Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R COM1 port problem

Default EP45-UD3R COM1 port problem

Hi, I have a EP45-UD3R board (Rev 1.1, F7 BIOS). I just bought a COM1 port cable so I can access the COM1 port out the back.

My old PC uses the COM1 port along with PuTTY to access the serial line on my old Alpha workstation in my office. I'm trying to migrate that to my new PC.

When I plug in my Alpha, PuTTY can see the characters being send to the PC, but I can't send data out the COM1 port. (I use PuTTY all the time with TELNET so that works just fine).

When I tried to reboot my PC with the COM1 port in use, the board doesn't even get past any sort of self test but shuts off the power, waits a second or two, and tries again. Over and Over and Over.

The only thing I saw in the BIOS is the "Power On by Ring". It was enabled. I disabled it, but that didn't change anything. Still can't send data out the COM1 port.

The COM1 port is enabled in the BIOS (and since Windows and PuTTY can see the port and receive characters I know that something partially works - I have the right baud rate, stop bits, etc.).

At first I thought I had something screwy with PuTTY or Windows XP (Pro SP3), but since the board power cycles over and over with the serial line plugged into the COM1 port, I'm thinking that I have some hardware issue.

The same cable, DB9 adapter, Alpha, etc. all work just fine with my old PC (also using PuTTY and Windows XP Pro SP3).

Any suggestions to get the real COM1 port working?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3R COM1 port problem

Very well could be this cable/adapter is not compatible, it happens. Is this the cable on the list of compatible cables for the board?

Yes the COM1 adapter was listed on eBay as the GIGABYTE model. The pinout for the cable matches the pinout in the MB's manual. My next step is to get my VOM and physically check the pinouts myself.

Could some shorted pins cause the power to cycle on/off during POST like I saw?

Yes, a short can cause what you describe for sure. Can you test this cable on another board possibly? If not, please test it with the VOM as you mentioned

Even though it said Gigabyte on eBay it still may not be compatible, you may need the exact one Gigabyte offers. Incompatibles happen like this with MANY things, so you never know for sure if something will work unless you get the exact one the company offers.

This is the one I mean for this board, you can call Gigabyte and order one (Let me know if you need a # to call, if so also let me know where you live)

12CF1-1CM001-32R
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Accessories - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

I certainly don't have another MB to test with. I did try to find the real GIGABYTE part but I couldn't find an online dealer that sells them (I'm in New Hampshire USA). I didn't know I could get them directly from GIGABYTE.

I'll check the cable in the next day or two, but it just might be quicker for me to get the real one. Please let me know the # to call.

You should be able to order one from Gigabyte California but I am not 100% sure of that, they may refer you to Taiwan to order.

Here is the CA office info >>
    GIGABYTE

# in case the above link is broken when you look too :)
    Tel:1-626-854-9338
    Sorry about the link above, unless it worked for you, it did not work for me just now is why I say that. It was correct?

New link here for main accessory list just in case
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Accessory

Thread Information