Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Smile Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Quote Originally Posted by nopea View Post
    Good to hear!

I am not really blaming Vista... it appears to be a device driver somewhere in the mix. A driver for some piece of hardware did not cause problems in XP setup (and got no DPC spikes and audio played with no drop outs) causes problems in Vista. So I cannot blame the motherboard (as no drivers are installed for the board from Gigabyte - just the Windows's defaults and or Intel's Chipset INF).

I have tested EVERY piece of hardware and no change (works in XP not in Vista) I am doing a test on the HDD now to see if maybe the device driver in Vista for that HDD has issues.

In a nut shell - it appears to not be the fault of Gigabyte - but a device driver, and one that causes no DPC problems in XP - but does in Vista. Which device... I don't know... I have tested them all!!! On two diff. Gigabyte boards mind you.

Out of curiosity - I did a DPC Check on my wife's Compaq Vista Laptop - it had fairly high values - but they were consistent - no sudden spikes. So no I do not 'blame' Vista - but a Vista device driver.
    With my original EP45, the DPC latency levels were around 140-150us when I didn't do anything but just sit at the desktop. DPC spikes of 4000us plus would however happen for example by simply opening an instance of windows explorer. And depending on what software was subsequently run, spikes of up to 100000us plus were generated. And all of these spikes had a negative and annoying effect on running video and audio functions. Tried CLEAN installs of XP, Vista and Win 7, but problem persisted.

Second EP45 has similar average DPC of 140-150us at desktop and only occasionaly saw High DPC spike values...although usually no higher than around 2000-3000us...so is obviously a better mobo?

DPC latency with my P5Q-E setup (which is EXACT SAME hardware and software as was used with EP45) is typically 10us at desktop and doesn't spike at any of the high levels observed on EP45.

So if it is as simple as being a device driver(s) issue, then I can only say that I was not fortunate enough to resolve it?

And as I said, my setup now works flawlessly after just taking the EP45 out and dropping a P5Q-E in.
    Last edited by jimmor; 10-05-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know...

Default Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Well it could be a piece of hardware that is implemented on the board by Gigabyte that could cause problems in the Vista driver and not the XP. I was looking at that ASUS board - but read that DPC issue have been reported with that board as well.

In my case I am suspect that the Nvidia drivers in Vista might be flawed... but I have no concrete evidence of that. However, when running the Latency checker - the DCP could be nice and low till I grab and resize the window - which results in spikes. Or it could be Vista and the PCIe 16x bus device drivers.

For audio I am testing with the demo song from Acid 7 to my Presonus Firebox and the results are glitches and pops in the audio (this also was the same result with a Focusrite Saffire). The bandwidth the Firewire is being chocked big time - I cannot even capture DV video. Whenever there is a click in the audio there is a spike on the checker - but again this is only in Vista. Perhaps I will have to downgrade to XP.

Smile Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Quote Originally Posted by nopea View Post
    Well it could be a piece of hardware that is implemented on the board by Gigabyte that could cause problems in the Vista driver and not the XP. I was looking at that ASUS board - but read that DPC issue have been reported with that board as well.

In my case I am suspect that the Nvidia drivers in Vista might be flawed... but I have no concrete evidence of that. However, when running the Latency checker - the DCP could be nice and low till I grab and resize the window - which results in spikes. Or it could be Vista and the PCIe 16x bus device drivers.

For audio I am testing with the demo song from Acid 7 to my Presonus Firebox and the results are glitches and pops in the audio (this also was the same result with a Focusrite Saffire). The bandwidth the Firewire is being chocked big time - I cannot even capture DV video. Whenever there is a click in the audio there is a spike on the checker - but again this is only in Vista. Perhaps I will have to downgrade to XP.
    If your mobo works "flawlessly" with XP then I suggest you should stick with XP...for now?

Just for interest, whilst trying many potential solutions for DPC latency problems I identified that playing around with IRQ's could improve things. I also found that presetting different Core "affinities" for particular Software/drivers could also improve things?

I however chose not to go with those types of solutions since every new bit of software/driver may need special IRQ/Affinity treatment, and anyway this type of solution was essentially only masking what to me had be a mobo problem (or fault) ?

If interested, I used "set affinity II" software at link below for fixing core affinities,

Get and Set CPU Affinity - Set Affinity II - Edgemeal Software

Thanks for the suggestion! I am just ready to throw in the towel on this whole thing. I don't really want to go back to XP as I spent so much time moving to a 64bit system (a lot of my software is now 64bit software). So seems silly to go back to XP - but I might have to.

Too bad there isn't more info out there on this as far as Vista is concerned.

Ok last offer $25 and you pay shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Ok last offer $25 and you pay shipping.

Sorry dude - 15 day refund policy ;) I can get more than $25

So I have tried the following motherboards...

GA-P35-DSL3 (GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0))

GA-EP45-DS3L
    (GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0))

GS-EP-UD3P
    (GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6))

On each motherboard I tried both my Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo CPUs - I tried a Nvidia GeForce 7200 and Nvidia Geforce 8600GT. I tried 4GB of Gskill RAM and 8GB of Kingston RAM. I tried an older Hitachi SATA drive (80GB) and an new Hitachi SATA drive (500GB).

All combos have the same results... in Windows XP - running DCP Latency Checker = no spikes. Sitting idle had a max time of 72microseconds after running for 5 min. Playing back a demo song from Acid 7 thru my Firewire Audio interface with NO drop outs. In Windows Vista (64bit SP2) running DPC Latency Checker had spikes all through the test. I noticed it even more when I moved or resized a window. Playing back my demo song in Acid 7 through the same interface resulted in several drop outs till the point where all audio stops and the interface has to be unplugged and plugged back in again. When drop out occurs you can see a spike on the latency checker.

So I have to figure that some sort of device driver that works in XP does not in Vista - the big question is which device? I am still leaning towards the Nvidia cards (Vista drivers) as I would notice huge spikes when resizing Windows - but I do not have any other video card to test with.

I think this is a dead horse - I did not want to go back to XP... spent money on the 64bit OS and 8GB RAM just to have a flaw in it all

Problem Solved!!!

Awesome!!! Turns out that in XP when the power management is set to Home/Desktop this will disable Intel's Speedstep - however Vista does not... well not by default.

I went into the Bios and disabled C1E and EIST and boom! No spikes!!! well one only - but only ONE! And I can play audio thru the Firewire Interface with no drop outs!

So after all that - it looks as though it was Speedstep - which really makes sense when I think about it - CPU speed changing up and and down when certain tasks were done... I can see that jamming the Bus a bit!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Vista 64.... what is HPET bios settings?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information