDE

2. AHCI--SATA ports work as AHCI (This seems like the logical choice when using AHCI--but things are not always logical in the Gigabyte world. ;-)

3. RAID--SATA ports work as RAID--I think that was the last one.

When I chose 2. AHCI, I got that yellow warning thing for the 2 IDE channels listed in Device Manager under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers. When I changed it to IDE, all was well, no yellow warning. This setting was not in F3 BIOS. There was a setting in F3 BIOS similar to this but worded much differently:

Onboard IDE controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. I had that set to enabled in F3 BIOS--but this setting is not in F6c BIOS and the other above is what I believe replaced it.

Finally, now we come to two questions:

1. Since I do not use hot plug, why do I need AHCI? AHCI is available in Vista if the hardware calls for it, but I think you still need to have AHCI enabled. The question really is if AHCI increases performance?

2. If I disable C1E and EIST, then do I lose the benefit of both cores running at reduced speed when not necessary? What would you do?
    Well that method mentioned by Microsoft is to fix issues for those who installed AHCI Properly, and not backwards like you have tried to do, which is why you are seeing the issues mentioned below that and why I said you are likely NOT running AHCI mode, it only appears that way because of the above mentioned registry change you made.

Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL should be set to IDE if you installed using that method, AHCI Should only be selected when you install/installed using a AHCI Driver

Onboard IDE controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) is in your BIOS and ONLY enabled the IDE Ribbon cable devices, teh above did not replace it at all they only changed the wording of the other controller is why you are confused.

See below image, this is where you will see the Gigabyte controller setting mentioned above, circled in RED. The Intel Controller choices is circled in Blue (The TOP Part of your BIOS with these SATA Settings and Port 0-3 mode choices, middle is Gigabyte/J.micron controller) >>

They only added RAID/AHCI to the Gigabyte SATA Controller menu due to the X38-DQ6 having onboard SATA ports (Purple) for this chip, your board does not

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge)
    Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel ICH9R Southbridge or
    configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.

Disabled Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to
    PATA mode. (Default)

AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller
    Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to
    enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and
    hot plug.

RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge)
    Specifies the operating mode of the integrated SATA controllers.

Disabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.
    In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared
    with other device. Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating
    systems that do not support Native mode, e.g. Windows 9X/ME. (Default)

Enabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.
    Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support
    Native mode, e.g. Windows XP/2000.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Onboard IDE Controller (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
    Enables or disables the IDE controller integrated in the GIGABYTE SATA2 chip. (Default: Enabled)

^^ This is where your BIOS has now added the RAID/AHCI I mentioned, that does not apply to your board ^^
    1. No, AHCI Does not offer anything you desire really. And no, you do not need it and if you want to use it you must use one of the mentioned methods previously to properly enable it, or reinstall your OS using the correct drivers pre-install

2. Yes, disbabling C1E and EIST will make it so your CPU always runs at full speed, and does not clock down at idle. I disable it so that CPU's run at full speed, plus I am an overclocker so I do not want this enabled anyway

Just to let you know, I installed the extra 4GB of G.Skill RAM for a total of 8GB and all is well. The BIOS picked it up with stock settings of 5-5-5-15 same as I had before. So, no issues thus far and Vista reads 8.00GB.
    Nice to hear! Now for some stability tests, then you will see that you do need to likely make some adjustments

I don't know why you keep saying I don't have AHCI enabled when I already said there is a Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller listed with Intel driver dated 7/12/07 Version 7.6.0.1011

Furthermore, the Intel Storage Console reads my SATA drives and lists them as Generation 2 NCQ Yes.

If I set the BIOS to back to original setting, no AHCI (disabled), the Console does not see my SATA drives. At the beginning of the post period, there is a section that reads only hdd and CD/DVd before it goes to regular post.

The fix from Microsoft is also for those who already installed the OS and change to AHCI:

"During the Windows 7 or Windows Vista installation process, any unused storage drivers are disabled. This behavior speeds up the operating system's startup process. When you change the boot drive to a driver that has been disabled, you must enable the new driver before you change the hardware configuration.

For example, assume that you install Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a computer that contains a controller that uses the Pciide.sys driver. Later, you change the SATA mode to AHCI. Therefore, the drive must now load the Msahci.sys driver. However, you must enable the Msahci.sys driver before you make this change."

