Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3L keeps rebooting

Question EP45-UD3L keeps rebooting

Hi guys I just got EP45-UD3L and I am wondering if this annoying "problem" I am experiencing is normal or not, well in case someone else who owns an EP45-UD3L has also experienced it before.

I recently bought a new EP45-UD3L to replace my old 965P-DS3 which suffered a mishap about 2 years ago... what happened was one of the USB port on the chassis got damaged causing the + and - to short together. The computer failed to boot until I removed the affected USB cables from the mobo (cables felt very hot suggesting a short indeed) .

Surprisingly the mobo still survived though with (very) occasional weird problems (crashing, hanging, errors recognizing harddrives, etc).

Well the mobo finally died recently. Endless automatic rebooting. The CPU and chassis fans did not even have time to spin. Was about 2 or 3 seconds each time before it restarted.

I was worried either the mobo or PSU was cranky. The computer shopped confirmed that the mobo was really dead and the PSU was Okay. So I bought a new EP45-UD3L as replacement.

=============
    Back to the problem:

The PC seems fine so far. Though I noticed something weird. I have 2 GBs of RAM (2x 1GB modules). If I plugged them into Slot1 & Slot3 for dual channel it works fine. If I plug them into Slot2 & Slot 4 it works fine too...

Except I experience the rebooting problem again! Only when I use Slot2 & Slot4. The difference is the mobo reboots 5 times consistently and then everything is fine after that... it stops rebooting. Windows loads and everything seems normal...

So I am wondering...
    Is this normal for a EP45-UD3L?
    Or maybe there is something else causing/caused damage to the mobo... perhaps an detected shorted cable again somewhere?... yikes!! This is what I am really worried about
    Apologies if this is a well known problem as I did not read about it anywhere so far...

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: EP45-UD3L keeps rebooting

This problem is common to those who has it and not particular to this board.
    It may be a defective slots or it might be BIOS settings/vers issue. What BIOS virsion is currently installed?
    Coult you post a screen caprure of MemSet main window(click >>) for both memory configuratins, and one of it's spd(clcik spd) window, which configuration does not matter.

You can download MemSet from http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762
    Alt+PrintScreen will capture the front active window only.
    You can use am image hosting service such as tinypic.com instead attachments.

Post Re: EP45-UD3L keeps rebooting

Okay, here are the screenshots:
    http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9882/ramxx.jpg

BIOS version:
    Award Software International, Inc. F7, 8/31/2009

Chike is offline Senior Member

Ok, seems to load correct timings for both gonfigurations.
    SPD shows they are PC2-5300(DDR-667) memory, were they sold as such?
    You can try minimal setup out of case test to eliminate shorts psibility.
    Do you have or can loan another pair of memory sticks to test with?
    If you have not loaded optimized defaults yet please do save and try again.

hi Chike thanks for the replies.
    Something interesting happened though. The rebooting problem happened on any RAM modules used. However, recently the rebooting problem, which always occured on slots 2&4, became intermittent. And the occurances seems to have decreased. (Has been several days without seeing the problem). I guess it could be my power supply problem... I am checking this next.
    Thanks for the suggestions...

I don't know how well it will help here, but certain attached storage will play up with motherboard posting, if you turn off legacy usb storage, it solves this post cycle problem, but only if its like an attached card-reader or external hard drive causing it.

You might want to disable it and see if it helps even though your problem is when running ram in certain slots, it probably wont fix it up but worth a shot at that causes a symptom which is very similar to the one your describing.

best of luck :)
    Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
    : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
    : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
    GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Bongkie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hank1982 View Post
    hi Chike thanks for the replies.
    Something interesting happened though. The rebooting problem happened on any RAM modules used. However, recently the rebooting problem, which always occured on slots 2&4, became intermittent. And the occurances seems to have decreased. (Has been several days without seeing the problem). I guess it could be my power supply problem... I am checking this next.
    Thanks for the suggestions...
    Try clearing your cmos for 10mins first

Thread Information