Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I ever learn???

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Do I ever learn???

The Mushkin Ascent heat spreaders are too thick when you place modules in adjacent memory slots on most (or all) GB boards and some other brands. This issue is mentioned on the Mushkin web page for the Ascent memory, but it's not very prominent.
    There's no problem with their XP, HP, or standard memory modules.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I know profJim. I'm whining. Just that I don't buy new memory every time I upgrade (does everyone?)...not that wealthy and I've never seen DDR3 catch fire or serve as a compelling reason to go that route at this time.

If you see my sig, I ended up with the sticks that I had planned for the Pastor's rig. They fit fine. Again, why do they have to be stupid close and why can't Mushkin design for the lowest common denominator? Gosh, what if I had wanted a set to end up with 8GB? 4x2GB?

I'm looking at both vendors, i.e. any MB maker and any memory maker to look at the practicality of their designs.

Mea culpa on this one but it really shouldn't be thus. IMHO.

Snivel away, we're a somewhat sympathetic bunch.
    I just checked the Mushkin website and they've changed the web pages. None of their DDR2 Ascent web pages make any mention now of possible issues with the width of their modules. I don't know if they've redesigned the Ascent modules so that they will now work in adjacent memory slots. While I really like my Mushkin memory, they do a poor job of providing more detailed memory specs. Other vendors often have downloadable PDF files that detail memory specs and sometimes include diagrams that show the memory's physical dimensions.

I'm not real pleased with the GB memory slot setup, even with "standard" memory. Each pair of adjacent memory slots doesn't allow much room for air circulation/cooling between the modules when you have all four slots filled. I disagree with your suggestion of designing for the lowest common denominator, especially when it comes to high end offerings. I've long since learned that it's necessary to thoroughly research any prospective purchases. This includes reading product reviews from respected websites, where they often point out potential problems when it comes to physically installing components in your system.

I recently installed a Freezer 7 Pro (rev: 2) cpu cooler in my backup system. It's an excellent middle tier product that does a nice job of keeping things cool, but.... my 996599 Mushkin memory in slot #1 comes awfully close to interfering with the cpu h/s fan's protective fan "cage". Who'da thunk it with such a compact h/s fan setup.

For what it's worth, my Mushkin memory has always been very cool to the touch, even with elevated room temperatures and also when I've had my mobo running outside of the computer case. My infrared thermometer shows that my memory is at least 10 (C) degrees cooler than my Ballistix 2.2 volt memory.

Good luck with your new system!
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Snivel is a good word. Of course I research the hell out any purchase EXCEPT my options changed unexpectedly and profoundly when I upgraded. Reality is I flat don't have the money to change out the part..in this case memory... as it is "supposed" to be generic...to the degree possible with every compatible technology upgrade. Social Security Disabilty, two divorces and an 8 year old New Beetle are the sum total of my assets..save the computer, so I really try to stay ahead of the game by watching the expendatures as I do.

Would love to have three 1 or 2 TB HDDs (RAID5) and maybe a SSD...when they get the bugs out...not happening for a long while. My RAID5 will now make up my old 3x250GB drives that have been used before. I'll buy a spare next month. Then save up for bigger drives for keeping recordings of TV and music.

As long as the speed and voltages are within spec, then which MB I use should be immaterial. Of course that is an utopian view, but how many of us can buy an all new outfit, instead of incremental upgrading with every single technology advance.

How many CPU sockets have appeared for Intel since the 775? At least 2. I can't afford 2 MBs where I can afford one AM3 with the promise of staying with it for at least another generation of technology.

Case in point memory. As mentioned I bought the Ascent with the GA-EP45-UD3P board. Perfect fit, perfect use. Had not expected my disappointment with the P5Q Turbo and its dead NIC. I hate workarounds if it can be avoided. Sure I could get a NIC on a card, but that does not mitigate my disappointemt with the rest of the board.

No, now that AMD is back in the game, I had a chance to jump ship due to the crazy cost of the Core 2 Quad (One of the last of the 775s). Again, as mentioned a Q9550 is pretty close performance wise and were the same price until I think yesterday (Intel dropped about $15 on Newegg)...as both the AMD CPU AND the motherboard were the same price as the Q9550. My need was a board that would run an AM3 CPU, like the Phenom II 955, yet still accept DDR2 memory. Since AMD has commited at least for awhile to the AM3 socket I could keep the DDR2 and upgrade a CPU should it become necessary...which is unlikely.

