Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    I am kind of lost here. You setup a RAID 0 but installed your OS on a different drive, perhaps drive D? You boot from the D drive (OS) and accesss your games on drive C, RAID 0?

No... I have my 300 gb hdd in port 0 on intel controller and the other 2 drives in port 1 and 2. set up raid array for the 2 1tb drives on port 1 and 2. Windows Names which ever you drive/partion you are installed onto or boot from drive C:

So for me port 0 is 300gb drive C:. Port 1 & 2 1tbx2 drive D:
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    No... I have my 300 gb hdd in port 0 on intel controller and the other 2 drives in port 1 and 2. set up raid array for the 2 1tb drives on port 1 and 2. Windows Names which ever you drive/partion you are installed onto or boot from drive C:

So for me port 0 is 300gb drive C:. Port 1 & 2 1tbx2 drive D:
    So after you boot from C, how do you access your games, files, etc.? By clicking on drive D?

yes or the short cut that gets installed to your desktop or from start menu. Just have to tell the app or game installer to install the other drive. There is nothing special you have to do other then changing the install path.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    yes or the short cut that gets installed to your desktop or from start menu. Just have to tell the app or game installer to install the other drive. There is nothing special you have to do other then changing the install path.
    What about Documents, Pictures, etc. that normally go on the OS, including favorites and all? I am using 64-bit Windows so there is x86 and x64 Program files. I use Firefox and this setup of yours seems kind of complicated. You access Program Files from your drive D?

What about Documents, Pictures, etc. that normally go on the OS, including favorites and all? I am using 64-bit Windows so there is x86 and x64 Program files. I use Firefox and this setup of yours seems kind of complicated. You access Program Files from your drive D?

Anything windows related or anything thats part of windows will be on the drive you install windows onto. Small programs like Firefox install in to their default location. Only game that or big apps that take up over 1gb of space is when I install them to my raid drives. 32 bit or 64 bit dont make a difference as far as this is concerned. With Vista installed and any light weight program install I am using 41.8gb of my 300gb. My raid drives have 538gb of data out of 2tb.

I only stated this as a example of what some people do b/c yes 2 hdds in raid 0 are supposed to be faster but you can only access small files so fast which is not needed for windows to be installed on it b/c its all small file. Compared to tring to access files over 300-500mb like movies and games which have huge data files.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Thanks for the explanation as now that part of it is clear to me. The part that troubles me is if one of those RAID O drives fail and even if you made a backup to say another drive, I don't think you can restore your RAID array from that single drive backed up. So, I guess you would have to start fresh with a new RAID 0 array?

In your case, you would only have to back up the array without Windows, but if I installed everything on RAID 0, then what good is having a backup image of the drive (RAID 0) except that I could boot up from the backup and be fine without RAID 0. Of course, I could then make another RAID 0 array, but the point is if I need to do RAID 0. Since I don't have many files as large as you, (I have 1 game larger than 1 GB) and Pictures is fairly large but would go on OS drive anyway, seems like I wouldn't gain that much going with RAID 0.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Now that really surprises me with Acronis. So, when you go with RAID 0 and combine 2 disks as one, you can copy the image of those two disks onto a single drive? I have 3 500GB SATA2 drives. Using RAID 0 would give me a lot more, make that enormously more space than I need (1 TB), but if it provides a significant increase in speed, I like the idea. In other words, RAID 0 would be 2 drives combined with the same drive letter, such as C for example. I then would use Acronis to copy C to the other 500GB drive I have, such as letter D for example. Acronis would then shrink the size of C when copied to D--correct? If one drive fails in RAID 0, what do you do? Replace that drive and what?
    RAID is seen by the OS as one single drive, even if you use 2-6 drives windows will ONLY see one large drive. So a Backup, no matter the program (Some exceptions likely), will backup that single drive as one disk image. Acronis for sure, and MANY others also.