I did that and installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from MB disk and that also installed the iaStore.sys driver to system32,Drivers folder where details state Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver x64--and that is the driver said to install during the OS installation for AHCI in the manual.

Now, I have two questions for you:

1. The post screen goes by so fast I cannot read it, and I have Full Logo enabled. Is there a way to pause that Post screen?

2. For some unknown reason to me, the system Fan2 header no longer provides 12 volts. When I put a fan with say 1500rpm max into that header, the speed is shown in both speedfan and BIOS as around 800rpm. Now, this is not a major issue since I run a front fan in there and the lower rpm speed is suitable, but I don't know why this changed from before with the F3 BIOS when it worked fine. I have disabled the MB control over fans. The header in question is a 4-pin header and the fan is a 3-pin fan.

3. I will run memtest86 and check the RAM, but so far I don't see any problems.
    Last edited by JVM; 09-19-2009 at 01:46 AM.

One more thing, you state above "Onboard SATA/IDE CTRL should be set to IDE if you installed using that method, AHCI Should only be selected when you install/installed using a AHCI Driver"

Then you say below in the picture that it does not apply to my board because I don't have the purple ports--and I have to use IDE.

I am using the BIOS for my board and why does it include something that does not belong there? Secondly, I get the error --yellow warning thing--because I chose AHCI where you say I must choose IDE, and yes, when I choose IDE the yellow warning thing disapears and all is well.

Hmm, you very well may be correct. I have not used windows 7 for any amount of time to know if those changes are easily made like you have done.

1. You can disable full screen logo, or you can hit TAB at the logo screen to see the POST information

2. Some SYS_FAN 2 headers have issues, with certain BIOS or in general. Since yours worked before at full speed, was it the same fan? Do you have smart fan control enabled in the PC Health section? If so disable it. If not, please test a normal 3 pin fan and see if it runs full speed on this connection. If so it could be the BIOS causing the fan to only run on 5V due to being a 4Pin fan

For your last comments, sorry you are correct! Thier changing of the names had me confused as well in my first comments and I did not look back to change them as I checked your BIOS and made my final notes and images out for you

I am not sure why they include those settings on your board, as I said I can only imagine it is due to the DQ6 having the extra ports that your board does not and someone got lazy and just ported the DQ6 BIOS to DS4 and overlooked leaving those settings selectable to you.

For those please leave on IDE as there is no AHCI or RAID With IDE Ribbon devices, that is all the controller on your board supports since you do not have the additional SATA Ports we discussed above for this controller/settings. You just need the Intel controller set to AHCI not the Gigabyte one

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm, you very well may be correct. I have not used windows 7 for any amount of time to know if those changes are easily made like you have done.

1. You can disable full screen logo, or you can hit TAB at the logo screen to see the POST information

2. Some SYS_FAN 2 headers have issues, with certain BIOS or in general. Since yours worked before at full speed, was it the same fan? Do you have smart fan control enabled in the PC Health section? If so disable it. If not, please test a normal 3 pin fan and see if it runs full speed on this connection. If so it could be the BIOS causing the fan to only run on 5V due to being a 4Pin fan

For your last comments, sorry you are correct! Thier changing of the names had me confused as well in my first comments and I did not look back to change them as I checked your BIOS and made my final notes and images out for you

I am not sure why they include those settings on your board, as I said I can only imagine it is due to the DQ6 having the extra ports that your board does not and someone got lazy and just ported the DQ6 BIOS to DS4 and overlooked leaving those settings selectable to you.

For those please leave on IDE as there is no AHCI or RAID With IDE Ribbon devices, that is all the controller on your board supports since you do not have the additional SATA Ports we discussed above for this controller/settings. You just need the Intel controller set to AHCI not the Gigabyte one
    I have Smart Fan disabled, always have, and the fan I used in that header is a 3-pin fan--same fan as before. I checked the fan in another header and it ran fine to maximum. So, there is a problem with that SYS-FAN 2 Header and it could very well be because of the new BIOS, although I don't understand how that could happen. I did not clear CMOS when flashing to new BIOS, if that means anything. All my other fan headers are working well. The only other 4-pin header is my CPU Fan Header and I have a 3-pin fan connected to that and it does give me 12 volts. So, the only issue is SYS_FAN 2 Header--weird!

If I disable Full Screen Logo and hit Tab, will it pause during booting? I thought having Full Screen Logo enabled would allow me to read the Post Screen or at least put it on pause.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information