Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help me Wipeout Intel SSD with HDDerase

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Help me Wipeout Intel SSD with HDDerase

Waz going on fellow SSD users? I suggest Sanitary Erase instead :)

Thanks for the suggestion LSD. You know i got other problems that require attention... You too Psycho, that Meat feast pizza and episode of Heroes better been damn good lol...
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Sanitary erase is extremely useful. That's my method of restoring performance after some SSD abuse. I use HDDErase 3.3 and then image the OS and programs back to the drive (as virtually one long sequential write) meaning that I get the max number of clean blocks after.

For a drive that supports TRIM though, it's better to use the TRIM function, unless you see performance take a real noe dive. TRIM ofc, preserves user data, and just updates the OS's view of the SSD, making it realise that certain blocks have junk in them and can be just erased, ready for writing again later.

Unfortunately, there's as of yet, no way for you to be able to trim a RAID drive unless it's temporarily configured as a non raid member, TRIMmed, then re-instated (if that's possible, I haven't used RAID for 3 years now). This is why OCZ are offering two firmware versions for their Indilinx based SSD's. One has ATA-TRIM and the other has Garbage Collection and Block Consolidation at idle. The Garbage Collection works with RAID, and works extremely well, surpassing TRIM in keeping performance, in most cases.

I think you can still use wiper.exe on your drives Lsd. There's also a firmware update now for Crucial drives, giving you TRIM support, but as said, you can't use it in RAID.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya I have used wiper, but of course it does not work for RAID. I just mirror and plan to SE once a month or so then mirror back.

Crucial only posted the Trim firmware, and thus does not allow us to use GC in the background for RAID users. Since OCZ and Crucial drives are the same and use the same firmware (OCZ Just named differently and Crucial used Indilinux names), I am thinking of testing out 1819 firmware OCZ Posted with GC in it and see if it will work or not.

Kinda scared to try it out though, but I might sometime :)

Trim update from Crucial and OCZ Seems to be plagued with issues and poor performance, I will stick with the firmware I am on now until a new one is posted, or I try the above idea.

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I have a new computer build, with Win 7 RC1 (32-bit) on it. I have the new G2 Intel SSD (160 GB).

I want to wipe the Win 7 RC and clean install Win 7 retail (64-bit) while making sure the SSD is optimized for performance.

With the G2 do I need to bother doing an erase and imaging first, or should I just go ahead and do a clean install and let TRIM take care of maximizing the number of clean blocks?

With a G2 you could probably get away with just Quick Formating and then doing a normal re-install. Unlike the G1 drive I have, your Random Read/Writes will always stay about the same, even without TRIM. In actual fact, it's the G1 drives that would benefit more from TRIM. G1 random 4K figures drop by a third on a "dirty" drive. Doing a HDDErase doesn't add much time to the install process so you may as well do that. Imaging is also a great convenience tool. Like I say, not 100% essential but good to have in case things go wrong. If for example your drive dies or something happens to make the drive unbootable, simply restore the image to absolutely any drive and you have your PC working again. Sweet.

Have you updated your drive with the TRIM firmware Intel released earlier last month? If not then you currently can't use TRIM. If you did then you're OK. Note the firmware was withdrawn as it broke a fair few drives.

To be thorough, you could always run a manual TRIM from the Intel SSD Toolbox if you have the TRIM firmware flashed. Also creating a large file, say 3-4GB, then deleting it completely (not putting it in the Recycle Bin) will trigger a TRIM. This is sometimes necessary to kick start the process. I

Hopefully Intel will release an updated firmware that fixes the dead drive issue soon. The firmware also increased the sequential write speed of your 160GB drive from ~75MB/s to ~100MB/s, so it's well worth the update when it's safe to do so.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Thanks. If I choose to do the HDDerase, what and which version do I use for the G2?

Yes, I didn't catch the firmware release before it was pulled. Once Intel fixes and releases the new firmware, can I just TRIM my SSD once and bring it back to factory freshness? Or would I have to start over with a wipe?

I'm not sure I understand, is the Intel toolbox only useful if you already have the firmware? Are there other things in the toolbox?

The toolbox will only allow a manual TRIM if you have the firmware, that's correct. Along with the ability to run the manual TRIM it also contains drive monitoring tools such as a section that reads the SMART data (auto diagnostics).

When Intel sort the firmware out, yes, you should be able to flash and Windows 7 will start using TRIM. there have been times though where TRIM doesn't kick in until a significant event forces its use. After this event TRIM functions normally from then on. Mostly you can delete a large file and then Windows will sync itself with the condition of the data on the SSD and get TRIMming. Sometimes there is a problem with the Windows volume bitmap n ot updating and in this case using Disk management to shrink the OS partition by a small amount (eg 1GB), reboot and then expand the partition again.

There's no way to truely "see" TRIM at work, but if you watch the HDD LED, a couple of seconds after erasing a large file, you should see the activity light stay solid for a couple of seconds as it TRIMs the flash blocks. This happens quick so something like a 10GB file is needed to see a definite response.

For all Intel SSD's the most recent version of HDDErase that works with them is Version 3.3. Version 4 doesn't detect the drives. Also it's important that you set your SATA ports to Legacy IDE mode. If set to RAID or AHCI, HDDErase won't see the drive. You can then change back to the optimum for the Intel drives (AHCI with Native mode on) before installing your OS.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

What's the difference bewteen sanitary erase and HDDErase?

Also, if the need for TRIM or wiper tools is so the OS can write files to free flash cells, does this mean SSDs without TRIM or wiper don't actually erase anything?

Sanitary Erase has to be run in a 32bit Windows environment to work. SE also needs the target drive to not be the OS drive if using it from within Windows. You can get around this by booting from your XP/Vista/7 install disk and for XP running recovery console or for Vista/7 by opting to repare the PC, then choosing "Command Prompt". As far as SE is concerned, the Recovery console/Command prompt is considered a Windows environment. You must however boot from a 32bit install disc or it won't work.

Using HDDErase is a bit easier as it can be run from any DOS boot disk. I have my copy on a bootable USB drive. I can then load my BIOS profile for Legacy IDE mode, save and exit, boot from USB, run HDDErase, reboot to BIOS, restore AHCI then image back to my config of choice.

What Trim does is synhronise the data the SSD controller holds about flash cell condition (full vs empty) and what the OS knows about files that have been deleted within Windows. Like on a normal HD, when you delete a file in windows, the file isn't physically removed from the disk surface. All that happens is the reference to that file in the file system is removed, allowing the HDD to just write over that location next time. The data is only completely lost (excluding if you use a file shreader or zero the drive) when something else is written over the top. this is why there are programs available that can "Undelete" files.

A SSD can be unsure what data in its blocks has been deleted in the OS, and mistakenly treats it as needed data. this means it will copy the block to cache, then blank the block, then combine the new data to be written with the previous contents (which may not actually be needed) and write it to the block. TRIM will mark this Garbage data as not needed, meaning when the controller goes to write to a block with garbage in it, it can just erase and write to it right away, as if it were completely clean.

Hope this is clear. TRIM, Garbage Collection and how a SSD assigns LBA locations is quite hard to explain without going into a lot of detail.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information