Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Udma 7?

Default Re: Udma 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    In the link I posted to tweaktown, as well as several other places on the net.

Many others also flashed with a drive full of data. There's nothing from that fact that points to it being more a compatibility issue than a flasher issue though. The problem almost certainly lies with Intel's flasher program or the firmware itself.

Just as with any firmware update, hardware can be bricked for multiple reasons. Many cases where firmware or a flashing program were at fault have there been successes and failures with the update process. Incompatibility would point to the people with bricked drives having something in common hardware wise. There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern with regards to PC hardware configs and their Intel drive failures. AMD CPU's, AMD/Marvel SATA controllers, Intel SATA, NVidia SATA, Core 2/775, i5/i7, multiple BIOS revisions, doesn't look to me like there's much of a hardware link.

The 100% sure way would be just to wait until Intel release another version of the firmware.

Other than that, if someone's desperate to flash their drive, even if having a zeroed drive makes no difference, I'd zero it anyway, because there's no evidence that this isn't the cause of the problem. Zeroing isn't going to cause any harm in of itself.
    Well, I killed a drive by using HDDerase. After it gave me the choice to continue, I selected Y and it began the process with a flashing _

After three hours, and the hard drive light on, I felt that something was wrong so I rebooted and whammo, drive was dead. Now maybe I should have let HDDerase continue, but after 3 hours I thought that should be enough to erase a 160Gb drive. I have zeroed with Hitachi Feature Tool on a 160GB drive and it took much less than 3 hours. Unfortunately, Hitachi Feature will not work with Intel drives.

As we've now discovered, it is a little risky. Many articles have attributed the SSD failures to a drive not being zeroed before being flashed. this only effects drives when the read/write tables are being modified/replaced by the update, and the TRIM firmware does this.

I'd run a sanitary erase (HDDErase 3.3 in legacy IDE mode) first, then flash, followed by an OS install, then a manual run of TRIM. After that you should be good. The manual trim may not be needed, but is there in case ATA-TRIM fails to notice all the junk created by the OS install (as TRIM may not be able to function until the Win 7 install is completely done)..
    That is not the reason for firmware problem. As I said, I updated on a drive filled with OS and used for days before doing the firmware update.

Bear in mind that zeroing a SSD and zeroing a HDD are both two radically different things.

Using the same HDDErase program, a mechanical HDD will be instructed to physically set each and every sector of every single track to a magnetic value corresponding to zero. I'm sure it is possible that things could go wrong. We're dealing with a physical spinning disk I suppose and volatile magnetic material. One hickup or error by the drives controller and, as happened to you, you could have a dead drive. Possibly interrupting the process caused the drive to die. If the multi pass siper secure option was selected then on a 160GB drive it could take absolutely ages.

With a SSD, the same command issued with HDDErase merely executes a block erase, which takes hardly any time at all. This is the same block erase that takes place on a block when more data is added to said block, in real world usage. The process is completely harmless.

That is not the reason for firmware problem. As I said, I updated on a drive filled with OS and used for days before doing the firmware update.
    Like I said, that means absolutely nothing. People who got bricked drives also updated a drive that had an OS on it, and their drives are dead.

With respect, there is no way that you can state with any certainty that having a zeroed drive would not have prevented their drives from breaking. I nor Tweaktown was saying that zeroing the drive will 100% stop bricked drives. Zeroing may not have anything to do with preventing broken flashes, but it IS a possibility. The fact that you flashed OK with a non zeroed drive doesn't change that in the slightest.

If, from the tool released yesterday, there is a chance of a failed flash, and there is, then all that can be said from you having a successful flash, at the moment, is that you got lucky.

Seems that more people got lucky than got unlucky that run the update. At the moment that's all anyone knows for certain.

One thing that is certain is that we have no way of knowing if someone with a dead drive had zeroed it first, what would have happened. it could still have broken, or it could have worked. Zeroing is a theory only.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I used HDDerase on a 160Gb SSD and selected secure erase--and it ran for 3 hours! Are you saying it should take over 3 hours or less than an hour?

For the standard single pass, then 20min-1 hour depending on capacity should complete the run. It does depend on the drives speed though and OFC capacity. The HDDErase documentation doesn't state exact figures, just guidelines. If the second option is chosen, I believe this performs a 35 pass wipe, which could potentially take all night, or maybe longer.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

For the standard single pass, then 20min-1 hour depending on capacity should complete the run. It does depend on the drives speed though and OFC capacity. The HDDErase documentation doesn't state exact figures, just guidelines. If the second option is chosen, I believe this performs a 35 pass wipe, which could potentially take all night, or maybe longer.
    What second option, enhanced secure erase? I selected secure erase. I saw only two options, secure and enhanced secure. 160GB SSD and after 3 hours it was still going with flashing _ and I rebooted and killed the drive.

What is this single pass selection?

I thought you meant the 160Gb drive you killed was a magnetic drive.

HDDErase takes seconds on a SSD. Each block erase takes ~2ms. If the drive died then it was probably bad luck, unless there was a known issue with that drives controller or firmware.

For the record, a single pass secure erase with HDDErase 3.3 takes 30 seconds to complete on my drive.

Also who knows what issues may arrise if you don't set the controller to legacy IDE mode first. I boot to DOS with a USB stick to secure erase, but if using a CDROM drive maybe there's a requirement to have the CD drive on a certain channel. I know that the Intel flash tool failed to flash my drive with the DVD drive on the seperate JMicron controller. Maybe HDDErase acts in a similar way.

Honestly, there's no way to really tell why HDDErase killed a 160GB SSD, but there aren't any other reports of it doing so, so I assume it's an isolated incident. Anandtech even include a secure erase with HDDErase in their SSD guide. AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

I thought you meant the 160Gb drive you killed was a magnetic drive.

HDDErase takes seconds on a SSD. Each block erase takes ~2ms. If the drive died then it was probably bad luck, unless there was a known issue with that drives controller or firmware.

For the record, a single pass secure erase with HDDErase 3.3 takes 30 seconds to complete on my drive.

Also who knows what issues may arrise if you don't set the controller to legacy IDE mode first. I boot to DOS with a USB stick to secure erase, but if using a CDROM drive maybe there's a requirement to have the CD drive on a certain channel. I know that the Intel flash tool failed to flash my drive with the DVD drive on the seperate JMicron controller. Maybe HDDErase acts in a similar way.

Honestly, there's no way to really tell why HDDErase killed a 160GB SSD, but there aren't any other reports of it doing so, so I assume it's an isolated incident. Anandtech even include a secure erase with HDDErase in their SSD guide. AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ
    I used a floppy and set BIOS to legacy IDE and took it off AHCI and set it to disabled. I don't know what went wrong, but I sure don't want to use HDDerase again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I use (SE) Sanitary Erase, the actual program called that not HDDErase, and it only takes 2-3 seconds for a drive to be completely reset.

You can get that in a sticky at OCZ forum, or Pm me if you need the link

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I use (SE) Sanitary Erase, the actual program called that not HDDErase, and it only takes 2-3 seconds for a drive to be completely reset.

You can get that in a sticky at OCZ forum, or Pm me if you need the link
    Does it work for Intel SSD? Do you know if it supports 64-bit Windows?
    Last edited by JVM; 10-30-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information