Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS4 Dual Channel Reboot

Default EP45-DS4 Dual Channel Reboot

Hi,

I just bought a new GA-EP45-DS4 motherboard, and installed it with all my old parts..
    When I first turned it on, it was stuck in a reboot loop where I'd turn it on, and after a couple of seconds, once the system was powered up and the CPU fan started going, it would turn itself off, then a couple seconds later it would turn itself back on again, in an infinite loop...

My first diagnosis was to remove a couple of sticks of RAM (I was using 4x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800).. This fixed the problem and the system booted up, I have since gone into the BIOS and set things up, and installed windows etc etc..

After that I played around with different combinations of RAM, and it turns out if I have RAM in any dual channel configuration it will not boot properly..
    I have also tried some other ram (OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 1066) with the same results..

So my problem now is, I have 4 sticks of dual channel RAM, but can only use 2 sticks in single channel configuration..

Can anybody help me fix this problem..???

Here are my system specs:
    GA-EP45-DS4 Motherbooard (BIOS version F9, updated from F8)
    Q9550 CPU
    RAM mentioned above.
    Gigabyte 9800GT 512mb video
    650W PSU
    X-fi sound card
    3x 320GB Seagate SATAII drives in RAID0
    Pioneer DVD-RW SATA

Default Re: EP45-DS4 Dual Channel Reboot

Hello,

I bought an EP45-DS4 last week and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

Running the same bios (F9)

Single channel = boots just fine.
    Dual channel = hangs during Win7 loading, or just plain refuses to post.

I'm using 2x2gb Geil PC2-6400 800Mhz (5-5-5-15)
    Last edited by exiges; 11-11-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added more info

Update..

After looking around various threads on this form, I found one post that suggested increasing the MCH Voltage + ICH Voltage from 1.10 to 1.22

I've just updated mine to 1.2 and it's booted fine.. time will tell how stable it is though.

I'm hoping that voltage increase isn't quietly burning anything out.. as this is a 24/7 PC

Mobo is running 36 degsC

Anyway of knowing how hot the Northbridge is running ?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Dual Channel Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by exiges View Post
    Update..

After looking around various threads on this form, I found one post that suggested increasing the MCH Voltage + ICH Voltage from 1.10 to 1.22

I've just updated mine to 1.2 and it's booted fine.. time will tell how stable it is though.

I'm hoping that voltage increase isn't quietly burning anything out.. as this is a 24/7 PC

Mobo is running 36 degsC

Anyway of knowing how hot the Northbridge is running ?
    Don't think you need the ICH only MCH.
    At stock FSB and proper cooling which 36c system indicate you probably have you have nothing to worry about.

Ah, right, interesting. I'll set the ICH back to standard.

I've lowered the MCH back to 1.18 and it seems to be stable still.. Ideally I want to be near as stock settings as possible, so I'll keep lowering it until I get unreliability.

As for my stock speeds, rather than run my Q6600 at 9x266Mhz, I've clocked it at 6x400Mhz to make use of the FSB/memory potential. (actually, it's set to 8x400Mhz but the SpeedStep (or whatever it's called) has the multiplier running at 6x most of the time)

OC is a different story, of course the NB will heat more but the board is built for it.
    It is recommended to run some stress tests to ensure stability not wait for random failures, and make sure temps are in acceptable range.
    It is also recommended that some settings should not be left on auto, read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by exiges View Post
    one post that suggested increasing the MCH Voltage + ICH Voltage from 1.10 to 1.22
    I just tried this and it hasn't fixed my problem.. It still switches itself off before/during the POST..

I know it is something directly related to the RAM & the BIOS because it only does it when the RAM is in slots 1 & 3, but when its in slots 1 & 2 it runs fine..

The RAM I have is:
    G.Skill DDR2 4GB(4x1GB) PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-15 1.9V-2.0V (F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR)

I also have tried the following RAM with the same results:
    OCZ DDR2 4G(2x2G) PC2-8500 1066Mhz Gold Series CL 5-6-6-18 2.1V (OCZ2G10664GK)
    Last edited by thomajar; 11-11-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomajar View Post
    I just tried this and it hasn't fixed my problem.. It still switches itself off before the POST..
    I will update my sig with my system specs in a bit more detail, hopefully someone can help me..
    Please follow steps 1-4 in this post.
    Is it a 4 sticks kit or 2 of 2? Are all the same model/part number?
    Can you run only 2 sticks in dual-channel mode, e.g. slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 4?
    The 4 sticks you used at the beggining must have been in dual-channel mode, what have changed since?

Quote Originally Posted by thomajar View Post
    I know it is something directly related to the RAM & the BIOS because it only does it when the RAM is in slots 1 & 3, but when its in slots 1 & 2 it runs fine..

The RAM I have is:
    G.Skill DDR2 4GB(4x1GB) PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-15 1.9V-2.0V (F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR)

I also have tried the following RAM with the same results:
    OCZ DDR2 4G(2x2G) PC2-8500 1066Mhz Gold Series CL 5-6-6-18 2.1V (OCZ2G10664GK)
    So both kits run fine when in slots 2 & 4 but fail in slots 1 & 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    So both kits run fine when in slots 2 & 4 but fail in slots 1 & 3?
    Sorry no, in any dual channel configuration it fails.. So if there is memory in slots 1 & 3 it fails, or if there is memory in slots 2 & 4 it fails.. It will only run with memory in slots 1 & 2 only..
    And it is actually 2 kits of 2 (the g.skill ram) and they are both identical kits...

I'll have a look at the 4 steps thing you posted and get back to you on that..
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information