Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P and GSkill

Default Re: EP45-UD3P and GSkill

It's not unusual for people to have a bit of trouble getting 8Gb to work.
    Similar with four sticks of any ram. It is often recommended to install Windows with two, and then try all four. Some sticks just want more mch, and are ok. Some want less aggressive timings as well.

If memtest passes all sticks then:

When 8GB are installed, do they show as 8GB in Windows?
    Does the computer boot, now that Windows is installed, if ram is only installed in slot 1 & 3? If it wont, there may be a slot defect.

If it boots for slots 1 & 3 only, and shows 8GB in Windows if ram is all installed, then the problem is finding stable settings, as per Acebmxer reply above.

Don't know how useful it is, but Windows Debugger can read dump files.

Hope it all sorts out.
    Last edited by Salty; 10-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.

CPU
    =
    i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
    Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
    - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
    Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
    , BIOS Version = Award FC
    Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
    Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
    Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
    PSU = Corsair HX850
    OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Hi

I changed the M.I.T setting and I booted to vista with no problems. But I still get the blue screen mem errors.

I ran the memtest86 with 4 sticks in for 3 passes (about 4hrs) and no errors.

As it stands right now, The GSkill tech says my ram will work, but they admit vista will not install on slots 1 or 1 and 3, and that it has to be installed on 2 and 4. Can vista be installed on slots 2 and 4 correctly??

This may be the root of the problem.

I have a RMA to return 2 sticks to Newegg for a refund. I don't know if I will get the $$ back from GSkill for the other 2 sticks, but I am sure going to try..STILL HAVE MY FEEDBACK TO LEAVE ON NEWEGG.

I have not seen anywhere searching all the forums that there was ever a successful vista64bit install with this Mobo and gskill ram (8 gigs). All I seen was problems.

I plan on getting the Corsair 4X2gbs module pin# CM2X2048-8500C5D
    There are only 1 or 2 others gigabyte recommends. I have to try to contact gigabyte to see if mobo will support the 8gigs of ram.

Is there anyway to telephone their support???? I takes about a week to get an answer on the internet support..
    Last edited by jojo68; 10-21-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: edit

If you've got ram working in 2 slots, you can install os.

I was building this PC for my grandson for his games
    JoJo, if you are building this for games, you don't need 8GB of ram. That much ram is for things like cad, video encoding, 3D animation and art apps (ZBrush, 3ds Max, etc.) Only ram hungry applications like those justify the effort 8GB might be.

I don't know of a game that needs that much ram. Cash in half the ram and get better videocard or two instead? Makes more difference to games.

8GB RAM is unnecessary for almost 90% of all computer users.Don't think ram will make your computer any faster. 4GB is probably the sweet-spot and even that is overkill for most. Remember you will need a 64 bit operating system to utilize the 8GB.
    Getting 8GB to work together may be a long process, as you have read in other posts.
    Last edited by Salty; 10-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.

CPU
    =
    i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
    Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
    - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
    Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
    , BIOS Version = Award FC
    Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
    Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
    Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
    PSU = Corsair HX850
    OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Computer specs.
    Vista 64 bit Home edition service pack 1
    Case: Antec Sonata 3
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W
    Intel Core2 Quad 9550 2.83GHs LGA 775 95W
    Gigabite EP45-UD3P Motherboard F8 rev 1.6
    G.SKILL Model F2-8500CL5D-4X2 GBPK (8GB total) Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    WD 1TB HD
    Zalman CNP 9500 Cooling Fan
    GeForce GTX 260 Video Card ( superclocked)
    Samsung 22X DVD+R
    LG Network Blue-ray Player

Last night I posted that I thought that it was just an incompatibility with the Mobo and the ram. Because that was all I heard on different forums. But when you think of it, people only post on these forums with problems and not with successful installs. I went to the newegg website and looked at most of all the feedbacks (a few hundred) for my mobo(Gigabyte EP45-UD3P). There are plenty people there used my ram and mobo and had successful installs. I have done so many memtest86 the last few weeks, I think I am wearing out the disk.!
    I am now coming to the conclusion that it was the way windows was installed and the problem " lies on me "
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    What I want to do is reinstall <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Vista</st1:place> 64bit and see if I get it right this time. But I would like to go thru a list of questions first so I don't end up with the same problems again..

I guess I would do a clean install
    <o:p></o:p>
    1... I have my HD disk utilities (Western Digital) and I will format it to all zeroes
    2.... After the disk is formatted and before I install vista :
    Should I reset the bios?
    Do I have to "load to "Optimized Defaults"?
    I am pretty sure that I have to go into the bios M.I.T and make changes there etc. What are they???
    I think this might have been a problem before because I did not make changes
    and the voltage should have been manually set to 2.1. I think the GSkill mem will not run on auto.
    3... Before I install vista should I use 2gb of mem or 4gb and what slots?? Because I could not get them to install in slots 1 and 3 the last time and had to use slots 2 and 4

And because of this problem I sent the mem and the mobo back to Newegg on an exchange

I know I did not get the same ones back because I marked them with a dot.
    But the second time around I ended up with the same problems anyway. Now I am thinking that the bios should have been edited to GSkill spec. before installing <st1:place>Vista</st1:place>.
    And if I can get this installed correctly I am only going to run it on 4gb of mem.
    From what I heard this will make it run more stable..
    As you can see, I need all the help I can get.. But please try to answer all the questions and make them as simple as possible. I am not a wiz at this.
    Thanks

GSkill just support just contacted me and said to keep the same settings
    in the bios..

