Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Setting up RAID

Default Setting up RAID

I have a GA-MA78GM-US2H board and I was going to setup raid but the only option it gives me is JBOD. My board supports different raid levels I was going to setup RAID 0 with two identical 500 gig sata drives. But its a no go ? Seems to be the only option I have. Why ?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Setting up RAID

Do you only have those two disks installed?

If they match then you should have the other options, sounds like you have a third disk in the mix possibly? If you do have Three or more drives, remove the others until you have created your array then you can add them back

Check both drives for jumpers on the back and remove them if you find any

Very odd if you do only have two disks, and they match up. Are you using the latest BIOS?

no other disks. two identical 500 gig sata drives and one ide cd/dvd burner. sata drives have no jumpers. I havent had a bios update since I bought the board think its necccesary ?

Yes, a BIOS update is suggested to the latest version, but that may not be necessary right now to fix your issue.

Please be sure you have your drives connected to the proper ports. Connect your Two OS Drives to SATA2_0 and SATA2_1. Then connect your CD/DVD Drive to one of the last two SATA2_4 or 5

This should be your BIOS settings >>>

OnChip SATA Controller ..............................................Enab led

OnChip SATA Type (SATA2_0~SATA2_3 connectors) .......................RAID

OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type (SATA2_4/ESATA connectors) .................Disabled/IDE

If you do update your BIOS, please DO NOT USE @BIOS! Please use Qflash, here is a guide >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Are you sure both of these drives are functional 100%? Can you test in another system? Do one of the drives already have partitions on them, if so delete them as this could cause this issue but not likely I would think as the RAID Creation would just delete them

You are sure that the disk are exactly the same size and model? Just checking, sometimes a similar model may be a bit smaller is why i asked, which would cause JBOD to be the only option

Both drives are connected to the said ports you described. My DVD Burner is IDE so it is in an IDE port.

My Bios
    OnChip SATA Controller Enabled
    OnChip Sata Type RAID
    OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type As Sata Type

Still shows JBOD. Both drives are functional and the same model and type. I have used them before as back up drives but since wiped them and wanted to setup a RAID 0. Only partitions that are on the drive is NTFS file system. I tried to delete/erase in the fast utility and create a new LD but again JBOD is the only option it gives me.

Bios screenshot

Reminds me. It says Sata 4/5 ? I only have 4 sata ports..
    Last edited by greyclear; 09-20-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Please try deleting the partitions altogether. You should not create anything on the drives until after you make the array

Have you maybe set or changed something in the standard CMOS? Those should all be set to None/None/Auto as shown below, for your hard drives anyway I mean >>

SATA 4/5, is SATA_4 and eSATA (5) on your board

forgot about esata. I'll wipe the partitions off and go from there. Where IDE channels I should set these as none? It auto detects what is plugged up... let me go look at this and see. Thanks

Yes, please look

You can leave your actual IDE Device (Ribbon cables) set however you like, but just be sure the RAID to be drives are set as Above - None/Auto

same thing

Hmm, can you or have you tested these disks with the manufacturers tools to be sure they are not faulty?

Thread Information