Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
But why would you install the os on a raid 0 setup when it should not be? that is a recipe for disaster in itself. The os should never be installed on the array, especially a raid 0 for if 1 drive goes by by, then you will never recover, and have to do things all over again. I'm not asking a question, I'm pointing out a disaster in the making.
I don't understand? What's the point in using RAID 0 on a workstation in the first place then?

Of course there's double the chance of loosing the array, but so what? The last thing anyone should be worried about is loosing an OS install. It takes a mere 30 minutes to install an OS.

What shouldn't be kept on the Array is critical user data. An OS is no where near critical data.

A quick line about making sure to back up critical data is all that's needed. And btw, you clearly stated

The os should never be installed on the array,
As long as a regular backup is kept of your data, and mission critical stuff is stored off the array or backed up daily then there is no disaster in the making. This is part of what RAID0 is for on a workstation, to increase OS and application responsiveness and improve boot time etc.

Besides, even if he's just using it for data there can be a very valid reason. Things like massive indexed, searchable databases benefit greatly from being stored on a RAID array for instance.

I also don't understand the following:

The os should never be installed on the array, especially a raid 0
This implies that any RAID array shouldn't be used for the OS/important data. You emphasize RAID 0 but it clearly reads as "All RAID levels, but especially RAID0". Any other RAID level is actually safer than a single drive. That's the point of RAID levels that use redundancy, so that if a drive fails it's not a disaster.