Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hyper-V on GA-965G-DS3

Default Hyper-V on GA-965G-DS3

Hi,

I have the following system:

Board: GA-965G-DS3 rev 1.0
    CPU: Pentium Dual Core E2160 (1.8 GHz)
    BIOS: F10m (the latest, I think)
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800 (4 x 1 GB modules)

I know that CPU doesn't support Intel VT and I want to run Server 2008 and Hyper-V on the system. Is it enough for me to purchase a CPU that supports Intel VT like the E5300 (SPEC: SLGTL) or does this system need anything else? I can see in the BIOS a setting for the NX bit which I know Hyper-V requires but I don't see any setting that mentions Intel VT.

I'd would appreciate some advice as I can get a SLGTL E5300 for about $75 and that would be a nice, cheap upgrade to let me run Hyper-V.

Thanks,

JS

Default Re: Hyper-V on GA-965G-DS3

Thanks for all the feedback.

I figured I would reply to my own question since I bit the bullet and bought the E5300. Once installed on my GA-965G-DS3 there is now a new BIOS option to turn Intel VT on or off that wasn't there before. The Intel Processor Identification Utility now confirms that the system supports VT and so Hyper-V should work fine.

As an aside, the E5300 has overclocked brilliantly. I upped the FSB from 800 to 1066 so the CPU is now running at 3.45 GHz at stock voltage with the boxed heatsink/fan. Nice improvement over 2.60 GHz and great for such a bargain CPU.

JS

Hello! I do hope you see this message, I've been looking for a vendor that guarantees the SLGTL e5300 and can't find anyone.

Is there any chance you could let us know where you found this chip? I don't care if it's canada-only or a local shop or anything :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lookingfor View Post
    Hello! I do hope you see this message, I've been looking for a vendor that guarantees the SLGTL e5300 and can't find anyone.

Is there any chance you could let us know where you found this chip? I don't care if it's canada-only or a local shop or anything :)
    I got it from a local store here in Toronto. They were able to read the sSpec off the box over the phone. The place is called Canada Computers and they have lots of stores in and around Toronto. You can also order online from Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.. I can't tell you whether every E5300 they'll ship is the SLGTL but all the ones at the store I went to on College St. were.

Sorry it took me a while to reply...

JS

Thread Information