Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Extremely high CPU Fan RPM, HELP

Question Extremely high CPU Fan RPM, HELP

I just built a system using the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P board with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU with stock a stock fan. The CPU fan is extremely loud and spinning at about 6500 RPM with a CPU temp of only 50*C. This is much faster and louder then a similar system that I built last month which would spin the fan at only 3300 RPM at 50*C using a Phenom II X4 955 CPU.

What is causing the fan to spin so fast? Is this a fan problem or a mother board problem. The CPU temps are normal so the fan should not be commanded to increase RPM so dramatically.

In the BIOS of both systems, I have "Smart Fan Control" enabled and set to AUTO.

Default Re: Extremely high CPU Fan RPM, HELP

Go into the BIOS under PC health status and see what the fan control status and mode are set to. You may fix this by changing a setting. You may also have to bring those temps down with some better thermal paste. I would also check to make sure the heatsink is secure. I'm sure you have but I had to throw it in there.
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
    2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Smile Re: Extremely high CPU Fan RPM, HELP

I went to Fry's Electronics to return the CPU/Fan for an even exchange which they told me on the phone, they would do. However, when I got there they told me that they were out of the Phenom II X4 965 and will not be getting any more in as they no longer carry it (Strange, since it's so new).

I ended up buying a Zalman CNPS9500A LED for $40. I installed it. It runs at 2600 RPM when I bring the CPU temp up to 50*C (using Prime 95) and I can barely hear it. It is much quieter than the defective stock one that I replaced.

It sucks that I had to spend $40 to replace a defective part that I bought 6 days ago, but at least I got a much better CPU fan.

Thread Information