Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Default Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Hi, I am new to this forum, it is actually the first time I am consulting a forum ...

I read about your gigabyte issues (or maybe not?) ... I began to wonder whether the mobo is the cause of all the problems I am having recently:

bought a new computer with GA870_UD3P, 2 Samsung 2T hdd, 2 x 4 GB RAM (but am not running 64, nvidia videocard, and realtek onboard. And I am an absolute layman in terms of computers ...

I had Ubunto installed at first (because a friend of mine is a linux worshipper) but it needed workarounds for the printer and later flash didn't update and neither did java but I need those on Internet to do an online multimedia study program (and that friend of mine was unavailable for 3 weeks).

Eventually I decided to install Vista (I had an original install cd. Seemed to work until one necessary bit was missing that they (microsoft) have stopped support for on April 14, this year (probably a week before I tried installing), so I could not install SP2 and got lots of blue screens. Got Win 7 from a friend, installed ok, but no sound, no restart a few blue screens at first, then lots in shorter intervalls. Then I installed XP (of which I also had found an old original very old CD.

From the very beginning the restart button did not work (not in Linux, nor in Vista or Win7) nor the software "restart". It would shut down Windows and start to reboot without first switching off the computer totally. It got until the point where one can enter boot, but then stopps responding. None of the keys work, not F12 or Del, it just hangs. (still does it now). I took it in to the vendor. They found one of the two hdds was broken, replaced it and installed XP Chinese (so they'd be able to work on it - I'm in China, can speak Chinese but not read it) - everything worked: sound was back, restart worked (both the button and the soft key). Back home I tried installing my Englisch version over it and nothing worked again, could not install the English version cos it didn't find the C section.

I did reformat, wipe disk and started from scratch, installing the mobo stuff from disk and then XP. Got as far as SP3 Update, but still no sound, no functioning restart button.
    Ram had been checked and is OK.

Tried registry clean, deleated all sound drivers from registry and started up again to let windows hardware manager sort it out, it did, but still no sound; installed Realtek codex 97, surfed the internet for more solutions for 2 weeks now, applied anything that was suggested, checked the CMOS settings and that to no avaial, so set back to recommended settings, found that I have an outdated Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller (dated 2001) leatest version is apparently 2006 but also read that many people had lots of problems with that, too, so hesitated to download and install.

Somewhere I read that the issue mitght be coming from intel not being inside this mobo.
    Since I managed to get as far as SP3 now I thought I'd make a bootable CD with SP3 so that I have it installed faster next time. but i am really at a loss of what to do next.
    could it be the Mobo? Guess flushing it doesn't make sense cose I already have 3.1 version, which is the latest.

The sound issue bothers me most: when I insert a cd into the drive I can see windows media Player (which I have also updated) produce sound, but nothing comes out, no system sounds either, all the hardware manager settings are ok, Realtek is the default audio device (but I was irritated about Nvidia audio also being there as default at the same time), and when I plug in the stereo speakers into the black jack at the back the manager comes on and recognises it and says everything is working properly.

Just one more thing, that makes me think it is Windows that messes up: On my old PC I also installed that Win7 and it worked fine, even without registering, and after registering, too, but recently when it did an update, my sound also suddenly went (but it had worked before) and I just reset the PC to the state before the update and the sound was back again. Unluckily I don't have any system details for that PC since the Power gave up a few days ago and I cannot remember which mobo is installed in that one (it was 4 years old, that's why I got the new PC, I could see that coming) ...

I'm really at a loss now as to how to solve that sound issue - and the restart

Any suggestions highly welcome!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Are you using the latest BIOS?

If not updating that may help with some of your issues. Latest BIOS is here, and please use Qflash to update (There's a sticky at the top of this section on how to use it)
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-870-UD3P (rev. 3.1)

As for the sound, you should check in the BIOS and be sure "Azalia" is enabled in the Integrated Peripherals or Advanced BIOS pages. Then if it is, uninstall your Nvida graphics driver and reboot, then see if you have sound, if you do then you need to custom install the Nvidia drivers again and this time uncheck the audio/HDMI portion of the driver install (Or you could try disable in sounds but that may not work)

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

I have solved the sound issue and will let you know how, cos this is unbelievable. Read on anyone if you have a similar issue with no sound.

In fact, the next day Nvidia's automatic update programme notified me about a driver update and I installed it and shut down the PC. When I switched it on the next morning I got a blue screen, again. I used system restore to undo that Nvidia driver install, and deleted the Nvidia automatic update software, but was worried that there might a bigger issue with hardware and took the PC to service again.

They did a bios update for me and confirmed that there was sound (using headphones on front panel).

When I got back home and plugged in my stere speakers, again, no sound. I kept searching forums again and found one entry that said: when configuring your speakers the "Sound Effects" --- "Environment" has to be set to anything else but "none".

When I had plugged in the speakers (numerous times before) that Realtek HD Audiomanager popped up and let me configure my speakers (under: "Audio I/O"), which I had done several times to no avail.

Fact is, that "Gigabyte Technology Realtek HD Audio Manager" all together shows 5 tabs on opening from "Control Panel" (from left to right they are: Sound effect, Mixer, Audio I/O, Microphone, and 3D Audio Demo). I had configured Audio I/O, Microphone and Mixer, but since I did not want to have any special "sound effects" like "bathroom", "concert hall", "stone corridor" or "under water", to just name a few, I did not pay attention to that feature.

Fact is that the default setting of Realtek onboard audio obviously is on "none" for "environment". Now you would think that if you do not want any special sound effects this should be the 'neutral' sound setting.

Fact is that "none" means no sound whatsoever, including system sound.

So if you want to have 'normal' sound (no special effects) or 'any' sound coming out of your PC, you have to set the environment to "room".

Why an on-board audio chip manufacturer does not set the default environment on "room" in the first place to make sure ppl can actually hear something, is beyond me.

I hope this will help other people with similar sound problems save some time. Check the "special effects" first before you dive deeper into problem solving.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you found the cause of the issue!

It must be board or driver version dependent, because my setting on what you mention is set to none and audio works fine for me.

So not sure if that's maybe just a driver issue with the board you have or maybe some conflict with the Nvidia drivers, but you shouldn't have to set anything on that setting.

Here, if you want, try the latest Realtek Drivers directly, these are what I use and never have any issues
    Realtek

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information