Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some stable RAM

Default Re: Need some stable RAM

Quote Originally Posted by mayan50 View Post
    Ok... I just threw away all of that G.SKILL ram, now can someone recommend a set of 8 GB of ram that will work out of the box for my gear below.

Thanks.
    These here have a great review..I recommend slapping these bad boys in your rig 0.3v setting in the dram voltage to run them at 2.1v and they run cool

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory

switching around cpu below
    Biostar I45 with my (E8400 EO)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6
    With My Q9550 on the Biostar T-Power I45
    Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R Rev 2.1 With the Quad in!

I didn't trash the G.SKILL ram don't worry, I'll plop it into my kids systems. I just didn't want to go down another journey of tweak after tweak. I guess I figured that someone must have a comparable system with tried and tested 8GB of ram. Unless I'm missing something, couldn't it theoretically take WEEKS to get my current ram stable? Tweak MCH, run Memtest, modifiy slightly, run Memtest again, slow ram speed, run Memtest, and so on....

What I've heard so far is:
    1. Try updating BIOS to F9 version-- this I will definitely try and perhaps go one more round of testing the G.SKILL that I have.
    2. If I buy more ram, try the OCZ that Nickel recommends with link but it is also important to buy an 8 GB matched set (Chike)

Any other thoughts?
    • GA-EP45-UD3P (rev: 1.1)
    • Bios Version F9
    • Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (not overclocked)
    • G.SKILL 4x2GB PC2 6400, Model F2-6400CL5D
    • Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower
    • Cooler Master UCP RS700 700w Power Supply
    • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    • HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD
    • WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
    • Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    • Econometrics Software: StataMP11 (4 procs)

I didn't trash the G.SKILL ram don't worry, I'll plop it into my kids systems. Unless I'm missing something, couldn't it theoretically take WEEKS to get my current ram stable? Tweak MCH, run Memtest, modifiy slightly, run Memtest again, slow ram speed, run Memtest, and so on....

What I've heard so far is:
    1. Try updating BIOS to F9 version-- this I will definitely try and perhaps go one more round of testing the G.SKILL that I have.
    2. If I buy more ram, try the OCZ that Nickel recommends with link but it is also important to buy an 8 GB matched set (Chike)

Any other thoughts?
    I'm glad you're re-using it.

As long as on a full Memtest pass it only fails on one or two tests, it shouldn't take too long to tweak. If for example it fails test 5 but passes all others, you can adjust the RAM, then loop test 5 continuously. If you get a fail within the 2 hour mark, re-adjust. If it's stable, perform a single complete pass, then load Windows and test overnight with Prime 95 blend or OCCT medium FFT etc.

There is a possibility you'll never ever get it stable though.

Matched 8GB kits may give you some small reassurance, but most of the 8GB systems I've set up have been using two matched 4GB kits. I had problems with a few on all kinds of boards, from ASUS to MSI and ASRock. The only boards I used where there were zero issues were some "DFI DK P45-T2RS PLUS". You could have stuck 8GB of Pop Tarts in the DIMM slots and it would have booted up and been stable on full auto! RAM used each time was Corsair XMS2 in both 6400C4, 6400C5 and 8500C5 flavours (and the Pop Tarts were raspberry). The only 8GB kit failed miserably and was sent back once for RMA and again for a refund (Kingston generic kit).

Have a look at these: HEXUS.net - News :: Corsair to launch low-latency 8GB DDR2 kit later this month : Page - 1/1 "Corsair guarantees that the modules will operate together at 800MHz, and at the low latencies of 4-4-4-12." You may have to decrease speed to DDR-800 any way to get 8GB going, so having lower latencies of 4-4-4-12 would be nice (though not essential).

Is the program you're mainly using a native 64bit app? I ask because even on a 64bit OS, a 32bit app can only address 2GB of memory space, or 4GB if modifications are made.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks Psycho101, I'm going to try to have a little more patience. :)

So, I have just successfully flashed to BIOS F9, loaded optimized defaults with a single stick, and am now going to put back in all 8GB of the G.SKILL and run Memtest. I'll report back tonight the results, hopefully you can help.

