Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raid bug/feature or incorrect usage?

Default Re: Raid bug/feature or incorrect usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I meant in BIOS Standard Settings the 750 & 500 show as master and slave in channel 4.
    You'd probably have the same problem with 3 drives in non raid configuration, so either 2 drives, or 2 raids, or 1 drive and 1 raid configurations are possible.
    I am not familiar with the board or SSDs but what is the reason you can't use the SSDs raid in the jmicron ports?

In bios standard settings the 750 shows as master and the raid stripe shows as slave (labeled as "performance" in the screencap). The 500 doesnt show at all.

The use of the ssd's in the intel controller is just that its the optimal usage for them as the intel has better throughput and the ssd's are my boot drive/apps drive so im looking for max performance ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Just a thought, I am assuming Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode is IDE, have you tried AHCI?
    hmm good question. I'll have to have a look. I know the intel controller is in AHCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    There aren't many people running on the JMicron controllers to be honest. You have alot of RAID drives. Many have enough room on their Intel controller.

I nderstand your frustration. As Chike suggested, try running the JMicron in AHCI mode. Also see if you can update to the latest driver (go to JMicron rather than the Gigabyte Site).

If this doesn't work, I'd strongly recommend purchasing a stand alone RAID card.
    im using EVERY single sata and ide controller on the board

A standalone raid card isn't physically possible for this machine as its maxed out inside and there is no space left (2 x 8800GT's with custom coolers + 1 x X-fi card take up all the room).

I've thought about what I can do with this and i've come to the conclusion that this is a limitation with the jmicron controller and how it handles its raid/jbod port allocation.

As such I think i'll rotate some disks around and create a second stripe set from another 750 I have spare in a usb caddy with the existing 750. This should allow full usage of the 4 ports.
    Last edited by Koops; 11-06-2009 at 05:27 AM.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F9a Bios
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Corsair 6 Sticks of TR3X3G1600C9
    2 x Albatron 8800GT. Zalman coolers. Iandh heatsinks
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

I thought i'd update this post just incase someone else (or myself in another 12 months lol) tries to find the answer for this.

Well, almost a year on and I hadn't found a solution and had been running 1 port short all this time.

I had purchased yet another ssd and upon opening my case again found myself back at this same issue.

However this time there were more google hits for this issue and only 1 hinted as the root cause.

Recap on the config

jmicron sata controller
    Controller 0
    -320gb
    -320gb
    Raid status : Performance (Raid 0)
    Controller 1
    - 500gb
    - 750gb
    Raid status : none

Result : 750gb OR 500gb is unable to be seen @ bios or windows level. Swapping disks follows the first disk until you remove the raid disks.

I have now found what I believe to be the solution just havn't implemented it yet as I needed to backup everything else on the disks that were on this controller.

In short, its a software option to ENABLE the extra ports in a "mixed mode" operation.

From what I can tell if any of the ports are in raid you need to explicitly choose "Normal (Port Multipler)" to activate BOTH ports on the other non-raid portion of the jmicron controller. Then to be able to see these non-raid drives in windows you need to install the "GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver".

Raid driver to see non raid drives. Who would have thought!
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

if i was you i would run all 4 drives on the intel controler it proforms much better
    put both samsung 320 in a strip

the set up a second strip for the other 2 drives

and turn the jmico off

thats just what i would do
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-dredd View Post
    if i was you i would run all 4 drives on the intel controler it proforms much better
    put both samsung 320 in a strip

the set up a second strip for the other 2 drives

and turn the jmico off

thats just what i would do
    But I can't the intel controller was already full!
    That would also have been side stepping the issue that I couldn't use all ports on the jmicron controller.

intel controller
    2 x 60gb ssd's (raid 0)
    4 x 1.5tb samsung's (raid 5)

jmicron
    500gb
    750gb
    2 x 320gb (raid 0)

From what I can see I have the best performing drives on the best controller.

Regardless, this solution has now worked for me and i FINALLY have my 10 drives operating at the same time.

note: Change to normal mode will DESTROY any data on the two disks connected to that particular controler in question (0 or 1). The other pair will retain their data (but you should always backup anyway just to be sure!)
    Last edited by Koops; 06-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    1 x ATI 5870
    Windows 7 64bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to see you found a solution for your issue, and thanks for posting it for others!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information