Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Default Re: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Thx, guys. You conviced me not to be affraid to go to ~1.4 V if only temporarily - to see where I can get.

I don't have time to mess around with OC atm, but I'll get back to it soon. Hopefully, F9 final BIOS will be out by then.

Just a note: you all seem to advise to rather raise Bclk that CPU ratio to get more performance. Well, I may have some news for you. LinX is built on Intel's CPU benchmark called linpack. You can clearly see floating point operations per second (Flop) after each test run.

Long story short, with my current setting (31*133 CPU, 24*133 QPI+Uncore, 133*12 RAM; 1.3125 Vcore, 1.3 VTT) I get 60-61 Gflops.
    With similar setting (26*160, 24*160+24*160, 10*160; 1.3125, 1.3) I only get 56-58 GFlops...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I am using 1.39 Actual for 4.2 right now, and if I went 4.3+ I would suspect I would need 1.4+ actual as well, no biggie just watch your temps

Higher Bclk will increase performance much more than higher CPU multi, High CPU multi's only really help when you are trying to push 5-6Ghz. Gflops also depend on how you have your memory and QPI/Uncore setup, voltages, how LinX is setup (Problem size/memory used), and other things as well.

Test using Winrar benchmark or everest and you will see higher Blck is better

I do see what you mean as I use LinX myself, but based on many other benchmarks and previous knowledge I know higher FSB/Base Clock is best

still no luck guys

we're now at F9m BIOS, new option dynamic voltage but I still can't get stable 4 GHz overclock.

My current settings are:
    31*133 CPU, 24*133 QPI+Uncore, 133*12 RAM

Normal (1.293) + 0.0475 dynamic CPU voltage
    VTT 1.34
    QPI/PLL 1.88
    the rest 1.26-1.28
    RAM default XMP

I don't want to hit 1.3 with the other voltages, nor get over 1.88 and CPU not over 1.36 (1.36 VTT also flashes red in BIOS, so 1.34 is max)

It runs just fine in prime95 x64 (four hours of FFT in place 128-1024 kB) but in linx problem size 25000 i get error within first 10 runs

Test out the RAM more thoroughly.

Do you have the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D kit? I couldnt get mine to run at rated speeds and apparently its a common problem (with version 3.1 of the ram). It may be that its unstable and that could be causing LinX errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins
    Pro tip: don't piss off PC gamers on purpose

yop, my HW is still the same like I mentioned in post #1

what are you saying then? that the RAM sticks can't keep up with the XMP profile they set up for them? that's kind of scam, I'd say...

I was also thinking what was causing the problem - as raising voltage didn't seem to get rid of the linx errors yet prime95 was good it, too, made me think it had to be the RAM sticks, not the CPU.

So what do you think I should do: raise timings manually, put more than 1.65V in them, RMA...?

Have you tried Prime95 Large FFT? Run it with the following custom settings.

It stresses the IMC/RAM the most. If it reboots, the memory is not stable. At that point I would RMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins
    Pro tip: don't piss off PC gamers on purpose

3 hours and zip

...and the game is up!

The bottleneck's really RAM. I increased timings manually to 8-9-9-24-2N (SPD: 8-8-8-24-2N @1.65V XMP) and it became stable again.

This reminds me a situation from about 5 years ago - when we tried to convince ppl not to use memtest as it could claim a system stable while prime would prove otherwise within 10 minutes.

It's the same situation now, once again prime95 (25.11.2) has proved faulty. This wasn't the first time prime wouldn't give me any errors when linx would within first few runs...

However, the problem remains as I'm still unable to reach a stable 4.2 GHz overclocking no matter what. 31*133 is still the rock solid top for me. I wish Gigabyte would hurry with them BIOS' ...I mean the last stable version is from May '09

It seems the 10 months worth of development and testing payed off. The F9 final BIOS really improved stability.

Current settings:

CPU: 31*136
    QPI: 24*136
    Uncore: 24*136

Code:
    Performance Enhance: Turbo
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Profile1
    System Memory Multiplier: 12
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Quick
    CAS Latency Time: 8
    tRCD: 8
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24
    Command Rate: 2N
    ...the rest of sub-timings are on AUTO

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
    CPU Vcore: Default (1.29375)
    Dynamic Overclock: +0.06875
    QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.34
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    QPI PLL: 1.22
    IOH Core: 1.28
    IOH I/O: AUTO
    ICH Core: 1.18
    ...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO
    ...this absolutely wasn't stable with any of the F9beta versions. GG, Gigabyte

EDIT: I'm very happy with this because I have achieved 1 GHz overclock (3200 MHz --> 4216 MHz), which was my goal, and now I'm only gonna work my way down with voltages. I don't really think Vcore needs to be at 1.36, nor VTT at 1.34...
    Last edited by bossque; 02-05-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information