Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Default pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Hi, this is my first post here so be nice

My setup is pretty obvious from the pictures below, but for the record:
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (original BIOS F7, currently F9e)
    Intel Xeon W3570 (default 24*133 MHz, Vcore 1.225 V)
    CoolerMaster V8
    3x 2048 MB TrippleChannel Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24-2T
    Corsair HX850

Okay, here is the story: I must confess a bit disappointed with my current OC, seeing as many ppl with i7 920 which is only 2660 MHz often manage 1.5 GHz overclock or more, whereas I've got a 3200 MHz workstation CPU and don't seem to be able to do even a 1 GHz overclock. So here I am, all ears for any nifty suggestion you might have that would help me tweak my CPU a little further

For starters, here's my status quo followed by BIOS settings with which I achieved this:

And a little RAM info:

Some M.I.T. settings that are not obvious from above:
    Code:
    Turbo Boost: Disabled
    CPU Cores Enabled: All
    CPU Multi-Threading: Disabled (I disabled this because it lowers performance by 10 GFlops, increases power consumption by 30 W and therefore core temps by 5-7 C)
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2: Enabled
    CPU EIST Function: Disabled
    Virtualization Technology: Enabled
    Bit-Directional Prochot: Enabled
    Code:
    BaseClock (BCLK) Control: Disabled
    PCI Express Frequency: Auto
    C.I.A. 2: Disabled
    CPU Clock Drive: 800 mV
    PCI Espress Clock Drive: 900 mV
    CPU Clock Skew: 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew: 0ps
    Code:
    Performance Enhance: Turbo
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Profile1
    System Memory Multiplier: 12
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Quick
    CAS Latency Time: 8
    tRCD: 8
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24
    Command Rate: 2N
    ...the rest of sub-timings are on AUTO
    Code:
    Load-Line Calibration: Disabled (I'm not sure what this does - the manual isn't clear)
    CPU Vcore: 1.3125
    QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.300
    CPU PLL: 1.840
    PCIE: AUTO
    QPI PLL: 1.180
    IOH Core: 1.160
    IOH I/O: AUTO
    ICH Core: 1.140
    ...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO
    The problem is, I can't get any higher. 133*32 will give me error in LinX, just as 136*31 will give error in LinX (both times even with Vcore 1.350 and QPI/Vtt 1.320 and Memory Enhance on Standard).

I dare not go any higher as intel specs say the max safe voltage for nehalem extreme is 1.3625 and for VTT it is 1.355 V. I'm not even convinced QPI/Vtt 1.300 V is safe for 24/7...? Raising IOH and ICH Voltages to 1.240 or beyond does not help either. And what is more even if I raise Bclk by just one to e.g. 134*24 BIOS automatically raises RAM sub-timings (e.g. tRFC from 88 to 90, which is something I don't appreciate).

I have also tried to lower Memory Multiplier to 10 and raisng Bclk to 160 so I would again get 1600 MHz. To make it stable I had to lowe Uncore Multiplier to 22 (QPI on default 24*160) and then it would be stable, but again with raised sub-timings so again a no-go...

I'm really lost at what to try next? Perhaps wait for F9 final BIOS? If it does make any difference, I have no idea as this is my first Gigabyte MoBo and with my previous DFI, there was no such thing as beta BIOS. Just to make myself clear, I don't mind RAM running on default - not just because I saved money when purchasing XMS3 over Dominator - but because I prefer lower timings to higher clocks and in any case, from my previous experience, overclocked RAM sticks tend to heat too much and sometimes cause instability (altho, this is my first Intel CPU in this millennium after a long series of Opterons).

So what I want to say is, I just would like to push my Xeon a bit higher as there is still some room for higher temperatures with my CoolerMaster V8 seeing as I don't get even 80 with LinX (i.e. not even 70 in real world applications) and I don't care about memory clock whatsoever.

Well, I do hope I didn't make it too long to read, but I wanted to avoid unnecessary questions.

PS: I marked the voltage in those screens for a reason - as stated before, I set it to 1.31250 V. While PC Health Status in BIOS reads 1.3000 V, CPU-Z reads 1.280 idle and 1.264 in load. Is this normal?

SolidBladez is offline Member

Default Re: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Try fixing these settings:

Virtualization Technology: Disabled
    PCI Express Frequency: 100
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier: 12
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert (then make sure you manually set the ram timings for all three sticks)
    CAS Latency Time: 8
    tRCD: 8
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24
    Command Rate: 1N (are your sticks actually rated at 2 CR?)
    Oh, and this might be your actual problem:

...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO
    Set your memory voltage to what they are rated at. If 1.65V, then select 1.66V in the BIOS and ignore the message saying that your are going above Intel's 1.65V recommended voltage.. yada yada..

Quote Originally Posted by bossque View Post

PS: I marked the voltage in those screens for a reason - as stated before, I set it to 1.31250 V. While PC Health Status in BIOS reads 1.3000 V, CPU-Z reads 1.280 idle and 1.264 in load. Is this normal?
    Yup that is normal. It is often referred to as vDroop. A lengthy article helps explain in technical terms but basically it means that the voltage you see in Windows isn't the same that you set in the BIOS. And yes it is normal.

