Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Sorry, I thought you said a 4pin fan! Most are 3 pin headers for Sys-Fan 2 which is why that sounded normal to me

Your CMOS will be cleared when you flash and the new BIOS may have different hidden paremeters per those fan connections. That could be why the issue is present in this BIOS vs the old one. Sys_fan 2 has been known on MANY boards to be quirky, some don't even work!

No, TAB is only needed if you leave full screen logo enabled, otherwise the information will always be shown. No, there is no way to pause it

Full screen logo only shows an image, and hides the POST information. This can be disabled or as I mentioned TAB'd from Image to POST Information

So what have I gained from updating the BIOS to F6c? A quirky Sys_FAN 2 header! A listing in Integrated Peripherals that does not apply to my board. But what have I gained that is positive?

Of course, I could go back to F3 BIOS, but this new BIOS is like an adventure, you never know what is going to happen next.

I am not sure, likely many Memory fixes and enhancements you are just not noticing and a faster AHCI BIOS

Yeap, you could always go back if the fan issue bothers you that much, but I wouldn't I'd just move the fan to another header or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I am not sure, likely many Memory fixes and enhancements you are just not noticing and a faster AHCI BIOS

Yeap, you could always go back if the fan issue bothers you that much, but I wouldn't I'd just move the fan to another header or something else.
    I hooked the fan up to a Zalman FanMate 2 and able to increase the speed to a suitable level, not 12 volts, but at least something practical. Why it works better with the FanMate than straight in is something only Rod Serling would understand.

I ran the Windows memory check and it went fine with the full two passes, no errors detected. I could do memtest86+ but that can wait, seems like everything is running normal.

What I did find annoying is not seeing the screen showing the new BIOS information stating F6c. I did see the F6c BIOS noted in CPU-Z.

HAHA Ya only Rod Serling could help you grasp that! HAHA

You can verify that F6c is used in the BIOS on the MAIN Page press F9

I understand RAID 0 provides significant increase in speed, but if one drive fails, you lose important data. I have Acronis True Image to make an image of my drive and update with new images periodically. However, with 3 hard drives in my computer, I don't see how I could take advantage of RAID 0 and make a full image with Acronis--I mean, you can't copy RAID 0 onto a single disk--correct?

Next we have RAID 1 that mirrors both drives but does not provide the speed advantage with RAID 0. Plus, it is actually slower than using a single drive. I assume using RAID automatically enables AHCI.

Your thoughts?

Yes, you can. I run RAID 0 myself and use Acronis to backup to a single drive. The Acronis image is just a file is all, don't matter where you stick it you will be fine

RAID 1 also cuts your disk space in half too!

Yes AHCI will be enabled for drives not in the array

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, you can. I run RAID 0 myself and use Acronis to backup to a single drive. The Acronis image is just a file is all, don't matter where you stick it you will be fine

RAID 1 also cuts your disk space in half too!

Yes AHCI will be enabled for drives not in the array
    Now that really surprises me with Acronis. So, when you go with RAID 0 and combine 2 disks as one, you can copy the image of those two disks onto a single drive? I have 3 500GB SATA2 drives. Using RAID 0 would give me a lot more, make that enormously more space than I need (1 TB), but if it provides a significant increase in speed, I like the idea. In other words, RAID 0 would be 2 drives combined with the same drive letter, such as C for example. I then would use Acronis to copy C to the other 500GB drive I have, such as letter D for example. Acronis would then shrink the size of C when copied to D--correct? If one drive fails in RAID 0, what do you do? Replace that drive and what?
    Last edited by JVM; 09-19-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    Now that really surprises me with Acronis. So, when you go with RAID 0 and combine 2 disks as one, you can copy the image of those two disks onto a single drive? I have 3 500GB SATA2 drives. Using RAID 0 would give me a lot more, make that enormously more space than I need (1 TB), but if it provides a significant increase in speed, I like the idea. In other words, RAID 0 would be 2 drives combined with the same drive letter, such as C for example. I then would use Acronis to copy C to the other 500GB drive I have, such as letter D for example. Acronis would then shrink the size of C when copied to D--correct? If one drive fails in RAID 0, what do you do? Replace that drive and what?
    I use acronis but only to resize partitions and what not but not for back-up. But I would think the backed-up image file would be a compressed file but no bigger then the total amount of data thats on the drive. So if you had 300gb on that 1tb (raid 0) drive the back-up image would be no bigger then 150gb-300gb depending on the compression used.

Yes if you raid 2 drives in raid 0 and if you install windows to these drives they would show up on My Computer as C: with a total size of 1tb (reality 938gb roughly) and the 3rd drive would show up as D: or next available letter as 500gb.

I have 1 300gb that my OS is installed on and 2 1tb drives in raid 0 equals to 1.81tb that I use for storage and my games so I dont have to keep reinstalling. The games I play will rewrite the reg entries if needed when you play then. This way when your playing games its not on the OS drive so the only action that drive is doing is reading the game not every thing else.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    I use acronis but only to resize partitions and what not but not for back-up. But I would think the backed-up image file would be a compressed file but no bigger then the total amount of data thats on the drive. So if you had 300gb on that 1tb (raid 0) drive the back-up image would be no bigger then 150gb-300gb depending on the compression used.

Yes if you raid 2 drives in raid 0 and if you install windows to these drives they would show up on My Computer as C: with a total size of 1tb (reality 938gb roughly) and the 3rd drive would show up as D: or next available letter as 500gb.

I have 1 300gb that my OS is installed on and 2 1tb drives in raid 0 equals to 1.81tb that I use for storage and my games so I dont have to keep reinstalling. The games I play will rewrite the reg entries if needed when you play then. This way when your playing games its not on the OS drive so the only action that drive is doing is reading the game not every thing else.
    I am kind of lost here. You setup a RAID 0 but installed your OS on a different drive, perhaps drive D? You boot from the D drive (OS) and accesss your games on drive C, RAID 0?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information