Yes, for 3 Drives if you wanted to use 2 for RAID and one for Backup your OS would see C (2x RAID Drives) and D (Third Spare Drive)

Yea, backup C to D, no problems. And yes acronis does compress the image file, and you can choose from several compression levels. I leave it on the default and often a 80GB Drive will backup to a 20-40GB Image file.

If one drive fails in RAID 0, meaning DEAD Hard Drive, you will have to buy another and wipe the remaining good drive and do a restore to both drives in a new array from your backup image.

Same applies if one corrupts, wipe then reinstall from image

Thanks for the explanation as now that part of it is clear to me. The part that troubles me is if one of those RAID O drives fail and even if you made a backup to say another drive, I don't think you can restore your RAID array from that single drive backed up. So, I guess you would have to start fresh with a new RAID 0 array?

In your case, you would only have to back up the array without Windows, but if I installed everything on RAID 0, then what good is having a backup image of the drive (RAID 0) except that I could boot up from the backup and be fine without RAID 0. Of course, I could then make another RAID 0 array, but the point is if I need to do RAID 0. Since I don't have many files as large as you, (I have 1 game larger than 1 GB) and Pictures is fairly large but would go on OS drive anyway, seems like I wouldn't gain that much going with RAID 0.
    Yes, see above. You can backup a RAID 0-10 array of any number of disks to one single image file on one single drive and restore to any RAID Method you want

You would gain Speed by using RAID zero, your HD Benchmarks such as HD Tach or HD Tune, Crystal mark, ect will double or better for a RAID 0. And you will feel this speed increase in windows how apps open/start, how fast windows starts and shuts down, ect.

It is nice for sure, if you have the disks I do suggest it!

Thanks, for making all that clear to me. Here is the one question that bugs me:

After a drive fails in the RAID 0 array and you replace that drive with same type, you can restore the array from the single backed-up drive using Acronis? That is the part that confuses me, backing up using one drive to make the RAID 0 array. If I understand correctly, the RAID 0 array is seen as one single drive in "C" and the Acronis restores the Array (RAID 0) by restoring that single image onto the RAID 0 array?

Yes, if it can do that, I would certainly go for RAID 0. One other question, when doing the RAID 0 and it asks for a Volume Name, what does that mean? In other words, how does that Volume name appear?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, you can replace a drive and restore from backup stored on a single drive.

Yeap, acronis sees a RAID Array as a single drive, as does your OS. Then when it makes a backup images it makes it into one single file, does not matter where or how you store this file.

Volume name is just something you choose to label your RAID Array is all, pick anything you like. This name will appear in Intel Matrix Storage Manager, on your bootup AHCI BIOS Post Screen, and on any other programs that can read your RAID Array volume name. Just a name is all, pick anything

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, you can replace a drive and restore from backup stored on a single drive.

Yeap, acronis sees a RAID Array as a single drive, as does your OS. Then when it makes a backup images it makes it into one single file, does not matter where or how you store this file.

Volume name is just something you choose to label your RAID Array is all, pick anything you like. This name will appear in Intel Matrix Storage Manager, on your bootup AHCI BIOS Post Screen, and on any other programs that can read your RAID Array volume name. Just a name is all, pick anything
    OK, thanks again! Kind of amazing what you got me to do since coming here. For years I was afraid to do a BIOS update, never even tried it before. Now, because of you, I did the F6c BIOS update, went back to F3 BIOS update to see if that fixed the SYS-FAN 2 issue, which it did not, so then went to F5 BIOS update, which I have now, again to see if it fixed that SYS_FAN 2 issue, which it did not. So, in just two days I did a number of BIOS updates when I had never done one before! Reading your BIOS update guide gave me the confidence to do try doing what I was always afraid to do before. Now I find doing BIOS updates fun and look forward to the next one.

Take this one step further and now we have RAID 0. I now feel excited about doing the RAID 0 and will do that when I install Windows 7, when it becomes available. The one thing I would appreciate knowing from you is what should I download from either Intel or Gigabyte to install during the Windows 7 installation for RAID 0?

And thanks again for all your help.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information