Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

If you are passing Memtest86+ and Prime, then no need to change the memory. That memory should run fine at 1.8V with the timings set by JEDEC at 555-15.

I did check in your BIOS and you are correct, no voltage adjustments for memory

Are you using Ganged or Unganged? Have you tried it the other way around?

It very well could just be this drive is not functioning properly or is not compatible with your board, can you test it in another system and can you test another drive in your system?

Did you install the latest chipset drivers?

VorlonUK:

how many passes with all 4GB of ram installed did you make with memtest? I assume you did use version 2.11?
    Just the one pass, I'll set it away again tonight, so should get approx 7 hours worth. Version 2.11 as you recommended.

Have you anything else on the IDE interface?
    No

If it's the only drive are you using a flat or round data cable, or the one supplied by GB.
    Have tried all these, a round cable, another flat one supplied by GB (in the MB box) and another I had "lying around" from another older GB board.

Is it the 80 conductor 40 pin type?
    Not sure how that would look compared to an "ordinary one".

Is the drive say set to it's default jumper setting, ie often shipped as master?
    This one was shipped to Slave, but I changed it to master.

In windows are there any conflicts in device manager?
    None

What mode is the drive in (in device manager ie ultra dma 2/4 etc) also is DMA checked?
    Will find out (I only have one monitor and must switch this machine off to change between VGA and DVI).

LSDMEASAP:

Are you using Ganged or Unganged? Have you tried it the other way around?
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means.

It very well could just be this drive is not functioning properly or is not compatible with your board, can you test it in another system and can you test another drive in your system?
    Have tried the drive in my (working) system (a GA-KTV800 Pro) and it worked fine - tried the one in my working system (an HP) with the GA-M61PME and it did the same - ie powered off after 20 secs or so of a burning simulation.

I should perhaps also mention that I have tried burning different things, to different media (DVD and CD) both for real and in simulation. The system always powers off after roughly the same amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you install the latest chipset drivers?
    Yes I did - originally the problem was reported to the supplier who took the CPU, MB and memory back and replaced them with entirely new identical items. In the meantime, Gigabyte released new chipset drivers, I was overjoyed and thought this would sort out the problem. It didn't.

It would be interesing to se what mode windows had put it in and if DMA is enabled.
    However I have found similiar stories on the net in relation to the IDE interface with Nvidia chipsets causing coasters when burning a CD/DVD as the PC shuts down.

So with this in mind and seeing you've checked quite a few things that appear to be OK, it might be worth focusing on the IDE side of things. Either you could try:-

1) Different bios settings, such as turning "IDE Prefetch Mode" off ie disabled

2) Trying different Nvidia drivers.

3) Or as Dvd/cd drives are relatively cheap these days and if you don't need to use the 2nd sata port, try an sata cd/dvd drive. The only draw back you'll have with that, is that some utilities using certain boot loaders won't boot from sata drives.

4) Downgrade the ide cable! A number of years ago the 40pin/40 conductor cable was upgraded so it could do speeds of greater than 33MB/s (UDMA 2), so an extra 40 conductors were added all connected to ground and all inserted inbetween the data cables. The cable conductor sizes became smaller to accomodate the greater mass.
    Well since then most IDE interfaces check for the 80 conductor cable and if it's not present they will make sure the Bios selects UDMA 2, whereas normally it would be set at say UDMA 4 (for dvd) and a hard drive at UDMA 5 or 6.
    The cables you normally buy today are the 80 conductor type as of course everyone wants optimal speed.
    However if it is an IDE chipset bug that can be resolved (as i've been reading) from slowing the interface down to UDMA 2 (33MB/s), which in reality is fast enough for a DVD/CD drive, then it might be worth it.
    All you'll need to do is find a 40pin/40 conductor cable which may be a little tricky these days.
    I'll see if i can see any about as it would help to troubleshoot to see if infact it is an ide bug.

Other suggestions:-
    5) Remove the IDE channel from device manage, rather than disable, reboot and allow windows to install it's generic driver than use the nForce one.