Thanks again.
    • Bios Version F9

Using Memtest86 v2.11:

Test #1 pretty much gave continual errors across all ram.
    Test #2 produced errors continual until about mid-way through and then was clean.
    Test #3 produced ZERO errors.
    Currently running Test #4, of Pass 1.

Again, this is using the optimized defaults loaded, F9 BIOS, all 8GB in 4 slots.

Thanks
    • Bios Version F9

I have been running 8GB of Gskill F28500-CL5D I got in 2 sets. I was worried but I have run memtest and primed it to death with nothing...not one error. I wonder if I was running the right tests at one point because I was told I could expect a couple of errors. It a wonder I went with Mushkin this build but it has been excellent too.
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
    2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Psycho101:

Update:
    Test #3 produced ZERO errors
    Test #4 produced ZERO errors
    Test #5 produced ZERO errors
    Test #6 produced ZERO errors

So, thus far, 427776 errors produced throughout Test 1 and much of Test 2 only.

Where to next?
    • Bios Version F9

Chike is offline Senior Member

Where to next?
    Your settings of course.
    Please fill the template in this post or the one after with your currect BIOS settings and post it back

First to be sure there's not a single dodgy module, use the test that produced ther most errors and go through each module seprately, ie only 1 module in the board at a time.

If that checks out ok, load optimised defaults, set any XMP or EMP profiles to disabled, set the timings manually, make sure (G)MCH Frequency Latch is on auto and set System Memory Multiplier (SPD) to 3.2B. In advanced timing control set the following:

x tRRD...............................: [ 5]
    x tWTR...............................: [ 5]
    x tWR................................: [ 10]
    x tRFC...............................: [82]
    x tRTP...............................: [ 5]
    x Command Rate (CMD) ................: [ 2]

Now go to Channel A Timing Settings and set Static tRead to 10. Repeat this for Channel B. In Channel A Driving Settings set driving strength to 1066 and repeat for Channel B. Set VDIMM to the maximum voltage allowed, plus 0.02V extra (for now). Set MCH Core to 1.26V. Also disable USB Storage Function in Integrated Peripherals for now as it has been known to cause all kinds of issues for some.

Now it's a case of re-fitting all 8GB and running Memtest. If you get any errors, restart and increase MCH core in steps up to 1.38V. If this fails, decrease as low as 1.2V, then try 1.00V.

If none of this gets you stable, choose the MCH voltage that gave the least number of errors and raise Vdimm in 0.02V steps up to 0.1V over the manufacturers spec.

If this still fails, again choose the VDIMM that gave the least number of errors.

I will check back tomorrow as it's 23:30 here and I have a training course in the morning. Hopefully these steps will see you stable.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

So, to followup, 1st pass of Memtest with all 8GB in produced errors in Test 1, 2, and 8 (then I stopped it to post my setttings). Below, is what I have right now, which amounts to Optimized Defaults and then I manually entered the 5-5-5-15 timings, and set to Standard and 100. Where to next?

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)Robust Graphics Booster ...............: AutoCPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8 XFine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.66GHz ( 333x8)Clock Chip Control Standard Clock ControlCPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled] CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0DRAM Performance ControlPerformance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]System Memory Multiplier ..............: AutoMemory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]Standard Timing ControlCAS Latency Time........................5tRCD .........................................5tRP'.... .......................................5tRAS...... ....................................15Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you goAdvanced Timing ControltRRD...........................................AUT OtWTR..........................................AUT OtWR............................................AU TOtRFC...........................................A UTOtRTP........................................... AUTOCommand Rate (CMD) ....................:AUTODriving Strength ProfilesDriving Strength ............................Channel AStatic tRead Value.........................:AUTO tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:AUTOtRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:AutoTrd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto psDimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto psChannel BStatic tRead Value.........................:AUTO tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:AutotRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:AutoTrd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto psDimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto psMotherboard Voltage ControlCPUCPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltagesCPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore. Auto is fine if not overclockingCPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65. Auto is fine if not overclockingCPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly MCH/ICHMCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; <<< LeaveMCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< LeaveICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< LeaveICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< LeaveDRAMDRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< LeaveChannel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< LeaveChannel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< LeaveAdvanced SettingsLimit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PCIntegrated PeripheralsLegacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    </PRE><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    • Bios Version F9

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information