Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Setting up RAID on EX58-UD5

Default Setting up RAID on EX58-UD5

This is my first venture on setting up a RAID array. I haven't installed an OS yet, and just powered on the system for the first time.

I'm a bit confused about the fact there are two controllers on this board, the JMicron and the Intel ICH10. I've read mixed reviews about which to use. I currently have my 4 drives attached to the JMicron, but it only offers me the ability to create Raid 0, "Safe", and JBOD arrays. I bought 4 drivers with the idea in mind to create a Raid 5 array. The Intel controller offers this feature, correct?

How should I go about setting up the controllers for the first time? I set the BIOS to safe settings, and then enabled the RAID in the BIOS, that's about as far as I've gotten. Not sure on which options to enable/disable, and how to configure the array itself.

Any information would be appreciated. Or, if this is too elementary of a question, a link to a decent reference would be also appreciated. Anything to get my array setup and Windows 7 on it :(.

Note: i7 950, 3 x 2 G-SKILL Triple Channel, 4 Caviar Black 640GB drives.

Default Re: Setting up RAID on EX58-UD5

The picture in your manual shows the location and instructions are midway in the back. http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/...8-ud5(p)_e.pdf It may be best to remove both computer access panels when plugging these in.
    ICH10? Oh well the ICH10 does not offer RAID. The ICH10R offers RAID-5. The EX58-UD5 has a ICH10R southbridge. connect to SATAII_0-SATAII_3 for RAID-5 Windows 7 in a RAID-5? I don't know. I think it would be the same instructions and drivers as Windows Vista in a RAID 5.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 09-22-2009 at 06:20 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Use the intel, not the jmicron. Its easier and more frequently updated. Basically plug in all drives to the same set of ports (ie all yellows, all purples, etc) then in advanced peripherals set to raid. when raid menu comes up, enter the menu and setup the array and you're done.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I suggest you use the Intel one as well. Plug your 4 drives into SATA2_0 - SATA2_3 and then connect your CD/DVD Drives onto SATA2_4 or 5. Then you need to enable the following settings in the BIOS, then proceed to the RAID BIOS ROM (Control + I at bootup/IRQ Screen) to build your array

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Thread Information