Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Creating a RAID1

Default Creating a RAID1

I just switched from an ASUS P5Q Turbo (did not like that board) back to my familiar GA-EP45-UD3P. On the Asus system, like the Gigabyte, they have a number of RAID controllers. I was using the ASUS controller that allowed you to add a drive with data, then add a second drive at which time the software would take care of creating the RAID1 and continue with actually doing the mirroring process without any data loss. That was cool. BTW, I booted off that RAID1 pair.

Now I'd like to do the same thing with the Gigabyte board and the Gigabyte controller. At this point in time I have NO way (read I'm beyond poverty) to back up my precious data. I only have one drive connected right now into the SATA_0 port of the Gigabyte controller and all is ok. The WD 250GB drive has dual boot XPx64 with Windows 7 RC. The Windows 7 I don't care about. My brother is giving me a for real Windows 7 Professional on Oct 22nd from the Microsoft store. He has money, I don't. So it has a nice ability to dual boot, but now when I bring up Win 7 it does a speed of light BSOD. But the XP x64 came up just fine. Guess I'm going to have to get my hands dirty with BCDEDIT. I was also able to add all the drivers from the Gigabyte install disc to the XP partition.

All this aside. Can I recreate my RAID1 WITHOUT destroying any data? If so, a hint please on the procedure. This ability was advertised as built into the ASUS board. I'm not seeing that ability on the Gigabyte. i.e. I can create a RAID1 but both drives will lose their data...not good. Oh, I have no reason to use the Intel Matrix at this time. When I save enough money, months from now, I want to put together a RAID 5 with 3 750GB drives, and continue to use the Gigabyte controller to boot using the 250GB RAID1 array. If the answer is a no, I'll install my other 250GB drive as a disk that is not part of a RAID using the Intel Matrix controller on the SB and back up essential data to it. My preference is very much the RAID 1 approach.

Any help GREATLY appreciated. BTW, am running an ancient E6420 at 3.2GHz. I just love the Gigabyte board!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Creating a RAID1

I am not sure if the Gigabyte controller will do that, you can try. Install your OS and then install the Gigabyte software and try it out, you should have an option to rebuild array either in the software or the Gigabyte RAID ROM

I suggest Vistabootpro if you are having issues with dual boots, but you should not really unless you install XP after Vista/Windows 7

I know for sure the Intel controller will do that, not sure about the Gigabyte one... But really since they both do RAID 1 it should be possible and may even be automatically done. You will just need to plug them in and see

Just so you know, in case you did not, you can have the Intel controller set to RAID and have non member disks connected to it. So you do not have to use the Gigabyte ports at all really, unless you want to that is

Well good news. When I first connected one 250GB drive with all the data on it to the Gigabyte controller, it complained bitterly (red letter messages) that the raid pair was messed up and needed to be repaired. I ignored all that and brought up Win XP Pro x64 and installed all the Gigabyte drivers. Then rebooted after adding the second drive to the Gigabyte controller. Went into the Gigabyte controller software and it asked if I wanted to repair the mirror to which I answered...heck yes. An hour later, I had a fully functional RAID1 with no data loss. YEA!

Thanks LSDmeasap for things to consider. One thing that REALLY came in handy. At the end of this whole process, I wanted to dump the Windows 7 RC to get ready for Win 7 Pro next week. But there was that dual boot thing with Win XP and Win 7. Found this trick. (a side note...from the moment I got the Win 7 RC disc, I had planned to fully erase the Windows 7 RC from my system and start afresh...playing it perfectly safe, both from experience and from Microsoft advice)

AGAIN, let me make this clear. This process assumes you have Windows XP and Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration on your system and you want to rid yourself of Windows 7.

1. Boot into Windows XP and bring up the command prompt.

2. Run the following command with your Windows 7 install disc in the DVD drive (in my case drive "Y") at the C prompt:

Y:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

There should be a space between exe and /nt52. Another space between /nt52 and ALL and finally a space between ALL and /force.
    I followed this command, including the spacing and capitalization EXACTLY. This is a gulp moment and would always advise a FULL system backup first!!!

3. Reboot the system which boots right into Windows XP.

4. In the XP root directory, erase two files: Boot.BAK and BootSect.BAK They are no longer needed.

5. Format the partition where Windows 7 was installed and you are back to a place before you ever installed Windows 7. This should go without saying, but make sure you don't have anything of value in the partition before you format it.

Anything you do beyond this is your doing. This gets rid of Windows 7 (or Vista though can't vouch for that) and leaves the Windows XP that was already on the machine. It also prepares the system for re-adding Windows 7 and letting Windows 7 reinstall a dual-boot menu for XP and Win7. Life is good.

You may already be aware of this but I though I'd mention it anyway.
    If XP can see the Windows 7 partition, while XP is running, it will effectively delete the Windows 7 restore points. The attached article from Microsoft shows how to keep that from happening.

No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008-based operating systems in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
    Intel Xeon E5-2670
    Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
    64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
    EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
    Thermaltake Armor+
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
    4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
    7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
    Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
    ASUS RT-AC68U router
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to hear Old Geek!!

As for your trick with dual boot menus, you can also use BCDedit or VistaBootPro to remove the dupes or add/change labels/OS in the Dual boot menu

Thread Information