And to install the memory in slots 2 and 4 and not 1 and 3. Does this sound right to you??

I don't think he read anything I sad. (I posted the same post on the Gskill forum as I posted above).

If you get a failed install with using slots 1 &3, did memtest86+ V4.00 detect any problems with any sticks when using those slots. If yes, and all the RAM passes cleanly in slots 2 & 4 then your board is at fault and I recommend an RMA.

Version 1.6 boards have been known to cause issues, but in general (at least for 1.0 and 1.1 boards) that GSkill is highly compatible.

8GB of RAM is certainly overkill for gaming. Most game processes are still 32 bit and can't actually address more than 2GB any way. Having 4Gb of ram ensures there is the maximum 2GB addressable RAM available to any given game. 2GB of physical RAM is not enough as the OS etc would take chunks out of it.

To install using slots 2 & 4, install all 4Gb and enter the BIOS. Load Optimized Defaults, then save and exit. Re enter the BIOS and go to the MIT section. Turn off any "XMP" entry if it's visible and set the primary timings manually to the specs of your RAM (5-5-5-15). Also set the RAM voltage to the maximum written on the module (2.1V for your kit)

Check that The RAM speed reading is saying 1066 or very close to it. If it is you're set. Any problems with the Vista install or stability you may have to go back and set RAM multi's manually. Forget about that for now though. The target atm is to get a bootable, functioning system, and auto settings should work for that current goal. You aren't over clocking, so auto voltages will be perfectly safe.

If your grandson seems disappointed at "only" having 4GB, explain that it's more than enough and by the time gaming requires more the PC will be old and probably ready for replacement again. Or you could do what I do with ungrateful children... I'd take a stick out, stir my tea with it and say "You've only got 2GB now!"
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Not to sound to dumb, but what is the XMP entry? and where do I find this??
    I really don't think it is the mobo.
    As I said before this is the second set of mobo and ram.
    I know I did not get the same set back because I marked them.

I have the same mobo (ver 1.6) and 4Gb of the same RAM. I have Vista32.

I had a large number of problems when first building this machine. It took a while, but I finally traced them all to Slot 3. If I had a stick of RAM there, I got blue screens. If that slot was empty everything worked fine. I did not have to do any tweaking at all to get it stable, I just had to keep that slot empty. So long as I use Slots 2 and 4, everything seems to be OK. I have not had the time to do the tweaking on my own yet, but ET6 has me at 3.6Ghz and runs the hourlong version of OCCT with no trouble and OK temps.

I think your idea of zeroing the drive and reinstalling is a good one. I also think gSkill's suggestion to use slots 2 and 4 is sound. I defer to the experts here on what settings to use.
    MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6, FB Bios
    RAM - G.SKILL(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (F2-8500CL5D)
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz (currently at 450 x 9 w/ ~31C Idle and 60C @ Full Load) - Zalman 9700 cooler
    GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD (no OC) Zalman VF2000 cooler (27C idle)
    HDs - OCZ 60G SSD boot drive - WD Caviar Black - WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 - 1 TB; Maxtor 6L200S0 (200G) (Both SATA)
    DVD-ROMs - Plextor PX-880SA - (SATA Burners)(2)
    Sound - Omega HT Claro via Monsoon Speakers
    PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W
    CASE - Antec 300 (Scythe Fans)
    Windows 7 64bit - Home Premium

Yes,
    After I read on. I think everyone spoils their grandkids alittle. But with OUR children, 3 of them, I carried a stick and it was a big one. But there has been changes in school etc.
    Parents are not allowed to bring their children the same way I was, and my kids because they would be arrested.. But there is one of many things I learned from my parents and my children from us, was LOVE AND RESPECT. Children today have lost this.

If there is no XMP entry in your BIOS, that's fine. It will be in the MIT section near the Main RAM settings if present. It's a supposedly more advanced way of letting your board and RAM auto configure themselves, and includes primary and advanced timings as well as automatically setting the right RAM voltage.

whovous is right, if 2&4 work OK, then sticking with that (especially as this is your second board) is likely essential, and fine to do.

Hopefully your grandchild will appreciate what you're doing and give you the love and respect due. Having his Grandad build him a gaming rig is pretty darn cool if you ask me. Both my Grandads (God rest) couldn't even work a VCR, and were mystified by these weird new "shiny musical discs".
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information