Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Help me Wipeout Intel SSD with HDDerase

Default Re: Help me Wipeout Intel SSD with HDDerase

I'm reorganizing my system, and wondered about a couple of things. I'd like to use my SSD for my main system and back everything up to an external (mechanical) HDD. I'd also like to have a duplicate internal (mechanical) HDD to boot from in case anything happens to my SSD. I was planning to dump the contents of my Win 7 SSD onto an internal HDD and use that as my main system just for a while until I tweak the drive the way I want it with settings and programs until I don't plan to do any more major program installs or deletes. Then image (or is it clone?) the tweaked HDD and using psycho's method of imaging/cloning it as one large file (not sector by sector), and then dumping it back onto the SSD to use as my main drive again. I would end up with a fast main working drive (SSD), a backup drive (external HDD) and a perfectly fresh and already tweaked Win 7 bootable drive (internal HDD) to use like a spare tire in case the SSD failed or got corrupted until I got around to replacing or fixing the SSD.

Q: I'm not sure about the terminology, but is it possible to actually boot from a 'clone' or 'image' using Acronis? Does Acronis also do incremental backups?

Q: If I have two internal drives, and my main boot drive becomes either corrupted or badly infected with a virus, will it affect the other internal drive ? My external drive should be safe, right?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Can I boot from a clone/image". If you mean can you use a clone/image file stored on a HDD, then no. If you mean that if you image/clone a bootable drive to a spare drive, can you boot from it, that's a yes.

I wouldn't recommend you keep a spare boot drive intended for this puropse inside the machine. If you do get a virus and it has the ability to play around with files on the HDD, deleting and modifying etc then it will almost certainly effect the spare if the virus gets that far. Windows also has |"features" like system restore, recycle bin etc that store hidden files and folders on all drives in the system. Not always, but sometimes, seemingly at random.

There are other things that can take out a HDD, including power surges and lightning strikes. If your spare drive is in the machine then it has an equal chance of getting fried.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Can I boot from a clone/image". If you mean can you use a clone/image file stored on a HDD, then no. If you mean that if you image/clone a bootable drive to a spare drive, can you boot from it, that's a yes.
    Thanks, yes I meant the latter. What do you mean by you can't use a clone/image on a HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend you keep a spare boot drive intended for this puropse inside the machine. If you do get a virus and it has the ability to play around with files on the HDD, deleting and modifying etc then it will almost certainly effect the spare if the virus gets that far. Windows also has |"features" like system restore, recycle bin etc that store hidden files and folders on all drives in the system. Not always, but sometimes, seemingly at random.
    Ok. Good to know. Could you possibly suggest a good arrangement in a system for a single user and non-networked single system drive to have a bootable back up HDD ready to go at a moment's notice then? Would it just be an external HDD, and then hot swap it with the bricked/corrupted internal drive?

Pyscho, is the correct terminology "image" or "clone"? What is the difference, and which one do you do when you use your personal method to restore free flash blocks on your SSD?

I just meant that you can't boot from an image file stored on a HDD in a folder, but only from an image that is applied to the boot disk. It would be a handy feature though, probably requiring a bootable USB key with a special loading program on it. This way you could have a bootable HDD and have several different OS images stored on there as regular files, and be able to choose to load to one of those instead. I know using multi-boot is similar but the images would be compressed meaning they'd take up less space etc.

Probably the best solution would be to have your spare boot drive in a eSATA 300MB/s enclosure. This way you can instantly hook it up and boot from it using the [F12] boot menu etc. You could also store the drive in the case but without the SATA power and data cables connected. This way, the drive will be fine in the case of a power surge and is safe from the rare occurrence of a virus infection.

I use Acronis True Image Home 2010. Before that I used True Image 8, but it was getting a bit dated (2005). It does incremental backups too, to save time. There's also a great feature that automatically replaces all drivers in the OS image with others that you provide via USB stick. This means that you can restore a generic image to different machines and finish up with all the correct drivers installed for a finished system. I use this when building PC's. I have an unregistered image of XP, Vista 32 and 64, Windows 7 32 and 64 all saved to DVD's. I then use the image of what ever OS the customer's paid for, along with a USB stick full of drivers, select the apropriate ones, restore the image and then register the OS using their genuine key.

I suppose in a very loose sense the terms Image and Clone are slightly interchangable, if only by common mistake. To me, a saved copy of a bootable/non bootable drive is an image. Clone or cloning is when you add a blank HDD to your system (when upgrading etc) and clone your boot drive/data drive to it. A clone for me is a direct disk to disk imaging without any storage of the image in between, just a direct restore. The term mirror can also be used and can mean both, depending on the context it's used in eg "I mirrored my boot drive to a spare" or "I saved a mirror of my boot drive to DVD" etc.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information