If you set LLC to Enabled, you will see less vDroop with your vCore during load.
    Last edited by SolidBladez; 10-11-2009 at 12:11 AM.

You may also get better results with a more balanced BCLK and multi, for instance try a 166 BCLK and a 25 multi, etc.

I also wouldn't automatically expect the same % overclock as a D0 920 even on a Xeon. All D0 i7's will have an upper ceiling that's generally the same. Higher priced/binned parts may achieve higher speeds, but maybe not by much.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks for those quick replies.

Why would I want to disable Virtualization Technology? I use/need XP mode...

PCI-E to 100 MHz - isn't that default?

And why should I disable XMP and then set everything manually to those exact same values? My sticks now run on 1.65V which is its default and I really dont like to go over it. Yes, there is only 1.64 and 1.66 manual setting in BIOS otherwise.

As for the Command Rate, it says in SPD they're 2N (or 2T, whatever). 2N is worse than 1N right? So it wouldn't really help to stability to set it to 1N, would it?

What about the Load-Line Calibration - shall I leave it disabled?

SolidBladez is offline Member

Usually we say to disable VT when overclocking until you find your stable clocks. Then you can enable it.

PCI-e isn't always set to 100 MHz by default. I remember when overclocking on my EP45-UD3P that it would raise ever so slightly. So you might want to just key it in at 100. ;)

Usually XMP does set the correct settings. But when overclocking it might set an incorrect timing and therefore screw up your overclock.

On the sticks themselves, what are they rated at? Most triple channel kits are rated at 1N command rate.

Leave LLC enabled as it will help minimize your vDroop during stability testing.

okay, I'll try with these settings tomorrow. just one more thing - give me a quick tutorial about voltages pls

Voltages are very temperature dependent. Also, Intel is VERY conservative with the voltages they recommend.

I've sent 1.6V through my i7 to help me get to 4.7 for some fun SuperPi benching.

However, 1.50V is my personal max for 24/7 voltage.

Really the voltage you choose depends on how long you choose to keep this processor. Intel specifies 1.3625V for 20 years of use. If you honestly plan to use your processor until 2029, then I wouldn't take it much above that.

I try to keep my temperatures under 75C load unless I'm benching. My 4.3GHz OC takes 1.475V in the BIOS, which yields around 1.43V in CPU-Z. While some degradation may occur, I'd be surprised if this chip didn't last 10 years.

The reason people are able to get 5.2GHz clocks on LN2 and Dice (liquid nitrogen and dry ice) is because the chips are cold enough that it is "safe" to send more voltage through them without killing the chips. While it would be wonderful if this temperature/voltage curve was documented somewhere, I don't believe that it is.

The unlocked multiplier is best applied in extreme cooling situations. What it allows you to do is raise the clock of the processor independent of the other components of the system, such as memory and BCLK. This way you are not limited by anything but the processor itself when trying to reach clocks of 4.5GHz and beyond.

For example, when I'm doing high voltage benching runs to put some numbers up for HWBot, using the 21x multiplier for 4.7GHz, I need a 224 BCLK. Luckily for me, that isn't an issue with my board. However, I've heard that other boards have difficulty booting at over 220 BCLK.

Anyways, my post contained lots of rambling, but I hope some of it was helpful!
    A Table!
    i7 950
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
    6GB STT Hypers 2133 8-8-8 21
    MSI GTX 470 GE
    Corsair HX1000
    SS or Dice/MW80/MCP655 Vario/MCR 320

Yeah, it was helpful. E.g., I didn't know the 1.3625 was considered max for 20 years MTBF. Actually, 1.3625 is supposed to be max for 940/950/960/965/975. For 920 it's 1.3750. (So I only assume mine is 1.3625)

Anyway, I don't expect to keep it for more than 5 years so I guess could go even up to 1.400 (bearing in mind my PC runs 24/7 in about 300 days per year, tho it's usage is mostly <10%)

But I was kinda hoping someone would mention the other voltages: IOH Core, ICH Core, IOH I/O, PCIE, QPI PLL, CPU PLL, and especially QPI/VTT.

This is the guide I used for my 920. Obviously yours will probably be a little different since you can scale better with your multipliers, but voltages should be similar.

Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

For 4.3GHz, I used the voltages and got the clock to about 4.2GHz before I had to start adjusting. I raised everything a little then started testing for stability. When I decided it was stable, I would lower a certain voltage. If it was stable, I'd try again until it wasn't.
    A Table!
    i7 950
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
    6GB STT Hypers 2133 8-8-8 21
    MSI GTX 470 GE
    Corsair HX1000
    SS or Dice/MW80/MCP655 Vario/MCR 320

So I've tried what you guys suggested: Virtualization (Dis), LLC (En.), XMP (Dis.) + manual RAM timings, PCI-E Frequency (100)...

I tried both 133*32 and 166*26 (and similar). I even raised voltages to 1.26 (IOH, ICH...), 1.38125 (Vcore), 1.36 (VTT) and 1.66 (RAM).

In the process, I even tried the latest F9h BIOS, but that beta is a broke.

Well, nothing seems to be able to get me over 4200 MHz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information