Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem waking from sleep, anyone else?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problem waking from sleep, anyone else?

any ideas?
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    OCZ GOLD OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24
    THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME 1366RT
    CORSAIR HX1000 CMPSU POWER SUPPLY
    XFI EXTREME MUSIC SOUND CARD
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS
    1 SATA2 SEAGATE 500GB DRIVE
    1 SATA WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 300GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 250 GB DRIVE
    COOLERMASTER ATCS840 CASE
    RUNNING VISTA 64 ULTIMATE and Windows 7

Can anyone help me with this??
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS

Ok I just installed Windows 7 using a different HDD installing nothing except the driver for my sound card and the video card driver. No software or any other drivers at all. I tried the sleep and wake and still have the same problem! Computer is slow to fully respond,(about 5 minutes) and randomly the auto play menu pops up for the HDD as if I just then plugged them in. I also tried setting all the ram setting to auto except I kept the CAS at 8 TRCD 8, TRP 8, and the TRas at 24.
    Some one for god sake help me solve this please!
    Thanks in advance
    Shane
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS

Although sound card and video card drivers should not matter, since you mentioned them it leads me to believe you think they might.

Do you have the same issue with the sound card and drivers not installed? How about GFX Card installed of course, but no drivers?

We can't really advise if you dont post your settings that are failing, we have no clue if your current questions apply to stock clocks or overclocks and what BIOS you are using now.

So, please post your full settings that are failing and we will try to see what could be wrong. As you have already found though, it may just be that your board will not properly resume with a quad after a certain FSB

My settings are posted on the first page! I am running f9e bios now. I only mentioned the sound card driver and video driver to give you guys as much info as possible to help me.
    Thanks
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS

Hi. I think what you are doing is very interesting, testing with various devices on or off. The sleep problem is common to a lot of gigabyte boards so its either:
    1) a vista issue
    2) a gigabyte board issue (since they use a lot of common components)

The better way to test these devices is to actually deactivate them in the bios. You can disable the onboard sound card, the various ethernet ports, etc in advanced peripherals. Disabling them in windows via device manager might work, but when the system is recovering from sleep you can't be sure they aren't being momentarily turned on or something.

I looked extensively into the gigabyte sleep problem on my board. I got some tips from microsoft as to the settings that promote sleep and they let me go from not being able to overclock at all to being able to overclock up to 413 fsb. Those settings are posted on several threads in this forum. I found that at default settings the board could sleep and at oced settings up to about 413 the board could sleep (using the proper vista settings), but beyond 413 sleep function was lost. However the board was stable at oced settings well beyond 413. I varied ram timings (to a very very extensive degree trust me), cpu settings, etc and really tested and that was about as far as I could get.

I've read a lot of things about ram timings, and voltages, and etc. I don't think its the ram at all. Its more likely to be a cpu/northbridge/power supply issue. Ram takes very little power to run continuously compared to what it takes to bring an oced cpu from 0mhz all the way up to 4ghz in one full blast. Anyway I hope that helps a bit. I really doubt you'll be able to solved the vista sleep issue, but as long as you're not using SSDs, its fairly easy to use hibernate in the same fashion as s3 sleep without any real difference in functionality (1 sec vs 15-20 secs, but considering i often have to use the bathroom before i actually get to sit down and use my pc its not a big deal)

Well as I stated above I am now running windows 7 and have the same problem so its not a vista problem. Onboard sound is disabled as I am using a xfi card. I found in windows 7 that it enters sleep mode alot faster but still have the problem with it being slow to respond when waking up.
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS

How do I know if I installed DES and if I did how do I remove it?
    How do I know if I installed Gigabyte/J.Micron ports for RAID or AHCI and if so how do I uninstall it?
    DES is Dynamic Energy Saver, you would find it in add/remove programs if it is installed. If so uninstall it

Gigabyte/J.Micron Drivers you would see a GMBxxx Listed in storage controllers in device manager, uninstall it

Since you are using the same settings as before I am confused as to why? I suggested several changes and things for you to try out, have you yet? If so or not, why are you still using the same settings that are giving you issues?

I can help, but your are going to need to stop being so stubborn about giving me your current settings, they can't/should not be the same always when we are suggesting changes for you to make constantly. I just noted you are using x20, this can also be an issue, please try x21 or x19 for now

I will test F9e right now for UD5 in UD4P at 200 Bclk (At x19/x20/x21) and I will assume I can resume from S3 without issue. I cannot test in my UD5 as it is not setup right now, but the BIOS will tell me if it is working or not no matter the board.

Give me about 20 minutes if you are here now, I have a few tabs open I need to reply to first, then I will test and report back
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-22-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Ok, tested using x19, x20, and x21 Multi's with 200 Bclk (This does not mean you should not still try using x19 or x21)

I had no problems resuming from S3 sleep using UD5 F9e BIOS. Tested 5 times >>>

So I assume this means your BIOS settings are still a bit off possibly, I did not even test or tweak mine for this board with a BIOS that is not even for this board and had no issues so S3 is fixed for sure. It would have to be your settings, a memory incompatibility issue, or some program/driver giving you issues. I would think settings before anything else as I suggested several things for you to try and you never reported back with any of your changed settings so I could try to help you further

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information