Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Udma 7?

Default Re: Udma 7?

I'm not too surprised that they had problems with it. Call it the pessemist in me, but every other SSD manufacturer/reseller has had issues with bricked drives too. For example, JMicron have had an updated firmware available for OCZ Solid, Core and Core V2 for ages, but OCZ refuse to distribute it because of bricking fears and the fact RMA stock is limited now (those drives are EOL).

Currently, as JVM says, the only driver to successfully pass TRIM on any drive is the M$ one. All others have been tested, including IMSM, the beta, and also AMD/Marvel drivers (AMD uses marvel ports for RAID functionality etc).
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Do you understand how the SSD Toolbox works? I mean, if using Windows 7 with Microsoft AHCI storage driver, is it necessary to have Toolbox or run the Optimizer?

"When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction."

"Microsoft Windows* 7
    Microsoft* AHCI
    Native OS support (Intel® SSD Toolbox not required)"

By the way, I updated two Intel drives with the new firmware, and no problems.

For most purposes, under Windows 7 the manual run of SSD Optimizer shouldn't be necessary. The tool is more for XP and Vista users.

There have been cases where ATA-TRIM hasn't done exactly what it should, at least on OCZ Vertex drives. In some extreme cases, a manual resize of the boot partition has been necessary in order to force Win 7 to update the drives block allocation bitmap. After taking that step, run a manual TRIM and TRIM seemed to function normally again.

Basically:

• Windows 7 + MS AHCI or IDE driver = No need for SSD Optimizer
    • Windows 7 + Intel Matrix driver = Run SSD optimizer on a schedule (manual TRIM works fine with any driver)
    • Windows Vista + any driver = Run SSD Opt on a schedule
    • Windows XP + any driver = Run SSD Opt on a schedule

Note that it is also possible for the standard IDE MS driver to also pass the TRIM command under Windows 7. Performance under IDE mode takes quite a hit though, especially with random IOPS, so always use the AHCI driver (as you know already).
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    For most purposes, under Windows 7 the manual run of SSD Optimizer shouldn't be necessary. The tool is more for XP and Vista users.

There have been cases where ATA-TRIM hasn't done exactly what it should, at least on OCZ Vertex drives. In some extreme cases, a manual resize of the boot partition has been necessary in order to force Win 7 to update the drives block allocation bitmap. After taking that step, run a manual TRIM and TRIM seemed to function normally again.

Basically:

• Windows 7 + MS AHCI or IDE driver = No need for SSD Optimizer
    • Windows 7 + Intel Matrix driver = Run SSD optimizer on a schedule (manual TRIM works fine with any driver)
    • Windows Vista + any driver = Run SSD Opt on a schedule
    • Windows XP + any driver = Run SSD Opt on a schedule

Note that it is also possible for the standard IDE MS driver to also pass the TRIM command under Windows 7. Performance under IDE mode takes quite a hit though, especially with random IOPS, so always use the AHCI driver (as you know already).
    Very good, now that makes sense.

Do you think it's alright to run the firmware update, one that worked well on another SSD, on a new SSD that has only been formatted with no OS?

As we've now discovered, it is a little risky. Many articles have attributed the SSD failures to a drive not being zeroed before being flashed. this only effects drives when the read/write tables are being modified/replaced by the update, and the TRIM firmware does this.

I'd run a sanitary erase (HDDErase 3.3 in legacy IDE mode) first, then flash, followed by an OS install, then a manual run of TRIM. After that you should be good. The manual trim may not be needed, but is there in case ATA-TRIM fails to notice all the junk created by the OS install (as TRIM may not be able to function until the Win 7 install is completely done)..
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

As we've now discovered, it is a little risky. Many articles have attributed the SSD failures to a drive not being zeroed before being flashed. this only effects drives when the read/write tables are being modified/replaced by the update, and the TRIM firmware does this.

I'd run a sanitary erase (HDDErase 3.3 in legacy IDE mode) first, then flash, followed by an OS install, then a manual run of TRIM. After that you should be good. The manual trim may not be needed, but is there in case ATA-TRIM fails to notice all the junk created by the OS install (as TRIM may not be able to function until the Win 7 install is completely done)..
    I already ran the firmware update on two drives, one loaded with Windows 7 and the other initialzed and formatted in Vista with no data ever placed on it. There has not been any problem with either drive.

The firmware update for both drives was done in Windows 7.

Not zeroed? Are you saying never formatted? I just used Vista to format, no HDDerase, and the update is fine.

You asked if there was a risk, and if you should flash another drive. Just giving my opinion on what I would do to minimise the risk. Unless I misunderstood and this wasn't what you were asking?

Remember that just because two flashes have gone fine, it doesn't mean that the third will too.

A fully "zeroed" drive is one with no file system or partition, where either a mechanical disk has physically had zeroes written to the platters OR where a SSD has had the erase command issued to all flash blocks.

Intel Firmware update leaves some SSDs dead :: TweakTown
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

You asked if there was a risk, and if you should flash another drive. Just giving my opinion on what I would do to minimise the risk. Unless I misunderstood and this wasn't what you were asking?

Remember that just because two flashes have gone fine, it doesn't mean that the third will too.

A fully "zeroed" drive is one with no file system or partition, where either a mechanical disk has physically had zeroes written to the platters OR where a SSD has had the erase command issued to all flash blocks.

Intel Firmware update leaves some SSDs dead :: TweakTown
    Well, like I said, I flashed to a drive formatted in Vista and updated in Windows 7 without a problem, so I think the problem with firmware update lies somewhere else. If the firmware update was bad, all would be affected, which is not the case. There may be some compatibility issue somewhere. Where did you get this thing about zeroed drives?

In the link I posted to tweaktown, as well as several other places on the net.

Many others also flashed with a drive full of data. There's nothing from that fact that points to it being more a compatibility issue than a flasher issue though. The problem almost certainly lies with Intel's flasher program or the firmware itself.

Just as with any firmware update, hardware can be bricked for multiple reasons. Many cases where firmware or a flashing program were at fault have there been successes and failures with the update process. Incompatibility would point to the people with bricked drives having something in common hardware wise. There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern with regards to PC hardware configs and their Intel drive failures. AMD CPU's, AMD/Marvel SATA controllers, Intel SATA, NVidia SATA, Core 2/775, i5/i7, multiple BIOS revisions, doesn't look to me like there's much of a hardware link.

The 100% sure way would be just to wait until Intel release another version of the firmware.

Other than that, if someone's desperate to flash their drive, even if having a zeroed drive makes no difference, I'd zero it anyway, because there's no evidence that this isn't the cause of the problem. Zeroing isn't going to cause any harm in of itself.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information