6) Try using the latest Nforce driver from Nvidia rather than using the Gigabyte Package.

7) Try changing DVD drive jumper from slave or master to CS (cable Select).

Hopefully theres a few things you can try - probably best start off with the quick and easy checks first :)
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-23-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    It would be interesing to se what mode windows had put it in and if DMA is enabled.......
    Yes, Ultra Mode 4 - but that got me thinking, what of PIO ? - Blimey, it sailed through the simulation - only at 8 x speed, but at least it worked!

So with this in mind and seeing you've checked quite a few things that appear to be OK, it might be worth focusing on the IDE side of things. Either you could try:-

1) Different bios settings, such as turning "IDE Prefetch Mode" off ie disabled
    Tuned back to UDMA 4 and disabled prefetch - back to shutting down.

2) Trying different Nvidia drivers.
    A brief google search showed up a couple of bad links to those drivers and another couple of (maybe unwarranted) scare stories about NVidia IDE drivers in general.

3) Or as Dvd/cd drives are relatively cheap these days and if you don't need to use the 2nd sata port, try an sata cd/dvd drive. The only draw back you'll have with that, is that some utilities using certain boot loaders won't boot from sata drives.
    To be honest, I was a gnats whisker away from just buying a different "everything" again.

4) Downgrade the ide cable! .......as i've been reading from slowing the interface down to UDMA 2 (33MB/s), which in reality is fast enough for a DVD/CD drive, then it might be worth it.
    In a world obsessed by speed and recently dominated by SATA drives, what kind of a horder keeps old ide cables in a box and writes "ATA 33" on the oldest ones.... um ... oh hang on - that'll be me! I have just the cable

Wow, what a counter intuitively brilliant IDEa (sorry, bad pun) - works like a dream, DVD burning now up to 16x speed while back to UDMA - perfectly good enough for my customer's modest needs.

VorLonUK - you are a genius of the highest order and have saved me loads of time & best of all, money. Plus, I have learned a thing or two on the way. After three weeks of trying to work this out, you sorted it in a couple of days.

I'm coming here again.

Thanks also to everyone else for jumping in, I have never come across such an equally authorative and helpful crowd on a forum. If there's ever anything I can do in return, just let me know,

Paul

In a world obsessed by speed and recently dominated by SATA drives, what kind of a horder keeps old ide cables in a box and writes "ATA 33" on the oldest ones.... um ... oh hang on - that'll be me! I have just the cable

Wow, what a counter intuitively brilliant IDEa (sorry, bad pun) - works like a dream, DVD burning now up to 16x speed while back to UDMA - perfectly good enough for my customer's modest needs.

VorLonUK - you are a genius of the highest order and have saved me loads of time & best of all, money. Plus, I have learned a thing or two on the way. After three weeks of trying to work this out, you sorted it in a couple of days.

I'm coming here again.

Thanks also to everyone else for jumping in, I have never come across such an equally authorative and helpful crowd on a forum. If there's ever anything I can do in return, just let me know,

Paul
    Glad you've got it all sorted :)

There must be some sort of IDE bug betwen that Nvidia chipset and IDE cd/dvd drives. But in theory with it now set to UDMA 2 (at upto 33MB/s) shouldn't hamper the DVD drive at all as even the latest 24x dvd drives max out at 32.40 MB/s. It's good that you had a 40pin/40 conductor cable to hand as they are not such a commonly found cable these days.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Superb to see this is all sorted now!

And nice to see you back in the forums again VorLonUK! I would have never thought of that myself! Genius!

Thanks Lsdme :)

As you know it's these sort of posts/problems I find interest in, where it's good to see something eventually operating as it should do.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) although I overclock albeit modestly myself, I'm rarely interested in the overclocking posts which do tend to take up a sizeable chunk of all the forums posts.

Glad to see you could help here, and hope you can stop in when time permits to help with things you find interest in as we need all the knowledgeable people we can get here.

Thanks again, and glad to see you back in action!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information