Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Default I am done with Gigabyte!!

I know that titles sounds likes I am just out for a rant ;-)

But really I have enough of this. I have two machines I built with Gigabyte motherboards. One of them a P35 chipset the other a P45 chipset. The P35 chipset computer runs a Core 2 Duo and the P45, a Core 2 Quad.

The machine I am having problems with is the P45 machine. I know there were several reports with DPC Latency problems with the P35 boards... however mine never gave me any problems.... my P45 based computer however a different story....

I put the machine together for my Video/Audio Post Production studio along with my Firewire interface with Vista 64bit - right away I could hear the glitchs and drop outs in my Firewire Interface - so I bought a new TI Chipset Firewire PCI card... same thing... ok - I thought it must be the Audio Interface... bought a new Firewire audio interface, still same problem - well after two PCI Firewire cards and two Audio Interfaces I gave up and got a PCIe Audio Interface so get some projects done that needed to get done.

Well a year later... I am making upgrades to the studio and looking at a new Firewire interface.... before I purchase anything I wanted to try my old interface to see if maybe some updates to the OS or device drivers had fixed anything. Well nothing changed - same thing. I then started to look into this problem more now that I had some time. And that's when I discovered the DPC Latency issue. So I did a test with the Latency checker while playing some audio from my Audio Workstation... sure enough - clicks and pops (drop outs) when ever the Latency Checker had a spike - and there were lots of them.

I tore the machine down to the basics and check each device one at a time... nothing - thought maybe it was my Geforce 8600GT... changed it with my older Geforce from the P35 machine (that had no spikes with a Latency Checker). Still the P45 machine had spikes.

So I looked at other boards... and I read a lot of reports of similar issues on several boards from both Gigabyte and ASUS. After talking to a salesman he insured me that his recommended Gigabyte Mobo (GA-EP45-UD3R) had solved these DPC issues. So I took his word (my bad) and bought it... took it home replaced my board and loaded everything up and nothing had changed! Still the spikes in the checker and the drop outs in the audio.

With the first board that had the problems I was using a PCI (TI Chip) Firewire Card... this GA-EP45-UD3R has an onboard (TI Chip) Firewire port. But what I noticed is that the onboard one is connected to the PCI bus and not PCIe. So I am thinking that there is something wrong with the design of Gigabyte's PCI bus? Perhaps a lot of people are no longer using the good ole PCI for devices that require real time performance from things like streaming video/audio? Thus has not had any major issues being reported to them.

I am going to return this mobo I bought today (the specs are pretty much as the one I replaced it with) and pick up a PCIe Firewire card - hopefully that will fix the problem.

But for future upgrades - I am staying clear of Gigabyte!

Perhaps most people disagree... but I have owned several brands of mobos over the years... ASUS used to rule.. but not anymore - Gigabyte seem promising but still too many bugs for me... Intel - I know everybody thinks they are crap... but of the 3-4 boards of theirs I have used... NO issues.

Thanks for the ear (well eyes) for my rant.

Default Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Sup dude.
    Just wanted to check something with you.
    Have you tried a different CPU
    I have the UD3R and its an awesome mobo. Maybe try your core 2 duo in that pc, if it does then same so be it.But a mate had a similiar issue and it ended op being his cpu.

Just a thought!

Well that is one thing I could do that I have not done. The problem PC is a Q6600 - I will swap CPUs and see if that changes anything... I hope not! I would hate to have to change CPUs.

Well hope you come right.
    I am busy upgrading my other pc from a Q6600 to a Q9550 or Q9650, just depending on the money situation.
    But you will most def see a huge performance diff between chips!

Update:

Today I swapped every part... CPU, RAM, and even the PSU - no change.

So - that left the last component the HDD. The P45 machine (the one giving me the problems) has an older Hitachi SATA drive (80gb) with Vista 64 for the OS (other storage drives were not being connected during testing) and the P35 machine has a newer Hitachi SATA drive (500gb) with XP SP3. I swapped the HDD and booted the P45 into Windows XP ran the DPC tests and it was perfect!!! Well that does tell me that the Gigabyte mobo was not the problem (so I need to eat my original post's words LOL).

That leaves me with 3 possible things that I can think of that is causing the problem. 1) the older SATA Drive is hogging the bus, causing the DPC Spikes. 2) Windows Vista or 3) The Nvidia drivers (my XP install had an older version of the drivers installed).

I am thinking that it will be issue #1 - I will post back my findings.

Cheers!

Another update....

Installed XP and the same Nvidia drivers on the 'problem motherboard' and it was perfect yet again. So it appears to be something with Vista.... a poorly written driver built in to the OS perhaps....

Smile Re: I am done with Gigabyte!!

Quote Originally Posted by nopea View Post
    Another update....

Installed XP and the same Nvidia drivers on the 'problem motherboard' and it was perfect yet again. So it appears to be something with Vista.... a poorly written driver built in to the OS perhaps....
    Blame Vista if you like!

But I had many High DPC Latency issues using Win XP with a EP45-UD3P mobo. Caused a lot of video and sound issues, And was annoying even when just playing background music or watching built-in TV. No improvement with Vista or Win7 installation. Also didn't matter if using C2 dual or quad cpu types; or whether using on-board Audio or PCI audio card. After much fruitless discussion with Gigabyte tech, had the mobo replaced through RMA. DPC latency values were now not as high, but still occasionally annoying none the less. So obviously remained generally unhappy with the EP45-UD3P.

Have replaced the EP45-UD3P with a Asus P5Q-E and DPC Latency issues have become a thing of the past. Didn't even require a clean install, just took out the EP45 and replaced it with a P5Q-E then switched on. And currently very happy running a Q9550 @ 4Ghz.

;)
    Last edited by jimmor; 10-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know...

Good to hear!

I am not really blaming Vista... it appears to be a device driver somewhere in the mix. A driver for some piece of hardware did not cause problems in XP setup (and got no DPC spikes and audio played with no drop outs) causes problems in Vista. So I cannot blame the motherboard (as no drivers are installed for the board from Gigabyte - just the Windows's defaults and or Intel's Chipset INF).

I have tested EVERY piece of hardware and no change (works in XP not in Vista) I am doing a test on the HDD now to see if maybe the device driver in Vista for that HDD has issues.

In a nut shell - it appears to not be the fault of Gigabyte - but a device driver, and one that causes no DPC problems in XP - but does in Vista. Which device... I don't know... I have tested them all!!! On two diff. Gigabyte boards mind you.

Out of curiosity - I did a DPC Check on my wife's Compaq Vista Laptop - it had fairly high values - but they were consistent - no sudden spikes. So no I do not 'blame' Vista - but a Vista device driver.

I'll give you $10 for your EP45-UD3P if it's a 1.1 revision board.

Why would I do that? ;)

Well thats all of them - I have tested every piece of hardware on both XP and Vista.... XP no problems - Vista problems SIGH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information