Another note on MBs. After the P5Q, I became keenly aware of how impressed I was Gigabyte...save memory slots..., especially with my experience with the GA-EP45-UD3P and GA-EP45-UD3R. Just thought the board was up a level and sure was easier to OC than the P5Q.

Closing up...I do extensive homework taking the chance that there will come a time when some component that should work, doesn't. My video card will work, my power supply, HDDs all are fine, just the memory is going to be less than ideal. My bad fortune of not having a crystal ball to tell that I'd be upgrading does not excuse Muskin or Gigabyte, IMHO. So I humbly snivel.

Your snivel is humbly accepted, best of luck and good fortune.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

I was thinking about a P5Q in the past, so whats bad with it other than the dead NIC?
    Now I see that you like the same socket in the AMD board and it saves upgrade monies too, good point.
    Regards(is this a british saying or what)
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

I don't use heat spreader memory. You would be better off with standard Kingston RAM and adding cooling fans to your chassis. Standard board designs don't take into account heat spreaders.

MadMax2911

The P5Q is very much up for sale for any stupid small offer + shipping. If there is no interest I'll look into RMA'ing the unit. All the parts are there. Remember this is the P5Q Turbo, not the P5Q PRO Turbo. I didn't see ANY advantage to the PRO except it can run 2 video cards. (2 cards not in the budget now...would love to have another Sapphire HD 4830...I said I was low budget but that card is underrated IMO and kicks butt for what I use it for, i.e. Flight Simulation...to set up Crossfile would be icing on the cake.

SCSIraidGURU

Oh, the luxury of 20/20 hindsight. I would not have had heat spreaders if this was my first board with the stupid slots. And I remember a day when heat spreaders looked funny...i.e. there weren't any such things. Now with high speeds/voltages and that I want them to last at least 5 years...I know an eternity...wanted heat to be my last problem.

I MAY have to build one more system before I kick the proverbial bucket, but I'm holding onto this for dear life. All this being said, the sticks I am using have been mentioned by many as a good fit, the Mushkin 996599.
    Now, here is where you "win" again. My Arctic Cooling fan isn't going to fit because of the relatively small heat spreaders on the Mushkins. So they go back as well. Crap!

AHA, looks like my tried and true Xigmatek Red Scorpion S-1283 is a perfect match. I was looking to get a bit more compact, but the Sniper case has PLENTY of room, so onward and upward!

A correction on the critisism of the P5Q being only held down by 6 screws. Well no different than my new Gigabyte. Not sure why you would shave a 1/2" off the board when that gives stability when you attach cords. Yes, I support it with my hand when plugging in anything, just why? Why are the damn memory slots so close....not for me to know at my paygrade . If anyone has insight as to why 6 screws rather than 9 (9 not part of the ATX spec?) love to hear it.

Countdown has begun...3 hrs to the UPS truck with my new CPU.

Ciao

Not sure why you would shave a 1/2" off the board when that gives stability when you attach cords. Yes, I support it with my hand when plugging in anything, just why? Why are the damn memory slots so close....not for me to know at my paygrade . If anyone has insight as to why 6 screws rather than 9 (9 not part of the ATX spec?) love to hear it.
    Good old fashioned cost-cutting I suppose. Less board means less copper. In the production phase there's a fair amount of copper on 1/2" of PCB, unetched.

4830's are good cards. Any 4800 or 4700 series is moe than capable of giving good results at sensible resolutions. Gaming on a 32" at 2556x1920 isn't practicle, but then again nobody but the very rich would attempt such a thing. I don't fancy having to sit 3 miles away from the PC to get the whole monitor in my field of vision. I'd need better glasses for that.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

My workstation is very highend. I don't worry about heat. The killer of RAM is voltage from the power supply. Invest in a Tripp Lite Line Conditioner to protect your input voltage/current. Make sure you have adequate inbound and outbound fans for cooling. Make sure the room stays cool. I use recommend Kingston RAM for my workstation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information