Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R - SATA settings for XP (BIOS)

Default GA-EP45-UD3R - SATA settings for XP (BIOS)

I'm not confident I'm using the best settings for XP in my BIOS for my SATA II drives. I've found the following settings:

• SATA RAID/AHCI: DISABLE/ENABLE/AHCI
    • SATA AHCI MODE: DISABLE/AHCI (VISTA only so ignore, assume good for Win 7 also I guess)
    • SATA PORT 0-3 NATIVE: DISABLE/ENABLE
    • ONBOARD SATA/IDE DEVICE: ENABLE/DISABLE
      • If enabled: IDE/AHCI/RAID-IDE

Also, is there any argument if favor of S1 or S3 for Power Management on XP? If Win 7 then?
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 10-26-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R - SATA settings for XP (BIOS)

bump
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    I'm not confident I'm using the best settings for XP in my BIOS for my SATA II drives. I've found the following settings:

• SATA AHCI MODE: DISABLE/AHCI (VISTA only so ignore, assume good for Win 7 also I guess)

Also, is there any argument if favor of S1 or S3 for Power Management on XP? If Win 7 then?
    This is an easy question to answer
    SATA RAID/AHCI should have three choices RAID AHCI or IDE mode-This really comes down to AHCI or IDE mode because RAID is not common on desktop PCs. Some people think they are getting best performance by RAID 0 setup but it really creates the possibility for data loss (if one drive goes south). Use AHCI if you have a drive that supports the features that AHCI enables ie NCQ or native command queing or hot plug capability. Read up on your hard drive capabilities on the home web page. Then choose accordingly between the two modes. IDE mode is for most other drives with no special features.
    SATA AHCI Mode Vista and win 7 EDIT I think this is only for the EP45-UD3 board not the UD3R which is what you have so it should not be in your BIOS
    SATA port 0-3 mode either on or off it does not matter Check your operating system requirements and refer to your manual I have it enabled on my rig.
    Onboard SATA/IDE device This should be only for IDE hard drives why would there be a SATA option? Oh maybe its an extra SATA controller that can be run in SATA or IDE mode I guess user choice on this oneOne more thought is that some programs will not run in AHCI mode like Express recovery 2 and maybe the BIOS image utility in the BIOS(back up to Hard drive a copy of BIOS) the original backup BIOs will still work however. Look at you mobo software readmes first before you make decisions but I think you want speedy hard drive so AHCI would be the choice IMO. (provided your hardware allows of course.)
    MadMax out
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 10-27-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: sp
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    This is an easy question to answer
    1)SATA RAID/AHCI should have three choices RAID AHCI or IDE mode-This really comes down to AHCI or IDE mode because RAID is not common on desktop PCs. Some people think they are getting best performance by RAID 0 setup but it really creates the possibility for data loss (if one drive goes south). Use AHCI if you have a drive that supports the features that AHCI enables ie NCQ or native command queing or hot plug capability. Read up on your hard drive capabilities on the home web page. Then choose accordingly between the two modes. IDE mode is for most other drives with no special features.
    2)SATA AHCI Mode Vista and win 7 EDIT I think this is only for the EP45-UD3 board not the UD3R which is what you have so it should not be in your BIOS
    3)SATA port 0-3 mode either on or off it does not matter Check your operating system requirements and refer to your manual I have it enabled on my rig.
    4)Onboard SATA/IDE device This should be only for IDE hard drives why would there be a SATA option? Oh maybe its an extra SATA controller that can be run in SATA or IDE mode I guess user choice on this oneOne more thought is that some programs will not run in AHCI mode like Express recovery 2 and maybe the BIOS image utility in the BIOS(back up to Hard drive a copy of BIOS) the original backup BIOs will still work however. Look at you mobo software readmes first before you make decisions but I think you want speedy hard drive so AHCI would be the choice IMO. (provided your hardware allows of course.)
    MadMax out
    So, in short are you saying that AHCI can be taken advantage of in Windows XP Pro SP3? This is the OS I'm currently using.

1) this is specific to the hard drive or the OS?
    2) seems to be specific to the OS as in not for XP but Vista (and I assume 7)
    3) didn't see anything so I'm not clear if this works in XP or not. Didn't clarify and I didn't want to assume.
    4) once set to Enable you get the three options: IDE/AHCI/RAID-IDE. I'm wondering if I can take advantage of AHCI in XP or not. I'll check on the hard drives but again I thought this was specific to the OS not the drive.

As for RAID I'm not to concerned as I quit using RAID about 2 years ago. Didn't really need it.
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 10-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

All I know is what I see.
    ATTO run on the same drive, XP Home addition, the drive is few years old 80GB SATA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    All I know is what I see.
    ATTO run on the same drive, XP Home addition, the drive is few years old 80GB SATA.
    Hmm...not really a big difference. AHCI looks more consistent in it's graph but not sure it's worth the switch. Not clear on which (1 - 4) to enable on the list above and settings yet. May not matter.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I am unclear on what you are asking here. I can say be sure you plug your OS Drive into SATA2_0, once you tell me what you want to run such as IDE mode (Normal SATA) AHCI or RAID I can give you proper settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I am unclear on what you are asking here. I can say be sure you plug your OS Drive into SATA2_0, once you tell me what you want to run such as IDE mode (Normal SATA) AHCI or RAID I can give you proper settings.
    At this point I guess it's best to find out if it's worth using AHCI or not in XP Pro SP3 or not. If it's negligible it's not worth bothering with.

If so then I wanted to know the settings for the following in the BIOS:

• SATA AHCI MODE: DISABLE/AHCI (apparenlty VISTA only so ignore, assume good for Win 7 also I guess)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It is not worth the hassle if you are already installed. AHCI does not offer much better speeds, and is really only needed if you have to use hot-swap on a drive or something.

Otherwise I would say just wait till next time you do a clean install, then try it out

For AHCI you want these settings and your OS Disk plugged into the first yellow Port (SATA2_0) >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work just fine)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It is not worth the hassle if you are already installed. AHCI does not offer much better speeds, and is really only needed if you have to use hot-swap on a drive or something.

Otherwise I would say just wait till next time you do a clean install, then try it out

For AHCI you want these settings and your OS Disk plugged into the first yellow Port (SATA2_0) >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work just fine)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE
    Thanks! I'll deal with it when I load Win 7 from scratch (clean install). You running 7?

Also, you've helped before in another thread. Would you be willing to look at post #251 at this link? http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/stab...1/index26.html Pyscho101 had been helping but apparently is busy and I have some details left to work out.

Thread Information