Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, you guys are awesome

Default Re: Wow, you guys are awesome

I did put a jumper on the CLR_CMOS before I flashed the BIOS but only for about 30 seconds and did not remove the battery. And now that I've read the directions, I did not hold the power button.

Yikes, though. Will I need to reflash after clearing the CMOS? And what about the Legacy USB Storage Detect option being gone? Can I still flash from a USB drive?
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    Bios version F10 dated 1/27/2010
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with the cooling fan supplied w/processor
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K1000.C 1.0TB
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW
    Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D

Tell ya what. I'll try the overnight CMOS clear. I see in the other post that it will not erase the BIOS.
    It's nearly bedtime here (I'm a morning person, not a night person.) Then I'll load optimized defaults again and put in the P45 recommended basic settings and report back.
    Thanks again for the ongoing help.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Chike is offline Senior Member

No, no need to reflash after clearing CMOS.
    In most cases a few seconds are enough, sometimes 20-30 minutes are required, and an overnight clear in rare cases.
    My thinking is, if this is not set as it should, other settings might be also.

Try Ctrl+F1 in main BIOS screen and see if it bring back Legacy USB Storage Detect, but the easiest way is simply to plug the USB stick and see if it is detected.

In windows? or in Qflash?

Well, it is detected in Windows.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by wallypiper View Post
    In windows? or in Qflash?
    Q-Flash or hard disk boot order, try both.

Nevermind. It's there but they have changed the name of it to just "USB storage function". In the description to the right, it refers to "Legacy" USB function.
    So I'm off to try an overnight CLR-CMOS. See you tomorrow.

PS. Can I make a bootable USB drive?
    Last edited by wallypiper; 04-08-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I flashed to F10. Optimized defaults set FSB to 333 (per CPUZ and as reported in the BIOS). But the Memory Frequency is still set at 1066. The Optimized Defaults settings for the ram timing was 5-7-7-24. I changed that to 5-5-5-15 per Corsair spec. In fact, I went through all the recommended settings as above and set them. I'll make a new list and report it shortly.

In F10, the Legacy USB Storage Detect is gone, no longer listed as an option. So now I'm a little worried about flashing the BIOS in the future as I don't have a floppy and have always used a USB drive to do it. I thought that that function was necessary to flash the bios from a USB drive.

Before I did this, wifey was at the box and it had three BSOD's in less than 30 minutes - variety of causes shown.

I'm going to reboot and right down the BIOS settings, then run some Memtest86+. I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    This is totaly odd, it should default to 800.
    Maybe an overnight CMOS clear with a jumper on CLR_CMOS and the battery out will fix that, have you tried it already?
    See second part of this post (Clearing the CMOS)
    Some Memory may be picked up properly be EPP settings, so this could be ok that it defaults at 1066

Nevermind. It's there but they have changed the name of it to just "USB storage function". In the description to the right, it refers to "Legacy" USB function.
    So I'm off to try an overnight CLR-CMOS. See you tomorrow.

PS. Can I make a bootable USB drive?
    I see you found it! Ya they changed the name.

Yes you can make a bootable USB drive, instructions are in the BIOS flashing guide. This is not needed for Qflash though, just so you know.

Once you get settled we will help you with your settings. I could not, but I am not sure what you plans are or what you are in the middle of so I will wait to advise settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Some Memory may be picked up properly be EPP settings, so this could be ok that it defaults at 1066
    XMP is disabled, it should not use EPP.

Default Fresh start?

Did a CLR-CMOS overnight with the battery removed.
    Booted to BIOS and loaded optimized defaults.
    F10, save and exit.
    Reboot, del to BIOS.

Result:
    Pretty much everything is in AUTO in optimized defaults.
    That means that XMP is ENABLED.
    Mem frequency is at 1066 and timings are, finally, set to 5-5-5-15 by the BIOS.
    The optimized default settings are probably not great for some things. DRAM Voltage, for example, is only 1.80 and I am pretty sure from previous experience that that won't work well.

So I'm going to at least turn up the DRAM voltage and try leaving XMP ENABLED.

As a side note, a couple of odd things in Windows. I've lost my network icon in the system tray. The network is obviously working (I'm here, aren't I) but the icon is gone and turning it off and on didn't bring it back. There was a looong pause between the screen going black and the WIN7 logo appearing during boot, but no apparent problems booting.

Windows adds an hour to the CMOS time, because of DST, I suppose so I have to go back to the BIOS and move the time back an hour.

Where do I want to go?
    I would LIKE for the RAM to run at 1066. It should be able to. So help tweaking the settings and timings to make that happen are what I'd really like. I don't really want to OC the CPU. And I'd be willing to slow the RAM down in exchange for stability. I'll run Memtest86+ after I turn up the DRAM voltage, for a short time this morning and then leave it running for a long test when I leave for work.

What about trying FAILSAFE DEFAULTS to see if the BIOS will back off on the RAM speed? Just out of curiosity, to see what happens since the default to 1066 seems to be a little mysterious. Maybe if I could get it to back down once, it would stay there when I reload OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Don't believe what you see in BIOS, check the timings in windows with MemSet or CPU-Z.
    The timings are usaully changed by Performance Enhance if set to Turbo. Does it still set DDR-1066 when XMP disabled or DDR-800 as it should?
    XMP will set voltage as needed, check PC Health Status.

The clear could be the reason for the long pause and network not showing in tray. Not sure how it is in windows 7 maybe you need to re-enable the tray.
    DST can be set to change automatically, again not sure how it is in Windows 7.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information