Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Q9550. The quest for 4Ghz starts now.

Default Re: Bought a Q9550. The quest for 4Ghz starts now.

After testing my system with Win 7 64 bit (I see you have vista 64 bit), I have arrived at a conclusion that for some reason unbeknownst to me that IBT doesn't like a 64 bit OS.

I get failures after a few runs to ok on the same settings. I might get 17 sec @ 51 GFlops to 30 sec @ 45 Gflops. Crazy right!

So lodingi my un-professional thoughts is to run P95 64 bit version on blend for testing and not IBT at all. Then follow these unwritten not proven guidelines. Also keep in mind the above testing procedure...

Code:
    Small FFT 
    This test uses data that fits completely into your CPU's level 2 cache, it stresses the processor intensely but does not stress the RAM or the link between the RAM and the processor. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vCore 
    Possibly low CPU Termination (VTT) 
    Possibly low/high CPU ref 
    Possibly low PLL (clock generator) voltage

Large FFT
    This test uses large "pieces" of data that require information to be moved in and out of RAM quite intensely to constantly feed the processor. The data in these calculations doesn't fit completely in CPU onboard cache, so the work load on the MCH and RAM is huge. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vDIMM (RAM voltage) 
    Not enough (and rarely too much) MCH core voltage 
    Incorrect MCH ref voltage 
    Unstable memory timings (includes both main timings ie 5-5-5-15, and also tRead and tRFC. 
    Only fails because of processor when vCore is waaaaaay too low!

Blend
    This alternates between small and large data sets, and although it is a useful "last test" when run for say 24 hours after you believe you have everything dialed in and it passes Large and Small seperately, it's confusing for fault finding.
    If Blend fails it could be for any reason mentioned for small FFT and large FFT leaving you with no indication what to do to stablise the system.
    Last edited by Conners; 10-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Well drat. I thought we were about to clear the hurdle but no luck. I used Prime 95 x64 v25.11 & had the same problems. I moved the settings up & down and still came up with a hard lock or BSOD each time.
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case**Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 - F8 BIOS**BFG EX-1000 PSU**Intel Q9550 @ Stock**CM Hyper-212 Plus Cooler**G.Skill 4x2 GB DDR2 1000**2xWD 1TB Caviar Black 32MB Cache Raid0**Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus 1 TB **Vision-Tek Radeon 4870X2 (2 gig)**Asus VE276Q 27" Monitor**Win7 Ultimate 64

Chike is offline Senior Member

Maybe use a less stressful program than Prime95 then? LOL
    If IBT fail there is something wrong, you may try LynX instead, it's just the same.

I have been rreading up on IBT apparently people have issues with it running properly in some cases. Here are three things AgentGOD suggests.

Could you try placing the IntelBurnTest folder on C:\ instead of C:\dir\dir\dir?
    You're missing .NET Framework 2.0 and/or Visual C++ 2008 Runtime

I know I don't have >NET Framework 2.0 or Visual C++ 2008 Runtime so I am going to install them and see wot happens....

If you did not have .NET Framework or c++ runtimes it would not even start.

Chike I did not say I didn't have .NET Frame Work or c++ installed. Obviously they are installed with the OS. .Net 2.0 is already included in the OS installation of WIN 7 I found out. However c++ is 2005 is installed with Win 7 and he says you need c++ 2008 which I installed and everything works fine now.

So instead of trying to belittle what person says, if you could spend your time trying to help solve the problem it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BTW here is the link to his thread on Intel Burn Test to read it for yourself...

Here is a screen shot for you..

And here is one at max stress level.

I'm thinking it's a setting issue & not an IBT issue. I can run both IBT & P95 all day without crashing. My system becomes very unstable at 450 fsb. I used both programs at 450 & both crash each time.

What I've learned from you the last couple weeks is one's ram is what makes or breaks an o/c. The proc & motherboard is more consistent. I hope I'm right in this assumption.
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case**Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 - F8 BIOS**BFG EX-1000 PSU**Intel Q9550 @ Stock**CM Hyper-212 Plus Cooler**G.Skill 4x2 GB DDR2 1000**2xWD 1TB Caviar Black 32MB Cache Raid0**Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus 1 TB **Vision-Tek Radeon 4870X2 (2 gig)**Asus VE276Q 27" Monitor**Win7 Ultimate 64

Try CPU Clock Skew 50, if any better or not worse try 100, otherwise back to 0, and try MCH Clock Skew 50,100
    You have DDR-1000 ram, I can't see a reason it should be the problem at 450FSB.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information